Next step in Ottawa stadium process

According to the City of Ottawa's website, the report following the public consultation process on the Lansdowne Live proposal will be tabled at the Nov. 12/13 committee meetings:

[i]Public comments and feedback that were received by October 11 will be incorporated into the report to Committee of the Whole on November 12 and 13.

Committee of the Whole will also be hearing public delegations on the Lansdowne Partnership Plan. Residents who would like to make a verbal presentation on November 12 or 13 can contact...[/i]

Sadly, it would appear there are 2 more days for Doucet and his cronies to make political hay on this (why would the city do this to themselves???!!). From everything I've read, the Glebe-ites hijacked all the public consultation meetings, and here are 2 more chances for them.

On the positive side, it would seem like the process is nearing an end. God winning. I hope this is it and we can start imagining football in the capital once again! An early Christmas present to CFL fans maybe?

One can only hope. Keep your fingers crossed, CFL Fans.

bring back the Ottawa Renegades! :rockin:

Remember, the CFL is doing pretty well right now without any team in Ottawa, that is also something to consider, as much as I want Ottawa and with this super locally owned Lansdowne Live group, fact is how much do we really need Ottawa? Not a lot I say. Personally, give me another west team over a team in Ottawa, no disrespect at all Jeff Hunt et al but just saying. :?

Geez this keeps going on and on and on and on.......Will we see a team in Ottawa by 2020? :roll: :roll: :roll:

The CFL needs Ottawa because the CFL needs to expand, and Ottawa is currently the only feasible location to expand to. Not counting Winnipeg moving back to the West, another Western team is far, far off the radar. There won't be a Western expansion team until after Ottawa, Quebec City, and/or the Maritimes get a team (if at all). Yes the CFL is doing fine without Ottawa, but it could do even better with another strong franchise - which Jeff Hunt et al would provide.

These things take time ... remember this is public money and public land that is being used. The only way something like this can be done relatively quickly is if some trillionaire buys a bunch of land and pays for a stadium to go on it. That doesn't happen up here. Instead everyone gets to whine about their tax dollars going somewhere they don't want them to.

Yes we do need 9 before we can get to 10.
Having said that, I think most of us will not be around due to this less than snails pace “negotiations” that as you say is like the Eveready Rabbit.

Its time to have 2 Roughriders once again!

Doucet's getting desperate...now he's alleging "backroom deals" in what is probably the single most transparent and publicly discussed civic project in the history of North America! What a loser. I hope Ottawa residents (outside the Glebe) can see through his very transparent personal goal of eliminating any development to the Glebe and forcing the public to continue to pick up the 4 million annual tab on maintaining Lansdowne, so Glebe residents get to enjoy a higher standard of living than everyone else in the city.

[url=http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Brien+Hunt+deny+backroom+Lansdowne+deal/2185881/story.html]http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Bri ... story.html[/url]

O'Brien, Hunt deny backroom Lansdowne deal
Doucet releases e-mails he says indicate mayor privately met with project heads
By Maria Cook, with files from Patrick Dare, The Ottawa CitizenNovember 5, 2009
Mayor Larry O'Brien and Lansdowne Live proponent Jeff Hunt dismissed suggestions Wednesday of a "backroom deal" in which the mayor had solicited the proposal from the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group.

O'Brien dismissed Councillor Clive Doucet's press conference, which was held earlier Wednesday, as predictable "fluff" from a determined opponent of the Lansdowne project.

The mayor urged citizens to call their councillors and express the opinions on the project one way or another.

"This thing has broad public support," said O'Brien. "It's a major move forward for the City of Ottawa." City council will debate the project at a special council meeting that begins next Thursday.

Hunt said he initiated a meeting with O'Brien in what he believes was August 2007.

"I laid it out for him for the very first time. I would have said something along the lines of, 'I think I have a group of guys, the right group of guys finally, who want to try and make CFL football work in this market and we have a concept that involves some redevelopment of Lansdowne.'

"I remember him even the first time we met he really wanted to see a scenario where the stadium would not be a burden to the city any longer," he said. "He was much more excited about a solution for Lansdowne than he was about CFL football, although the CFL football element was significant."

During his press conference, Doucet released e-mails that he said indicated the mayor had invited the proponents and negotiated behind closed doors. "They were supposed to be unsolicited," he said. "This e-mail trail clearly indicates that there was an intimate and requesting relationship between the mayor and this group of people.

"There are private conversations that have been going on for a very long time which nobody else has been part of and information necessary to the public debate has been denied us consistently over a long period of time," he said.

In an Oct. 3 e-mail, Councillor Bob Monette writes, "they contacted the city and then council voted to evaluate their proposal." Another e-mail sent on his behalf says, "from my understanding the Mayor originally asked the group what they thought should be done with Lansdowne."

And in a press release, he wrote, "They were invited to help the city to do something about the decrepit state of Lansdowne Park..."

Monette explained that what he meant was that "one of the big things that was (O'Brien's) platform was to get Lansdowne Park revitalized and I had figured that by winning the election that that's an open invitation to anybody to bring forward some ideas." He said neither he nor the mayor had met with the developers until the proposal became public.

