NFL in Toronto

The possibility of an NFL team in Toronto has resurfaced again. This has been threatened on and off for years, but has more credibility now given Ted Rogers and Tannenbaum are behind it.

It would be terrible having an NFL team in Toronto. It would kill the Argos. Even if the rest of the CFL survived without a team in Toronto, it would be pushed right off the media radar screen.

I understand the mayor of Toronto said he didn't support an NFL team. Good for him. I think a strong statement from Premier McGuinty, and from John Tory's Conservatives (remember Tory used to run the CFL) is needed now. The guys in the NFL don't want to walk into a hornet's nest of trouble when it is clear they are not wanted, so the best plan is to make it clear an NFL team is a non-starter before this idea gathers steam.

I'll bite on this one only because I was waiting for it to come up.

#1. The NFL doesn't want Toronto. Toronto brings nothing to the table. No ratings increases, no additional sponsorships, it lacks the exclamation point.

#2. No stadium. I get it, they have the Dome. Of which the Argos are long term tenants. New NFL stadiums are expected to seat upwards of 70-80k. Who would pay for it? I don't think Dalton would be volunteering. Do you? SkyDome isn't even close.

#3. The NFL has bigger fish to fry. Examples are abundant. LA, Las Vegas, Mexico City, among many others. Not even mentioning the Europe League here.

To sum it up, if MLSE can't figure out how to buy a cup after how many decades, how could it be expected to run a sports franchise in such a non-sports fickle saturated market like Toronto.

Not to mention Toronto really s_u_c_k_s.

Plus a franchise fee of roughly $1 billion Canadian (that's non-corporate money too). That's just to join the league. Players extra!!

An Argo fan

Its NEVER going to happen.

Too much time on your hands?
Or are you, like me, avoiding necessary work?

no, just watching the charger/raiders game.
ruiner.

Well...as JFL has pointed out the NFL in TO is a pipe dream of a few rich white guys. I've heard the estimated ticket price for one game and it was well over two hundred dollars. It would also upset Buffalo and who wants that?

The NFL has as much chance of going to Toronto as the Tiger Cats have of winning the Grey Cup this year, or even scoring a touchdown

Reminiscent of the artist painting a picture of the artist painting a picture of the artist painting a picture (from Escape from the Planet of the Apes)

Go Cats!

Although I enjoy watching football of any kind (except arena football ) I was struck by the first line of a preseason writeup in the Toronto Sun about the Bengals . It stated that no fewer than 7 players had been arrested in the off season for various offences and I wonder do we want these types running the streets of Canada ? I dont thats for sure !!! Ill stick to watching them on TV .

Listen, even if the NFL came up here it won't be that great. All the good seats will be gobbled up by corporations and insiders. Outside of the ownership and the name, there will be no connnection to the city.

The team will be filled only with players whose wives and girlfriends let them play up here (it's soooo cold!!!!). And once there here, they'll be demanding to be traded to some american city after a few bad starts or an argument with the coach. The mediocre players who do stay (those without options) will be gone as soon as the season ends.The tourism dollar they bring to the city will probably be about the same as the Jays and Raptors.
F' all.

There won't be any CFL team to kick around anymore so what would the CFL bashers do for fun. Of course that means no pro football in July and August but we, in southern Ontario can pride ourselves on having the only pro football team in Canada. Don't insult our intelligence by talking about shifting the Argos to Windsor or eleswhere, or that the CFL can co-exist in Toronto as Godfrey has suggested.

We won't have the Grey Cup, pitting two teams from different parts of OUR country against each other in one of the most exciting sporting events of the year, but we can watch the Superbowl. Maybe it will be the Jacksonville Jaguars taking on the Indianapolis Colts. Awesome!!

Can't wait for the halftime show with Justin Timberlake. I mean who wouldn't rather see Justin Timberlake than oh say ...Tragically Hip.

Face it, we in Canada have the best of both worlds, great CFL excitement and NFL football all around the dial. Plenty of border cities for those who want to see
the NFL live.

Cheers

re-ruff-Listen, even if the NFL came up here it won't be that great. All the good seats will be gobbled up by corporations and insiders. Outside of the ownership and the name, there will be no connnection to the city.

The team will be filled only with players whose wives and girlfriends let them play up here (it's soooo cold!!!!). And once there here, they'll be demanding to be traded to some american city after a few bad starts or an argument with the coach. The mediocre players who do stay (those without options) will be gone as soon as the season ends.The tourism dollar they bring to the city will probably be about the same as the Jays and Raptors.
F' all.

There won't be any CFL team to kick around anymore so what would the CFL bashers do for fun. Of course that means no pro football in July and August but we, in southern Ontario can pride ourselves on having the only pro football team in Canada. Don't insult our intelligence by talking about shifting the Argos to Windsor or eleswhere, or that the CFL can co-exist in Toronto as Godfrey has suggested.

We won't have the Grey Cup, pitting two teams from different parts of OUR country against each other in one of the most exciting sporting events of the year, but we can watch the Superbowl. Maybe it will be the Jacksonville Jaguars taking on the Indianapolis Colts. Awesome!!

Can't wait for the halftime show with Justin Timberlake. I mean who wouldn't rather see Justin Timberlake than oh say ...Tragically Hip.

Face it, we in Canada have the best of both worlds, great CFL excitement and NFL football all around the dial. Plenty of border cities for those who want to see
the NFL live.

Cheers
great post, :thup: imo nfl in toronto, will be a money sucking black hole :twisted:

Won’t see it.

1. There are empty seats in the Roger’s Centre during Argo games. The NFL can’t stand empty seats, and it’s proof that Toronto can’t support a team.

2. If the Roger’s Centre sold out for an Argos game (could happen, stop your sniggering), the NFL would say “Hey, there’s already a pro team in Toronto, we don’t need to be there.”

In other words, it will NEVER happen… catch-22 situation.

It will never ever happen.