NFL Brainwashing Machine

NFL broadcasts are slick promos, Never do commentators say or point out negatives about players or show poor play on highlights or replays, Eg if a d lineman beats an o lineman, Its not that the o lineman is fat and slow , the d lineman is a superstar with amazing talent, NFl broadcasters Allways portray nfl players as the best in the WORLD, -- But best over who?? the cfl of course. - Good football is good football, there are positives about both American rules, and there are positives about Canadian rules, But the nfl media hype and broadcast package is All about self promotion ad nawsium(sp) re the nfl- AND How many nfl fans would stop watching if there was no betting??- Imho if the nfl was really about the best players, Eli Manning and Rob Johnson (eg) would never be starters! peace

I've always heard that Las Vegas made the NFL popular

How about this for a reason the CFL is much better to watch--the players in the NFL outgrew the field they play on in about 1995--go back and look at old tapes at games before 95 and after tell me the game did not get more boring after that--second which goes with the first point, the field--it is longer and wider which makes for a more open i.e. exciting game--and finally, the kicking game, the CFL is light years better than the NFL in that department which once again makes it more exciting--I did not even mention 3 downs--and one last salvo--go watch a tape of any Giants/Eagles game the last few years it is like watching paint dry--then go watch the tape of the 89 Grey Cup yes I know it was a loss but it was a full game of nothing but drama,and this opinion is comming from Ohio which is suppose to be a hotbed of NFL football

The 89 GC might possibly be the BEST football game EVER played in ANY league... even in the loss it was a great game to watch

Quite an unfair comparison to an NFL game...lol

Excellent point. Mistakes are never pointed out in an NFL telecast… always the godly successes of their superstars. Never the mistakes that provide for a good measure of an opponent’s success…

** Nominated for best post ever.

I know some lads that are the same , but all theytalk about is the hype and SB commercials or what trouble the idiot players get into. But nothing of the game. We are all game ,very little hype, NFL mainly hype .

I think most CFL fans enjoy both. After all football is the ultimate fan experience as far as I'm concerned. But the NFL is quite boring at times, and I only follow it after the Grey Cup. All the money these people sink into the NFL, the jerseys,the pools, the barstools they need to watch the sunday games, and how many games dothey see in a life time? 2-3? Some maybe 4-5? Chances are most of those games were in Buffalo too. I don't get how ayoung kid can cheer for a team from southern California when thier own team is just down the street for a tenth of the cost.

That’s only how corporations think in this country.

People watch the NFL because they want to watch the best football players in the world compete. But that is too hard for some folks to understand. No sport is entertaining to watch.

No sport is entertaining?

I find that (after my 'Cats), NHL is out, and MLS is in… might not be UEFA quality, but it is dang entertaining.

I can’t stand NHL, but I like watching international hockey… Gary has to go.

The CFL is far more entertaining to watch. For one, we only have a 20 second clock between plays (instead of 40 in the NFL) which means more plays per game. The dimensions of the field really open up the game.

I heard all kinds of strange arguments from NFL fans such as "well there's no defence in the CFL, the games are all 40-37" and from the same person "the CFL is great if you like to watch punts" (because of the 3 downs creating more punts). At this point, I refer him to the 20 second clock creating more plays in general, thus more scoring but also more punting.

I always mention that the CFL is like international hockey where there's more emphasis on the skills of the game, whereas the NFL is more like the NHL which relies more on oversized individuals pounding the living crap out of each other. (This is changing in the "new NHL" but you get the point.)

And what's so great about watching an NFL game? There's a ton of "3 yds and a cloud of dust" plays. I also hate watching 11 play drives that take 9 minutes off the game clock. There aren't very many lead changes. I despise the fair catch. Touchbacks are no fun to watch either. The extreme loyalty of NFL coaches to their "systems" and trying to make players fit into those systems instead of building systems around the talents of their players. A little room for improvization would be nice. (Like how come a lot of NFL QB's can't run a 2 minute offense? They're paid enough, can't you just call your own plays from the line?) The NFL is also the only sport you'll ever see the coaches and players running onto the field to shake hands WHEN THERE IS STILL TIME LEFT IN THE GAME!!! How ridiculous.

And shouldn't the last 2 minutes of a games be the most exciting part of any game? Well, in the NFL you can kneel it out if you're ahead. Now that's entertainment!

I have a cousin that lives in Hamilton. He HATES the CFL... Because it's from Hamilton... it's automatically junk (in his mind).
Sooooo.... Does that mean your cousin is junk as well?

I just find that the only thing that makes it entertaining for is if I care about the team that’s playing, if not I can’t get into it. You have to be a hardcore hockey fan to sit down and watch a Nashville/Columbus game and actually get into it and not have your mind wander.

And that is why the NFL is brilliant with fantasy football and gambling, they have found a way to get people to care about every crappy game that’s on, which is why their t.v packages generate so much income. You have people buying services so they can watch every stupid game out there. If there was no gambling or fantasy football would people give a you know what about any of those games, they’d just watch their team play and that’s it, then watch the highlights of the other games like I do.

And that is why the NFL is brilliant with fantasy football and gambling, they have found a way to get people to care about every crappy game that's on, which is why their t.v packages generate so much income. You have people buying services so they can watch every stupid game out there. If there was no gambling or fantasy football would people give a you know what about any of those games, they'd just watch their team play and that's it, then watch the highlights of the other games like I do.
Couldn't agree more. I have to admit, I watched a lot of Miami/SF/Arizona/Cleveland/Oakland games because I had money on the games.

I agree with Drexl about the NHL. I even used those exact same teams when saying the same thing to a friend. How do you get excited for a mid-season match up between Columbus and Nashville? Who cares?!?!

But I actually enjoy watching ANY CFL game. Now if there were 32 teams... probably not. But having 8 teams helps make every game mean something to the standings.