NFL Refs to Work CFL Exhibition & Regular Season Games

NFL, CFL announce joint officiating program

The NFL and CFL announced Friday the creation of a joint officiating development program.

In its statement, the NFL announced that beginning this summer, a group of officials will have the chance to work as part of CFL crews during preseason and regular-season games -- in June and July. Several CFL officials will also join the NFL's Official Development Program, adding to the pool of officiating candidates.

NFL senior vice president of officiating Dean Blandino believes the partnership will strengthen the current cast of officials and cultivate more talent.

"Any time our newer officials can get more reps on the field, during practices or games, that will make them better officials," Blandino said in a statement. "The collaboration with the CFL will certainly benefit us as we prepare for the 2016 season and we look forward to welcoming our CFL officiating counterparts to our development program later this spring."

The league noted that the NFL refs participating in CFL games will serve as field and side judges, in order to minimize the impact of some of the rules differences between the two leagues.

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000655191/article/nfl-cfl-announce-joint-officiating-program]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ng-program[/url]

The partnership is a significant step in the evolution of refereeing -- a part-time job that comes with loads of pressure and even greater criticism. Any added reps should only be considered a bonus for everyone involved.

Does that mean the best officials will now leave for the NFL ? :lol:

"This historic partnership gives officials in both leagues an opportunity to hone their craft and get better through shared development activities and more snaps at the pro level," said CFL Senior Vice-President, Football GLEN JOHNSON. "[b][i]We're excited that a group of our officials will actively participate in the NFL Development Program and now have a formal path forward to be considered as prospects in their league.[/i][/b]"
So... maybe?

That said, the NFL development program for officials is almost certainly much better financed than any CFL program would be, so I can see a benefit to the CFL here. Access to better training is one of the things EVERYONE wants the zebras to have.

Wow...that's terrific. what a positive initiative.
Another large check mark for commish

Just what Canada needs... more American integration.

If stuff like this keeps up on this continent, then there will be no Canada left, and we'll just a be a US state, something some members here would love I bet.

ABSOLUTELY Agree!!!
This NFL crap keeps seeping into every aspect of the CFL. :thdn:
Every year there is discussion and tampering with the best league/game, the CFL!!
Not to mention THE RULES ARE Different :cowboy:

You’d think they would know that… oh, wait.

The league noted that the NFL refs participating in CFL games will serve as field and side judges, in order to minimize the impact of some of the rules differences between the two leagues.

Bingo slant! :thup: This is the type of cooperation that really impresses me and I’m sure impresses others who have a desire to see the CFL, and NFL for that matter, simply become better leagues of the sport of football.

Agreed, credit to Commish

Drug Policy addressed - check :thup:
Officiating addressed - check :thup:
Rule changes addressed - check :thup:
Star Player profiles increased - check :thup:
Coach pilfering addressed - check :thup:
CFL logo - oops! :thdn: :thdn:

No I don't like this. The rules are completely different. NFL officials will treat our REGULAR SEASON GAMES like training and not the real thing.

This is ridiculous, so ridiculous that before I hit 'submit' I have to reread the thread to make sure I didn't miss the April Fool's message.

No way! No no NO!!

It's good to see there are still some Canadians with a spine and sense of nationalism.

Enough American integration! Canada already struggles with a proper identity, and that won't be helped with more assimilation.

Enough American integration! Canada already struggles with a proper identity, and that won't be helped with more assimilation.
Why should we care so much about which patch of soil someone comes from? The CFL is full of Americans in every other position. The talent and knowledge they bring make it a better game. The bottom line is that they come here to play Canadian Football in Canadian cities in front of Canadian fans. I think this is a great step forward. If it will help improve officiating in the CFL, I welcome it with open arms.

Is this not what the CIS and American college football does is train refs for the pros ?
Is this the first step in going to 4 down football ?
As stated the rules are different.
with NFL refs using the CFL as a training ground ? The NFL would need the rules to be the same to ensure that their refs are trained at a high level ?
in my opinion all that we would be getting is refs in training, not the best refs available, as there would be limited space to bring refs up to CFL standards
good for NFL but not good for CFL.
Let's keep the C in our football league

It’s all about development prairiedog72, bottom line.

The CFL has been the subject of intense criticism over it’s officiating from players, coaches and fans over the past several seasons. Penalties were up 9% last year and have increased 22% since 2012. Historic partnership indeed!

Agreed. More training and mentoring is a great idea. There are enough similarities that there should be little problem integrating NFL refs, or vice versa. It’s great to see the league making an effort and trying new things to improve the quality of the officials. They should be doing everything they can, and this demonstrates that they are. Ignore the naysayers and super patriots.

I do not see the benefit of this since nfl refs are no better than cfl refs.

That’s likely true, so this agreement can help both leagues by increasing the training available to refs.

If it reduces the number of calls in the CFL, I’m all for it.

No doubt we’ll hear the nfl refs complain to the nfl about how we have the ‘eye in the sky’ and they don’t. Which I think may initially slow play but getting the right call will be the result of tremendously increased efficiency. Once it is streamlined we’ll be delighting in every match up.

Can someone elaborate on how giving NFL refs game time to hone their skills will improve CFL refs ?
In my opinion CFL refs will get less games in preseason and that alone will stifle their growth.
I may be missing something ?