NFL Offence/Offense Types To Notice

[url=http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/149329-eagles-qb-michael-vick-says-hes-75-a.html]http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-n ... -75-a.html[/url]

Interesting article here in that GM Mike Holmgren will run a base West-Coast offence in Cleveland just as he did though failed in Seattle ...check out the differences that show up especially in the NFL playoffs and consider what you see on the typical offensive sets of the Stamps and Argos.

As distinguished from the typical NFL pro-set using a tight end often for also the passing game, the West Coast offence relies on mostly short passes also to the RB whether or not a tight end is used in the set otherwise.

As distinguished from the spread, in the West Coast the RB is relied upon far more often on passing plays as part of the offence more than just the last outlet option in case all downfield receivers are covered or the QB is hurried.

In CFL terms you can almost take the base offence of the Stamps or Argos, strip out a man, and put it in the NFL for many of these West Coast and spread offensive sets.

This is particularly true when you see on the Stamps and Argos a bunch formation of receivers on one side off tackle, substituting effectively also for the bygone TE, and the RB pass option as are often Cornish or Boyd. Both Burris and Lemon are perfect for that offensive system though Burris is a far better CFL QB. As I have written repeatedly, give Lemon another season to get it right upstairs and he'll be fine for the system.

If you watch also Pac 10/12 NCAA football, the only brand of NCAA football I like any more other than my alma mater Notre Dame, you'll see that many of its offences run a West Coast set as well.

Though all teams use hybrid elements on certain downs and distance and change things up such as two-minute drill, run the clock, goal line and so forth, here is an educated guess at the 13 teams that come to mind who use a base offence different than the standard pro-set, which in most NFL offences is the set you see with only one tight end on many a first and second down and with that tight end a common and integral part of the passing game as well:

West Coast: CLE 2011/2012, SEA
West Coast/Pro-Set Hybrid (West Coast w/ frequent use also of TE for passes): SF, PHL
Spread: AZ, HOU, DEN
Ball Control/Ground & Pound: PITT, BAL, NYJ, KC, JAX
Hybrid/Unclassified Not Pro-Set Not Spread (And Sucks With Bad QB Now): CAR

I'd be interested to hear any alternative points of view for the NFL or CFL, with more grounds provided along with any I missed of course, as some of this post is just football junkie educated guesswork.

A friend of mine made a good argument for the NY Giants as a Ball Control offence as well, and historically he is correct.

However this season Eli Manning passed for 4002 yards, 31 TDs, and a league-leading 25 INTs with the offence otherwise sixth in the league in rushing. Overall that's not much ball control really along with Bradshaw's 7 fumbles.

Even so the Giants core offence as has won the Super Bowl on three occasions, including last in 2007, is fundamentally ball control. Add them to the list below for ball control.

Thanks to dumb rules to allow a losing team in a 32-team league to advance, the superior NY Giants at 10-6, just like for the 2007 season when they won the Super Bowl at 10-6 in the regular season, were left out of the playoffs. This was not as good a team overall as that team, but in any defence of the sorry Seahawks no one is raising this point of how a better playoff team should be in it anyway.

Ironically they ended up just like last year's Steelers with Roethlisberger with also his best stats ever in passing.

Perhaps there is something to be noticed here with regard to any team who gets away from its core offensive strength.

[url=http://www.nfl.com/players/matthasselbeck/profile?id=HAS536799]http://www.nfl.com/players/matthasselbe ... =HAS536799[/url]

Above is the 2010 season profile of The Great Bald One who now will be a legend forever in at least in Seattle after not having a decent season since 2007. He had a subpar season in his 15 games this season anyway, but of course tonight he led the win in the game that counted most.

Matt Hasselbeck appears to have the longest forehead/biggest egghead in the NFL, and also I believe he has the biggest head ever of any quarterback to win an NFL playoff game.

Perhaps you recall his best season in 2005 when he led them to what is the worst-officiated Super Bowl in at least the Live Ball Era in which I have been watching.

Interestingly if you watched the game closely, at the core they came out running the West Coast offence with short QB drops and quick passes though ending up exploiting the 'Aints with rare passes to their tight ends as well as just plain running over them.

Hasselbeck was absolutely awesome considering that two of the incomplete passes were dropped with one of them tipped for his only interception.

Otherwise when you can run over the other team or they just plain do not cover who is normally a blocking tight end, well of course you exploit that too even though it is not your core offence.

Congrats to the Seahawks, and right there tonight is hope for the West Coast offence too in the NFL.

Good on the Seahawks, good reads Paolo, Notre Dame alumnus I see. I love Matt's hairline but it doesn't match mine although I have the age spots whereas Matt's head is still nice and shiny pure. :stuck_out_tongue:

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821cde41/article/proliferation-of-passing-offenses-has-nfl-defenses-on-the-run]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... on-the-run[/url]

Here's a fine article about how NFL offences are changing to spread things out also with the use of athletic tight ends.

Essentially the best teams have almost all four receivers on most downs (or five when the running back runs a route when not the last option on a screen), including in some cases both tight ends, as legitimate threats for yards after the catch due to supreme athleticism. The days of the possession receiver are about over.

On defence, it's analogous in that almost all LBs and safeties now must be able to cover well however solid their reads for the running game and/or pass rushing skills. Such a trend explains why more teams than ever are using the 3-4 defence or a hybrid 3-4/4-3 scheme so as to cover better the interior slot receivers and athletic tight ends with both wide receivers usually as top downfield and redzone threats. The distinction between the strong and free safety on many a modern defence hardly exists as well.