NFL Combine

The NFL Combine is later this month. There are 327 players invited and I saw one Canadian name, Jon Cornish. Cornish is a running back from Kansas who was drafted by Calgary last year.The Cats draft picks from last year (Gagne-Marcoux, Reid, Dyakowski,and Roberts)may still be drafted in the NFL but the odds are against it.Most draftees come from the combine.Of course they could still be signed as free agents by the NFL.
Twenty quarterbacks will be at the Combine, with two that might be of interest to the Cats.Tyler Palko is a 6'2" 220 senior from Pittsburg. He threw for 25 TDs and 9 INTs on a 6 and 6 team in 2006.I believe Charlie Taaffe was on the staff at Pitt this past year. The other quarterback is Reggie Ball of Georgia Tech.. He is generously listed at 5'11" and 195.He threw for 20 TDs and 14 INTs in 2006 in a 9 win, 4 loss season.He didn't play the final bowl game for academic reasons.I think he is too short to play his position in the NFL and therefore may consider a CFL offer.
Kevin Challenger and Jabari Arthur are Canadian receivers with one more year of NCAA eligibility. You may see them at the Combine next year. Joe Cowan, a 6'4" 220 wide receiver from UCLA and British Columbia is a senior not invited to the camp.Perhaps a CFL team will consider him for the CFL draft
When the Combine is over and all the statistics are tabulated, I know our CFL season is not far off. The CFL Evaluation Camp is coming up along with the draft. I, like many TiCat fans can't wait to see who our #1 pick is in the new Desjardin- Taaffe era.
Pat Lynch (the old guy in section 7 )

I'm not sure Joe Cowan or his brother (Patrick i think?) who is the QB at UCLA would be considered non-imports and eligible for the CFL draft - even though they were born in Canada (in BC while their dad was a QB for the Lions); since they have US football training, they would have to have spent 5 years in Canada before turning 15 to qualify as non-imports per the CFL rules there.

Be intersting to see how the new regime approaches the CFL draft though - more long-range picks or maybe try to draft a player they think will show up and compete for a spot at the upcoming TC; might depend on how many of last year's picks who returned to US college ball in 06 (and who also might get some NFL interest) - Dyakowski, Reid, Gagne-Marcoux - will show up for 07 TC? The CFL Combine might sell the team on a good pick. The #1 overall pick will be interesting - who/what position to go for?

With an expansion draft likely in 2008 I bet after the number 1 pick we go long term. That may well explain our willingness to swap 2nd round picks with Sask.

It looks as though quarterback Jeff Ballard did not receive an invitation to the NFL Combine so this might be a good time for a CFL team (preferably the Ticats) to gauge his interest in playing in Canada. In his senior year at TCU (Texas Christian University) in 2006, Ballard (6-1, 212 lbs) had a 61.8% pass completion rate with 13 TDs and 5 interceptions. In TCU's 37-7 victory over Northern Illinois in the Poinsettia Bowl in Dec/06, he rushed for three touchdowns.