Next Chapter: New Owner - the Doman Era

I really don’t like seeing some teams at 4 games & others at 6. A couple of weeks ago only 1 Eastern played. 19 Eastern games to date vs. 27 for the West. The schedule this year is bonkers.

The league is likely packing in good warm weather home games at every stadium that isn't roofed and is wisely putting a bunch of cooler home games in at BC Place Stadium. The guy in charge of scheduling at the league office is exceptionally clever; there's always a reason.

2 Likes

That’s why the CFL needs a 10th team for a balanced schedule

3 Likes

This is not the first time the schedule has come up in discussion. The back to backs and double / triple headers have always been an issue. There was a pretty good discussion on this forum in 2019.

Possibly as a result of that feedback the 2020 schedule was a really good schedule that never got played. My compliments to the person responsible for that effort. If it is the same person who came up with the current schedule they will know how disappointing the lack of effort is to many fans.

As you say “there is always a reason” and being told is a really good reason sometimes. It appears travel expenses now take a higher priority than fan engagement.

Thank you for your comment though. It would be nice to see you more often. I would love to hear your opinion of the forum.

Not only 2 byes, but 2 Thursday night games against Eastern opponents. :roll_eyes:

On the plus side, the Lions historically have drawn their biggest gates after Labour Day. In this market, Fall is considered football season, not the Spring/Summer.

Tough to get folks indoors in July and August and BC Place did the club no favours Thursday in what was truly a miserable fan experience (game and game-day presentation notwithstanding). The roof remained closed due to a “mechanical issue.” It was a solarium/sauna there. I was sweating profusely in a football jersey and shorts. I can’t imagine how hot it was on field for the players. :frowning_face:

5 Likes

I am shocked that they left the roof closed.

I don’t think they could build a can opener big enough to do the job on short notice :wink:

1 Like

Apparently it was stuck!

Just saw this from the Lions website. I know some fans lament sports bars not playing CFL games. Maybe this will help change that a bit.

5 Likes

Brilliant

That’s been up for awhile and originally for bar owners there was a contact email for details to get a bar listed, but I see that is gone.

some nice pubs in that list

1 Like

Just listened to Amar Doman on the Sekeres and Price podcast. Although it’s not going to happen next season he’s looking forward to a Labor Day game with the Schooners down the road. I thought Atlantic Canada was dead in the water but he must see something. He’s happy with the way the season is going for the Lions on and off the field this season. A bit lengthy but check it out if you have the time. Sekeres & Price Show

2 Likes

Interesting he's looking for more 4 PM Saturday games . . . and maybe even a 4 PM Thursday game!?

Also, he takes MLSE to task for not taking responsibility for the state of the Argos.

2 Likes

Well he’s keeping an open mind to all possibilities and willing to give it a try to see how it goes. Being an old timer and an original season ticket holder to the Canucks when they came into the NHL my first thoughts on those earlier Saturday games was going to be a disaster. But it wasn’t and the fans adapted so maybe earlier starts will work. I was hoping they would have brought up his thoughts on Sunday games but they didn’t.

Didn’t hear him say it but a Sunday at 4pm would be great in the early /late fall as well . Maybe one before labour Day .

7 pm EST would be a great Sunday CFL night or late afternoon game .

Listened to most of it,
He is a treasure to the CFL
Thursday at 4PM could work,
Tons of people work downtown Vancouver and commute home to the burbs every night in gridlock traffic, probably don't get home till after 7 PM anyways.
Watch the game at BC Place, then commute home and be home by 8PM

4 Likes

The other thing about a 4pm Saturday or an afternoon game on Sunday is it might draw some fans from Vancouver Island. Last season some island fans were commenting that they couldn’t attend the games because they couldn’t make the last ferry sailings back to the island. This should work for them.

3 Likes

So simple hey?
4 :00 pm games in Van are a great idea. Stadium right downtown. Skip out of work an hour early. Meet friends at the game and have a beer. Game over at 7 local time. Night's young.
Brilliant.

4 Likes

I would have found it counterintuitive in the past–i.e., you can’t start the game while people are still (supposed to be) at work.

Now that I’m a little older, I think it could work just as you describe.
:beers:

1 Like