Next Coach To Be Gone

Last year around this time I posted a thread on another CFL site speculating "Who gets fired first - - Chamblin or Taman?" Not surprisingly, it was immediately deleted by the Rider Censorship Board - - aka the forum hall monitors.

If I had to give odds on the next coach to be out, I'd rank them:

1 - - Mike O'Shea. After two years of terrible players and an incompetent coaching staff, O'Shea finally has some talent to work with so expectations are going to be playoffs at a minimum. It'd be a huge mistake for the Winnipeg braintrust to fire him though, as O'Shea is one of the best coaches in the CFL.

2 - - Wally Bozo. Old coaches coming out of retirement to try and recapture past glory usually never ends well - - reference Gibbs, Joe. Wally the Coach is now going to realize what a horrifically bad roster Wally the GM put together.

3 - - Shovelface. The key word here is "gone" - - not fired. I can't see Bobo Young firing him, but with his past history but I can certainly see Shovelface stepping aside as HC. His history of short tenures before quitting, being overworked from double duty as GM/HC/OC, and his recent health scare all lend support to this.

4 - - Jim Flopp. Under normal circumstances, a coach this useless would be at the top of the list. But for unknown reasons, Slob Wettenhall has apparently given Flopp a lifetime contract in Montreal.

5 - - Ricky Campbell. Last year's miracle run to the Grey Cup will buy him some job security, but the RedBags are in for a major crash back to reality this year - - as in .500 or worst and fighting to get into the playoffs.

6 - - Scott Milanovich. No coach has done more with less than Milanovich has over the past three seasons. Now that the Argos have finally rid themselves from the scourge of Slumlord Braley, the playing field will at least be leveled. But with new ownership anything is possible.

7 - - Dave Dick. Hufnagel's hand picked apprentice will have a long leash. Hufnagel will not interfere in the coaching, unlike Wally Bozo who was constantly playing his protégé Benevides as a string puppet.

8 - - Jason Maas. This was a terrific hire for Edmonton as Maas is one of the better coaches in the league. The combination of a top notch coach and a star QB usually results in an extended period of success and stability.

9 - - Ego Jones. The Riders are already on the hook for over $1 MILLION in dead salary. Brendan Taman is being paid to sit at home in a rumpled track suit on his plaid couch. Chuckles Chamblin is being paid to sit at home in front of his mirror repeating to himself what a great coach he is. No possible way they'd eat another $500k for the next three or four seasons on top of the previous blunders.

[i]Geez Area-69... Are you under the assumption that a cash prize will be given out, to the poster who makes the post with the most insults?

There is no such prize by the way...[/i]

Pretty much agree. to add a bit:

1 - I would say there is some level of potential that a successor is in place in Lapo should things not go well.

2 - Wally seems to be a lot better GM right now than the past couple years. Seems like he really likes the new HC and is on the same page lol. He is a micromanager and could not seperate himself from the coaching staff well enough...pretty much didn't matter who had in there. I think he is likely safe this year barring something absolutely horrific....but with potential new ownership in the future that might be short lived beyond 2016, barring big success. He has made a few gambles on drafts and trades that I think have a good chance of panning out...trading the QB, picking up Boyko, a few things like that. while they might not have the depth here and now they do potentially have some coming down the road. I think at minimum he could use HC Wally as a meat shield for HC Wally.

3 - I don't agree with Austin, though I get the premise. He just extended through 2019, so it looks like he has intent to stay. He hasn't won the big game in Hamilton yet, so the NFL won't come knocking, and I think he personally wouldn't be looking for a move until he does that. The only other option is some major school in a HC position or something...while he faired well in his stint there, I am not sure those big schools are going to be knocking down his door.

4 - Popp... for me I would put him at number 2. he has the "I told you so" card with Higgins, so perhaps that is enough to save him if the Als to not progress. If butts in seats start becoming a challenge if the Als struggle I would say the axe will swing at this point. Again...he could use the same thing as Wally though and separate his duties. He doesn't have a strong desire to do both roles and him doing so is all about saving cash for paying the last couple out IMO.

5 - He lost a pile of depth on that roster. I think the GC run makes him safe for the season though.

6 - Agreed...Feel for the man and the team and the fans for the crap they have went through for a few years. This is like a new lease on life and I am looking forward to them in a real home with owners who appear to be in it for the long-haul as opposed to someone who was just trying to keep them afloat and started getting cheaper when Rogers kept stalling stuff. The new push on getting involved in the community is great, facility will be fun, a practice location that doesn't eat 1/3rd of their time to commute to...I love that they have new life and am excited to see what they do with it.

