NFL Regular Season 22/23

And something tells me by Week 14, perhaps as part of this expansion of flex-scheduling, the NFL will make sure that at least those later games are on ABC and ESPN much like the later games were this season anyway.

This is how it should have been by 2017 anyway once they relaunched Thursday Night Football on free TV before Amazon.

2 Likes

Either that OR, having been demoted from the major network to the sports network ESPN is threatening to drop Monday Night football entirely because they get crappy games and crappy ratings so they want flexability to move a few better games to Monday nights…

1 Like

Yes I agree plus any such action is likely happening as Disney / ABC / ESPN restructure live sports options going into 2024 to including as rumoured an ABC / ESPN sports and entertainment spin-off via streaming as well. The latter beyond streaming has been years overdue anyway much to Disney’s financial pains in their media interests including of late.

They won’t disrupt the 2023 NFL game programming only expand it via ABC, but like in 2022 recently with the late shift to ABC simulcasts of ESPN games, you could see they were grooming their audience for something bigger coming up beyond antiquated cable.

The broadcasts included a whole lot of pitches for the existing Disney Bundle or ESPN+ as well.

2 Likes

I doubt they are threatening that though I figure they are unpleased about the status quo and have presented their new plans to the NFL and agreed to grow the profile via ABC before a new offering for which they will pay more money to the NFL for the rights.

The NFL has an interest of course to fuel Monday Night Football for improvement after its struggles for 20 years now even back to its last days on ABC. Remember the stupid Dennis Miller experiment?

I think Disney saw what Amazon has done in its first season, not that Amazon knocked it out of the park, and figured “we have to do even better as part of our core new offering(s)” and so now they are finally paving their road belatedly to move the best content away from behind the antiquated cable paywall that people have been ditching for several years including especially the awful ESPN channels.

We mentioned and cited their seemingly sudden belated awakening at Disney, as spurred by recent disastrous losses in media, recently in the streaming thread.

If there is a company in the lead without a close second that squandered and destroyed its many competitive advantages since 2003, it’s most definitely ESPN “The World Leader” and all that of a bygone era and until recent years only in the bloated thought bubble between Washington and Boston here in the US.

1 Like

Klingsbury has been punted as HC of the Cardinals:

Just wanted to mention that I believe GGirl will be starting an NFL playoff discussion thread. I had intended that this one be for the regular season, which obviously just finished. I would lock this if I could. Just sayin’.

1 Like
1 Like

here is the playoff thread

1 Like

Strevy re-signed by NYJ! :+1:

1 Like

Those Chicago Bears

I don't know where the average Bears fan is on this matter of quarterback any more, though I do know they have a surprisingly large constituency who has continued to back the failure that is Justin Fields. Okay, keep going with Fields then, and LOSE! Fine!

Otherwise, to draft pick at #1 and risk more chips on yet another unproven at the pro level? Is he a Peyton Manning? Or more recently a Joe Burrow? What other examples who looked the part as #1 draft pick in pro days and workouts and indeed showed up as advertised at the top by season two?

Their best option to me would be stability at quarterback for once via a decent veteran player instead of competing with the likes of Cleveland for the quarterback carousel.

2 Likes

i love this - retro Bills football, canadian Tim Tindale, who played at University of Western Ontario.

1 Like

oh this kinda sucks for Shepley

2 Likes

I think this is a perfect example of the financial disparity between the CFL and NFL. The linked article seems to indicate that Shepley has earned $1.2 million during his time in the NFL and has only played 30 snaps.

3 Likes

The Bears have shown a remarkable talent for failing to develop/destroying quarterback talent for a very long time.

2 Likes

he has earned exactly $1,177,763 per OverTheCap.com and is due about $300,000 or so this year.

1 Like

This feel-good story at the end of the disastrous season flew under the radar in the last weekend of play, which does not surprise me given all else that goes on for the final game day in the regular season.

This is one of two facilities I have been to for an NFL game.

The other one no longer exists in Indianapolis and yet another one was not for an NFL game in Atlanta and also was imploded.

I went to a game in September 2003 at the new stadium in Denver not long after it opened, and it’s a fine facility but now they are going to upgrade it to modern standards.

Fresh grass is hardly the only new improvement the Broncos will see at Empower Field at Mile High. In December, the franchise also announced they are planning a $100 million renovation – the largest in the history of the venue that the Broncos have called home since 2001. This will include enhancement to the videoboards, renovated suites, premium hospitality areas and improved Wi-Fi system, as well as upgrades in concessions, team store and elevators. The project is expected to be completed by the start of the 2023 season.

2 Likes

great news

1 Like

hey i didn’t know @Jon played the national anthem in the Jags game :joy:

2 Likes

It can’t be me because my mullet isn’t receding and I would be playing a Gibson.

2 Likes