Doucet said key information has been withheld from councillors, who are being asked to vote on the deal on Nov. 16. For example, a letter outlining the agreement between the Canadian Football League and OSEG was only made available Oct. 27 by city staff and has sections blacked out. "It is clear in the letter that a stadium at Lansdowne Park is not a necessary condition for the awarding of a CFL franchise," says Doucet."It could be anywhere in the city."

Hunt said it was obvious that only Frank Clair stadium was under discussion.

"There is absolutely no smoking gun here," he said.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

This thing ain't going anywhere!

Ottawa will not be on the map anytime soon as it seems like only the rare few really wants the CFL back in the city!

I somewhat agree with your first statement but not the second. This isn't going anywhere fast but it is the vocal few who are trying to derail the process. I think the majority want this to go forward. How the citizens of Ottawa tolerate a clown like Doucet is beyond me; he is on a personal mission to see that this doesn't go forward and I can only hope that the people of Ottawa and the other council members can see through his games.

Not sure if this already made it to the forum, but the public consultation report on Landsdown Live has been made available: http://ottawa.ca/residents/public_consult/lansdowne_partnership/consultation/summary_en.html#P32_2421

The key messages in the report are:

• Impression residents in Ottawa are more likely to be neutral on the proposal with marginally more residents having a negative rather than a positive impression of the LPP (22.5% negative, 18.7% positive, 49.6% neutral, 9.1% unsure).

• Knowledge the greater one’s self described knowledge of the LPP the more likely you are to have a positive impression (all Ottawa 5.2 out of 10, high knowledge 6.2, medium 5.3, low knowledge 4.3).

• Action residents are more likely to think that it is time to move forward (53.1% move forward, 40.8% no rush, 6.1% unsure).

• The top unprompted piece of advice “just do it/so many delays? (23.2%).

Very strange of those that live in Ottawa who don't live anywhere near Lansdowne that some of these would be very agains't a CFL team in their city. I don't know if there is a significant number or not of these sorts but these are strange people, you would think that the more entertainment choices a city has the better. Maybe they just don't want to see any of their tax dollars going towards any pro team at all, I have no idea.

Maybe they're just ticked off by what the Senators have done with all the money given them! The city spent a lot of money on the Sens, and I think a lot of people do not want to get bamboozled again! The Riders and the Gades had bad luck with owners, who always seem to leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths! If something happens again with the CFL franchise, it could be lights out forever! There would be a lot of "I told you so's!" Ottawa has seen their share of strange owners in the last decade or so!

Thanks for posting those public consultation numbers.

I'm actually reasonably encouraged. Looks like better than half the people who participated would be fine if LL was re-developed. In particular, I like the the 1 stat where people said "just do something".

This should be enough for the politicians to proceed.

What worries me is these presentations at next weeks committee of the whole meetings. 'Douche' - ette and his gang are going to pull out all the stops. O'Brien is going to have to be at the top of his game to manage the meeting.

But assuming we get through that, it should be a green light for Ottawa's CFL team!

Hopefullly the thrid time will be the charm, even if the people of Ottawa dont want it, the CFL needs a team in the capital, the league just isn't the same without it. :cry:

Well they have been trying to scare the Ottawa public this week by getting a bunch of politicians to gather to decry the process saying it is a 'sole-sourced project'.

Well, Ottawa's Auditor General has reviewed the process and has completely refuted that arguement:

http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=69252

AG Says Lansdowne Partnership Plan is Legal
Josh Pringle
Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ottawa's Auditor General has ruled the multi-million dollar proposal from a group of Ottawa businessmen to redevelop Lansdowne Park is not illegal.

Alain Lalonde says the Lansdowne Partnership Plan is a sole source response to an unsolicited bid, but says there is no contravention of the Purchasing Bylaw.

Lalonde adds Council effectively approved the action during its meeting on November 12, 2008, when a motion to restart the design competition was tabled pending the results of the City Manager's evaluation of the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group's proposal.

The Auditor General says the process being followed is legitimate and is neither inappropriate nor illegal.

So by the looks of things, this should clear up the final hurdle for the project to go ahead and football to be back in Ottawa. Just have to get through these last public meetings which were scheduled for Thurs/Fri this week (and some are now saying may drag on into Sat.).

God help us I hope this is it!

Sounds good yukoner, football fans in our nation's capital deserve a team.

Sadly, it came out today the final approval won't be made until May, pending the outcome of the presentations by the public today and tomorrow. 93 individual presentations are scheduled over the 2 days by the way.

This is the longest, most drawn out public decision making process I have ever witnessed anywhere in Canada!

Unbelievable.

They're not necessarily against the CFL, but they have this vision that Lansdowne Park can be turned into this wonderful "urban oasis" which will draw tourists from all around the world, if it wasn't for that pesky stadium...

There are also some that are not impressed with the proposal being "revenue-neutral". That works in two ways.

a) They don't believe it really will be.
b) Even if it is, they don't think that's good enough (we should be able to make money off it)

The argument is usually "if they want the CFL team so bad, let them build a stadium themselves to play in" which of course, makes no sense because even if that were financially feasible, then those people would complain about giving up city-owned land to build the stadium on.