7 - the only thing I could see is Huf hating how Dickenson runs the club. I don't see Huf as a micromanager like Wally, so don't think it is going to be an issue...I think he will give him rope and let him learn, but be there to bounce stuff off of....I tend to think it will be a solid relationship and that he understands there will be bumps.

8 - Maas is in a tough spot...as with most championship teams they lost a lot of talent, but the core is still there. He is a smart man, but some of the turmoil in camp is a bit concerning. He would have to totally impload in his first season to lose his job.

9 - money paid out to ex coaches is a factor, but this is also a 1st time GM who is going to and has been hitting bumps. The fact that they have the money to do extensive scouting and never have, but now do, is a good thing. that is something that will be built on for time to come. Only way it would be considered is if they regress...can't see that happening as they were dreadful last season. the improved d alone should be enough to hold them in enough games to improve as it was beyond horrid last season.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. I follow this club right down to the practice roster. I pay attention to every signing, attend practices and games, and even attend training camp. This is the most excited I've been about the upcoming season in some time. The sudden departure of WR Lavelle Hawkins is going to hurt, field goal kicking could be 'iffy,' but the BC Lions are talented and deep at most every position.

It's not Wally finding these guys; it's his scouting staff.

Oh come on.. You laughed a little.
I prefer Dirtbag Wally,but who's even counting at home.

LMFAO!!! I've referred to him as Jerk face for years, but Shovelface is awesome!!

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Remember when he left the Riders the first time and Rider fans took an old car and put his jersey number on it, and smashed the car with sledgehammers...
Haha.. my friend back then(who is now a priest) was a huge Bible beater was so enraged that he called him C7nt Austin.
I remember being in shock,because this was the kids d of guy who wouod say words like freaking instead of swearing. Ole shovel face, has been peeving people off for years.

There is one man I know who probably hates him more than anyone elose hates him...and understandably so....good god I wish I could post on that one.

I personally think Austin is a great football mind and have always said it...not so sure I am an Austin fan in Austin himself.

gotta admit a few of those epithets were chuckle worthy.

when Bob O'Billovich was the coach/GM of the Argos back in the day, my father (a Cats fan) regularly called him Bob O'Fullofsh##

:lol:
8 - Maas is in a tough spot...as with most championship teams they lost a lot of talent, but the core is still there. He is a smart man, but some of the turmoil in camp is a bit concerning. He would have to totally impload in his first season to lose his job.[/b]

9 - money paid out to ex coaches is a factor, but this is also a 1st time GM who is going to and has been hitting bumps. The fact that they have the money to do extensive scouting and never have, but now do, is a good thing. that is something that will be built on for time to come. Only way it would be considered is if they regress...can't see that happening as they were dreadful last season. the improved d alone should be enough to hold them in enough games to improve as it was beyond horrid last season.

What is the turmoil in Esks camp Depop?

There are really only two sitting on explosive situations. O'Shea and Popp. I think both will improve over last season. Would be nice to see a little bit of stability in the CFL.

Well I also have said it for years and have no problem saying it again.
Austin has won everywhere he's been whether coaching or playing.
I've also said if the Rider Head office would have gotten Austin as GM and HC instead of Tamen and Chamblin the Riders would have been and would be now in a much stronger position overall.
Just saying :cowboy:

I agree with this. I don't like Austin at all, but I have a lot of respect for him as a football mind. Same for Chris Jones.

I also agree that the only two coaches really on the hotseat this year are O'Shea and Popp. Both teams HAVE to improve on last year or else someone is going to have to walk the plank.

Gotta admit I did get a chuckle out of Bobo Young :lol: but knowing A-51 it was probably just a typo. :wink: although I wish I had Bob's money. :cowboy:

Hank Burris?
Dave Stala?
Drew Edwards?
Chris Williams?
Eric Norwood?
Justin Medlock?
etc
etc
etc

I have a feeling Maas will be the 1st.

Ya think Ears doesnt have what it takes to be a HC?
Id have a hard time taking orders from him to tell you the truth.I t would be hard to take him seriously
It was one thing when he was a QB and those puppies were tucked into his helmet, But unless he plans on wearing a hoody, it would be hard not to laugh in his face when he's giving you the gears.

I think Maas is a smart guy but he's gone up the coaching ladder a bit too quickly. Just a few years as a position coach, then one season as OC, and now he's the head coach? He's got a great team to work with, and I hope he excels for the good of the league (we need new coaching blood). But he may experience some growing pains.

But he's beloved in Edmonton and they will allow him time to grow and he will respect Ed Hervey's mentoring a lot more than Jones. I think he will do well if he can keep his emotions in check. Stuff like reaching out to Thorpe, he's got to watch those kind of things.

Oh yeah, I agree. Not saying he'll get canned or anything. Just feeling that he's risen awfully quickly in the coaching ranks.