NFL Considering Elimination Of Kickoffs

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/roger-goodell-talks-chiefs-eliminating-kickoffs-player-safety-164839047--nfl.html]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html[/url]

Not only is this topic now a top level discussion in the NFL and more likely there will be changes in the offseason, but one of the ideas proposed is to basically make all kickoffs punts but for what otherwise would have been an onside kick anyway.

The end result would be basically no kickoffs and many fair catches as is the case now with punts.

The major reason in my view that such ideas to eliminate kickoffs have more traction than many had thought would have at this point is due to the legal threat and liability as likely will only increase if the kickoff is left as it is now. They could care less about the quality and spectacle of the game, as the fans will show without kickoffs too as we have fewer of with returns than ever.

Definitely I will be staying north for my special teams fix though I am surprised that wedge blocking on kickoffs, which is a variant of the historic flying wedge outlawed over a hundred years ago, has not been outlawed in the CFL too as it was in the NFL only starting in 2009 if I recall correctly.

I think the problem is the NFL game with the stronger and bigger and better trained kickers of today who can kick the living crap out of the ball on a kickoff compared with yesteryear is growing out of the small American field.

But yes, maybe it’s the legal aspect that is the most crucial factor, I don’t know. But sort of sad if it happens, almost like taking the faceoff out of hockey and replacing it with where the puck is placed on the ice and with the whistle, play begins, which I think the NHL or some league tried this a while back if I’m not mistaken. :?

What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!! Change the NFL name to the WFL(Wussy Football League). I guess no more onside kicks when a team is down in the last couple minutes!!! Vegas will love this rule, :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

For sake of amateur football, I hope they just keep the rules the way they are now for a kickoff from the 35-yard line but the touchback at the 25-yard line now in NCAA ball (as they play also at the high school level in Texas and Massachusetts) sucks.

There was nothing wrong with the rules for amateur ball 10 years ago for that matter.

And if a team wants to do it to waste time on the clock towards the end of a game after a score, at any level the team should be able to kickoff anywhere behind the 35-yard line for that matter!

Also I think any rule at any level to dictate how far back players can stand behind the 35 is dumb too.

Wedge blocking has been rightly outlawed and that's enough right there.

"TIME sat in on meeting between Goodell and Rich McKay, head of the NFL's powerful competition committee. Goodell brought up a proposal promoted by Greg Schiano, coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers: after a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth-and-15. The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession, or punt. If you go for it and fall short, the opposing team would take over with good field position."

I cannot imagine a team going for it on 4th and 15 from their own 30 yard line line unless they were a zillion points ahead of the opposing team. They may as well just make it mandatory to punt from the 30 yard line. That is what would happen 99.9% of the time anyway.

Exactly ...that's the idea ...they would convert the kickoff return to a whole lot of fair catches via a punt and then the onside kick is replaced by a 4th and 15 by the otherwise kicking team.

I see the elimination of kickoffs is part of the plan to expand the season to 18 games down the road too.

They better not screw this up in amateur football too.