NFL overtime format sucks

Kansas City goes down the field and scores. Buffalo could have done the same.

I say adopt the NCAA-like format for overtime. The game had a rip-off ending to it.

3 Likes

"Whoever wins the coin toss in overtime wins the game," is something I'd expect to see in, NFL... The Board Game. The heartless swine who drew up THAT format was probably the same sadistic jerk who invented golf (which I foolishly love).

3 Likes

worst thing about NFL to me.

not crazy about CFL ot either, but it is better

3 Likes

There we go. It always makes my day to hear someone say something nice about the CFL even though when closely examined that 'something nice' was only partially nice. Still I think it's safe to say most people on this thread believe that the CFL overtime format sucks way less than the NFL overtime format.

We suck less! We suck less! Go CFL!!! :smiley: :+1:

5 Likes

If this was a CFL game today all we would hear is the CFL defence is terrible .

Then it's because 2 U sports Canadians played in the game on defence and have to be bad just because the NCAA something something is so amazing and it's super duper athletes against Canadians who never played a complicated NCAA program with 50 coaches are very weak because they never work out in Canada and all the teams have slow footed players and they eat cheese burgers and poutine all day and don't understand complicated systems like man on man or zone coverage because we are actually thinking it's hockey and try to hip check the guy with the ball instead of tackle like they do in the states .

That about sums up much of the negativity .

4 Likes

I don't pretend to understand why it appears that so many Canadians are so negative about 'all things Canadian'. Maybe there's a large herd of Canucks somewhere with low self esteem (possibly in Toronto) who suffer from that 'grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' mentality.

I can't imagine not appreciating a Canadian version of the kind of game we saw between KC and Buffalo (should I be lucky enough to see one).

3 Likes

[quote="Maaax, post:6, topic:76236"]
...why it appears that so many Canadians are so negative about 'all things Canadian'. Maybe there's a large herd of Canucks somewhere with low self esteem (possibly in Toronto) who suffer from that 'grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' mentality.I can't imagine not appreciating a Canadian version of the kind of game we saw between KC and Buffalo (should I be lucky enough to see one).

One I remember .....

1 Like

The defence was terrible...

I'll take Saturday nights slugfest at Lambeau 10 out of every 10 times over that last night...

1 Like

Game was decided by the flip of a coin. Buffalo should have been given the opportunity to respond.

2 Likes

The best football game I have ever seen but people still want to criticize something?
The flip of the coin didn't decide the game, the game was decided because the Chiefs could move the ball and the Bills defense couldn't stop them.
The game was also decided when the Bills couldn't stop the Chiefs when there was 13 seconds left in the game.

4 Likes

Probably one of the best football games I've ever seen.

To the earlier point, how would you improve OT in the CFL? I think it's perfect.

1 Like

NFL OT rules are that you win the game if you score a TD

If KC had of kicked a FG then Buffalo would get a chance to tie/win

Strange to me how many people worry about OT esp as NFL is the "lower scoring" league compared to us up north

1 Like

The 2016 Grey Cup game was a barn burner . 39-33 OT . I think Ottawa winning is more a negative aspect and is judged on the participants but dang that ending was filled with some extreme plays . That OT game was superior to last night's ending .

The 1989 Grey Cup game as well , I won't keep naming them .

I will say that was one of the best games I have watched last night in the NFL ever but the CFL has equalled that entertainment .

Last nights was fresh but the defence was terrible in the end which I think was shocking for the Bills as they had a great defence .

The one punt return that was not fair catched seemed to mess with the Bills punt coverage with a great return .

Hang time issue ? Have not looked back to see but most likely .

I enjoyed the game last night though even though the prevent defence ended up looking ridiculous porous last night with 13 seconds left .

If a CFL team did that same thing last night you would hear bush league from people and why I hate the CFL from casual observers who maybe bet on the game or are looking for a blemish because it's not the NFL .

2 Likes

So the drawback of the CFL & NCAA OT formats seems to be that not all aspects of the game are incorporated (clock management, special teams, field position strategy).

The NFL format has the drawback of its semi-sudden death (itself a compromise between the total sudden death format it previously had and a desire for a fair chance to score for both teams).

Why don't pro leagues just incorporate normal play and call it a game if there is a difference in score after any time each team has had the same number of possessions? At least for the playoffs.

You'd have your expedient end theoretically and still leave all elements of the game at play.

I would like to see iron ball in the end .

You play like the NHL until there is clear winner exhaustion etc... to the end .

Gladiators right to the end and if people don't like it then don't watch .

But I am old school when to comes to some things like Josh Allen doing sweeps for Buffalo . Dang I loved seeing old style ball .

1 Like

Exactly, especially the fact that they could not stop them with only 13 seconds and no timeouts left. Putting the kickoff through the end zone was not a good tactic. Should have squib kicked and make them use some time on the clock. The announcers said all through the game that whoever had the ball last would win and boy was that spot on!