NFL players in Olympics?

NFL exec: ‘desire’ to get NFL players into 2028 Olympic flag football - NBC Sports

Dont know if I like this idea as I am not sure if it would be fair to the other countries

Maybe allow only retired players?

I am sure that College players would field a good enough team

1 Like

I have to wonder whether NFL owners would want to risk their stars missing a season because of a flag football injury … remember Robert Edwards blowing out a knee playing flag football on the beach at a pro bowl … unlike the NHL, does the NFL NEED Olympics exposure?

3 Likes

Solid point. I’m going to say “no”. However, if it’s a 3rd stringer or practice roster player then I would think it would be okay.

2 Likes

Would the player want to risk an injury to his career ?

1 Like

I would want to. Most have already made millions. An Olympic Gold medal can be very valued

2 Likes

AJ works in the NFL during that season and goes to spring football after that… if he’s willing to risk it for little money then someone would risk it for flag football and as FYB as alluded to a gold medal.

And many might want that medal. The Olympics can’t have football and then start banning players because they’re too good. They tried that in the past. And don’t forget that many NFL players, I suspect most of the larger ones, probably wouldn’t be suitable for the fleet and nimble non contact game that is flag football. QB’s and receivers and DB’s should fit well. Not sure about any other position player.

The league and the player’s association will no doubt discuss participation if it comes to that as they do with the NHL and the Olympics. Perhaps new contracts will either prohibit participation or allow it on an individual basis. I have no doubt that standard contracts contain a clause prohibiting players from engaging in potentially dangerous activities such as skiing, bungee jumping, motorcycle racing, etc. Olympic flag football could be prohibited under such a clause. Players also wouldn’t be insured against injury, not a minor issue. That issue seems to come up every time the NHL is talking about Olympic participation. No player would participate and no owner would permit participation without that insurance.

3 Likes