Next year for Reilly

This

With this fledgling league, lower Canadian dollar with exchange and combination CBA, the league has to increase the cap.
Starting in my opinion with excluding the franchise player with a cap at $750,000 and raising the minimum amount with the limit to at least $6M.
To suggest there is no money and the league or teams cannot afford it, would be short sided and foolish.
Especially with all of the plans ahead to include Halifax, the Mexico game etc.

Not gonna happen. There are at least three franchises losing lots of money, and maybe two franchises (maybe only one) making lots of money. Halifax is a pipe dream until someone agrees to pay for a stadium, which seems unlikely. Mexico, if it happens, is an experiment tat may or may not work but seems unlikely to be a big financial windfall over as other than a once-off. The team owners are in it to make – and maximize – profit, not to lose money or operate like charities.

I expect that the max. cap will get to $6.0 millions, but not before 2023 based on a 5 years agreement -2019 to 2023-with the players. No player should make more than 10% of the max. approved cap.

Richard

I could see a bit of a bidding war for Reilly’s services. He made over $500,000 last year, so a contract paying $600 - $650,000 a year is likely imo.

It’s an interesting scenario. Most likely scenario is he re-signs with Edmonton, as long as his relationship with Jason Maas is in a good place.

BC - Lulay is a solid QB but always health issues with him. I could see them going after Reilly.
Sask - Very good team everywhere else, if he’s a free agent they for sure go after him.
Calgary - They’d rather re-sign Bo, but if he leaves for the NFL I could see them making a pitch.

Hamilton - Likely zero interest with Masoli at the helm having a good year
Ottawa - Same with Harris
Toronto - Lots of question marks, and they have Ray and Franklin under contract for sizable dollars. Depending on how the coaching situation ends up I could see a potential push from them.
Montreal - Probably the team with the biggest need at QB, but they gave up so much to acquire Manziel I don’t think there would be much interest. I can’t see Reilly interested in playing for them either. Poorly run organization under Kavis at the moment.

I left out Winnipeg by mistake. He’s a huge upgrade on Nichols, but if Winnipeg somehow wins the Grey Cup there would be no chance they’d ditch Matt.

My response was solely based on Reilly as that was the topic of this thread. I agree, middle and bottom is worrisome.

Harris is heading into free agency, and so is Ray.

You can’t make long term business decisions based on an experimental league that is likely to fail in short order.

That’s a good point

There’s always gonna be a boat load of rich dudes who can’t break thru into the NFL (money or status disparity) that think their pro football league will be the next big thing. NFL, with all its warts and inferior officiating is a multi-billion dollar business, where business supersedes sports.

Remember the Alamo - aka XFL, funded by a billionaire named Vince McMahon. Got off to a solid start w/ stars like “He Hate Me” but soon receded into the ocean when TV network started to off their coverage.

Vince had no choice but to kill 'n run, otherwise he would have been on hook for 100s of millions, vs. the 10s of millions he burned with XFL.

Only difference here is that its not a 1-man owned league. Different rich guys for every team. Some CFL spares and under=paid guys will jump at the chance to scoop up a $250k x 3 years guaranteed. Don’t know how the money is being guaranteed though? Registered trust funds?

If Reilly goes anywhere it will be to Toronto, since that club has rarely developed its own star QB, and it’s in desperate need of a winning team. Reilly would be their best chance to get there since it’s unlikely that Ray will be back and be able to put in a complete season if he does return.

That’s my best guess anyway. I’d personally like to see him stay in Edmonton, but the Esks don’t seem to have issues attracting new talent.

Re: Smiling James Franklin

I think he’s tradeable. Chris Jones, if he can’t put his mitts on Reilly, Tarvis Lulay, Trev Harris, etc. might be amenable to a trade - taking Franklin off the Toronto payroll

Just don’t know what Popp would want - Popp would be so jacked up someone is willing to take Franklin off his cap - my estimate would be sending TO a 1st rd draft pick (currently 8th overall) plus a rugged import DL or a quality starting DB

Knock on Franklin is that he’s NOT viciously aggressive like Reilly, Lulay, T Harris or Nichols.

More an “I DON’T CARE” attitude like Drew Willy, Max Hall, Darian Durant, etc.

Doesn’t Toronto have the first overall selection in the 2019 draft?

Reilly will most likely stay with the Eskimos or head to Vancouver. I don’t see how anywhere else makes sense.

The Esks will match any offer Reilly receives. B.C. is the only other team he’d likely sign with and it would have to include more than salary (i.e. input/control over the offensive gameplan, player acquisition, etc.) It would take heck of an offer to pry Reilly out of Edm, I’d put his chances of signing in B.C. at 15%, Esks 85%…the rest can forget about it.

How I read it is their salary is guaranteed if they make the team and dress for all the games over 3 years. If they get cut, they’re guaranteed to get paid nothing. There’s no way they’ll pay the salary of an under-performing player for 3 years.

Basically the same as a CFL contract (other than the standard $250k amount). You have a contract to get paid $75k (league minimum) to $500k but you’re subject to being cut at any point whether you’ve got a 1, 2 or 3 yr contract.

Re: Smiling James Franklin

I think he’s tradeable. Chris Jones, if he can’t put his mitts on Reilly, Tarvis Lulay, Trev Harris, etc. might be amenable to a trade - taking Franklin off the Toronto payroll

Just don’t know what Popp would want - Popp would be so jacked up someone is willing to take Franklin off his cap - my estimate would be sending TO a 1st rd draft pick (currently 8th overall) plus a rugged import DL or a quality starting DB

Knock on Franklin is that he’s NOT viciously aggressive like Reilly, Lulay, T Harris or Nichols.

More an “I DON’T CARE” attitude like Drew Willy, Max Hall, Darian Durant, etc.

Lulay, T Harris are you real. Franklin better than both as is Jennings, today not five years ago. Today
Offensive LINE need.