NFL fines the Pats

For those of you that haven't heard, the Pats were found guilty of video taping the Jets' play signals, last Sunday. (Hmmm... didn't Montreal try the very same thing quite recently?)

Kudos to the Commission. Here's what I call a serious fine:

1. Bill Belichick has been fined $500,000 by the NFL. (That is the maximum amount under the NFL Constitution )

2. The Patriots have been fined $250,000 by the NFL.

3. The Patriots will give up their first-round pick in 2008 if they make the playoffs. If they don't make the playoffs, they will surrender their second and third round picks.

From the Commish, himself:

[i]"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field. I specifically considered whether to impose a suspension on Coach Belichick. I have determined not to do so, largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension."

[/i]

As a Raiders fan, if they could bury the tuck rule tonight, I would be spent. LMAO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuck_rule ;)

Oski Wee FUMBBBBBBBBBLE,

As a Seahawks fan (who despised the Raiders at that time), I actually turned the game off in disgust when it looked like Brady fumbled. Imagine my surprise when I when I saw the advertisement for “Steelers vs. Patriots in the AFC championship” during the week.

But yeah, to stay on topic, cheating is NOT cool.

JustAGuy wrote:

For those of you that haven't heard, the Pats were found guilty of video taping the Jets' play signals, last Sunday. (Hmmm... didn't Montreal try the very same thing quite recently?)
You are correct, JAG. But this 2004 article by Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun seems to state that the CFL had no rule against this type of activity:

"Als play spy game

Try to steal Bomber signals from stands
By KIRK PENTON – Winnipeg Sun

One of Dave Ritchie’s favourite expressions is, “Loose lips sink ships.”

Well, loose lips – and a lucky break – have the Winnipeg Blue Bombers believing they’ve uncovered a case of CFL espionage.

As a Globe and Mail story speculated yesterday, it was, in fact, the Bombers who called the CFL with a concern that a member of the Montreal Alouettes organization had videotaped their coaches during last Friday’s game in Ottawa.

The Bombers believe the Als were trying to learn their hand signals for defensive and offensive plays.

The CFL office didn’t return a phone call to The Sun yesterday, but it is investigating.

“Concerns were raised by a team, and right now the commissioner’s office is looking into it,” CFL director of communications Alexis Redmond told the Globe.

“There is no formal or official rule (against videotaping). It’s more ethical related than legal or illegal.”

Apparently, word of Montreal’s tactic wormed its way through the players’ grapevine over the winter and ended up in the Bombers locker-room, so members of the coaching staff were told to keep their eyes open.

A source confirmed yesterday that defensive backs coach Less Browne, who was making his way from the press box to the sideline at the end of the game, saw a man in the Frank Clair Stadium stands with a video camera. Curious, Browne sat down across the aisle and watched the man – whom Browne believed to be Alouettes equipment assistant Serge Brotherton – focus the camera on the Bombers sideline.

When Brotherton noticed Browne, he put the camera down. That’s when Browne, according to the Globe, said to Brotherton, “Tell (Montreal coach) Don Matthews we said hello.” "

didn’t the allouettes get accused of cheating two years ago?

Yes they did. And that is why Matthews is the most disliked coach in the league and why no one wants to touch the guy now. But I’d bring him in here in a heart beat because he does whatever it takes to win and he’d never do something as stupid as give his damn game plan away to the media. LOL

Be clear though: EVERYBODY knew what the Als were about for a few years there. The hyperblitzing strategy worked for a while because they had guys with wheels to get it done sacking and hurrying the QB. Matthews didn’t face many gameplan inquiries by media because a) The Don isn’t Mr. Loquaciousness to begin with with them and b) the Als were who we thought they were defensively, to pull a Dennis Green.

IT HELPS TO HAVE AN IDENTITY IN ALL PHASES OF PLAY! Knowing what a team likes to do scheme-wise is not necessarily an advantage. Successful teams get their players to buy into their systems and mold the personnel to fit it. Most importantly, players learn to play the system, know the assignments of their teammates, and forge accountabilty that way. You can see how a team that gets it interacts on the bench. They are always discussing adjustments, how to correct mistakes, etc.
The 90% mental aspect of the game is engaged.

A team that don’t have it together stands around waiting for Helen Keller to call a play, but I digress. It’s a bad movie I NEVER WANT TO SEE AGAIN! LOL

Oski Wee Wee,

Didn’t you read my post?

this a perfect example of why the cfl should spend some money and get headesets for offensive/defensive coordinators and install the headsets in the QBs and MLBs Helmets to end all the hand signals. It is more efficient to get headsets, and it will speed up the game. Also the CFL can't complain about how they have no money, they have a sponsorship with Future Shop, and Im sure Futureshop could gather the technology possible. Also the CFL could gain a nice partnership with Motorola which creates the headsets and take care of the situation.

Their hyper blitzing worked because they were stealing signals, it’s that simple. Do you really think it would have worked if they didn’t? I was always thinking that it never made any sense that teams could constantly be burned by such a simple D. There was nothing complex about what they did, they’d bring the house then blanket the receivers long enough because they knew what routes were being run from stealing signals, no way would the system work if they didn’t steal signals and the system never worked against us because we had Danny calling his own plays and Buonno coached teams always destroyed that D.

So glad this thread switched to a cfl topic :stuck_out_tongue: how about another thread about the Don and why is he such a successful H.C :cowboy: - mods should put this thread somewhere else, its not related or relevant :twisted: to the Ticats

give the defence captain a radio helmet like qb has no more signals.solves this whole mess simple and easy.

cfl/nfl/afl/ncaa they all need radio headsets for offensive/defensive coordinators, and the QB and MLB.