Next Chapter: New Owner - the Doman Era

Literally a big piece added with signing Jovon Cottoy for two years. Hoping that he can live up to the potential we have been waiting to see.

Wonder if they spend some of the money saved on Rourke on Micah Johnson.

It’s all about the fans. :smiley: :+1:

Amar Doman on Sportscage today
With New blood at the top like Doman, Cui, Stern along with Bob Young,
I personally have new hope for the future of this League

Amar Doman owner of the BCLions says sometimes remote ownership means missing out on some key aspects that local ownership, like himself, may bring to the table.

Amar Doman said he's going right after flag football to target re-capturing youth fans.
Says it'll be a journey though to rebuild amateur, youth and pro ball in BC.

Amar Doman - "Everything's being reviewed. We have to look at everything. But that Canadian ratio has to be there in a strong form. Who knows what that number is."

Amar Doman - "What a selling feature, having Nathan Rourke (a Canadian at QB)."

Amar Doman - "We're going to bring attention to the CFL, attention to the BCLions and make it fun, and bring back some nostalgia. And bring some new, high class level stuff to the CFL, which it deserves."

Amar Doman - "We're going to get it shining & get ppl here talking about it locally. I'm investing in that. I'm investing in the community, in youth football...& we got to get this star studded up on the left coast."

Amar Doman - "I just have this feeling of purpose that we're going to get this done, and we're going to have a lot of fun with it."

Amar Doman - "The BCLions are becoming our family. The CFL is our family. The Doman family is not going anywhere."

Amar Doman - "We want to make the product fun, attractive, and affordable. We now have a $6 package where a child can get a drink, something to eat. I'm subsidizing some of the tickets. We want to make it affordable."

Amar Doman - "We're not going anywhere. We're here for the long term. There's other teams in the league that would benefit from this style of ownership in the East. MontreALs are going to get there."

Amar Doman - "Toronto needs a little bit. Once Toronto gets on this type of footing in the next couple of years, if it does, I think that'd be fantastic for the CFL."

Amar Doman - "To have a lot of passion. & ppl like us that are investing in & writing cheques into a football franchise into the community, into the Province, for the good of football."

Amar Doman said the next Board of Govenors meeting is coming up in 2 weeks in Toronto, and he will be attending with the rest of the Govenors.

Amar Doman - "I've got some thoughts on the agenda & I'll be a little more vocal w/ certain things that are on the agenda, and that we'll be voting on. It's a real honour to be pt of CDN history to be on the BofG's."

3 Likes

Nice to know a fresh voice for the Lions.

Hopefully he would be able to deliver on some aspects.

Nice to know he’s supporting the Canadian ratio to a certain extent.

1 Like

I can hardly wait until Doman pushes his demands and establishes his domain. He’s da man! :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Doman has been one of the great moments lately in the CFL where there is a genuine feeling of optimism .

1 Like

That’s the feeling I get too. The pandemic is ending, season tickets sales are up in Edmonton, Toronto’s got a team that just might be too good to ignore, Ottawa’s better (on paper), Saskatchewan is getting excited about hosting the Cup, while the rest of us are holding our own.

There’s no where to go but up in BC and I believe THAT’S exactly what’s happening. New ownership and new hope after a disappointing 2021. This could be good year to be a Lion. :partying_face:

4 Likes

I don’t remember a time when the league has had such strong ownership across the board . If MLSE gets on board to Doman’s ideas ; I think that market can finally stop the slide and move up organically from the roots up .

3 Likes

With the new blood in Doman, Cui, and Stern at the top of the food chain of the CFL at these Board of Governors meetings,
It can only be positive for the League! :+1:

2 Likes

As long as they don’t screw with the rules and ratio and there is an upside about to happen this season.

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:

With these new owners, gambling revenue, increased revenue sharing, and the partnership with Genius, there’s some hope the CFL business model will be changing for the better.

5 Likes

Fingers crossed your right :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Here’s some promising news on the Lions’ Cap situation. There’s something left in the budget to fix that offensive line (if it needs fixing):

1 Like

And now they hire Henry Burris as an offensive consultant. Brilliant move. Fresh, well liked and community friendly,

2 Likes

Outstanding!!!

4 Likes

That’s good news for the Lions and the CFL.

2 Likes

Interesting contrast to the Tanenbaum attitude:

“It’s exceeding my expectations, frankly. There’s no quick-fix for anything in life whether it’s business, marriages, whatever you want to say, but I’ll tell you if you look at the journey as a long one and you structure it correctly and start building it with a good foundation like my dad used to tell me, that’s the way you do it and that’s what we’re doing right here in B.C.,” said Doman.

“There’s nothing wrong with the product — in fact, it’s just getting eyeballs back into BC Place, back on the networks watching this. It’s fantastic and I’m really excited about what the team is going to do.”

I think the best detail from the article might be a smaller one, but:

Doman wants to see more young fans at games this season and has worked with BC Place to make concessions more affordable. He indicated that a kids meal including a hot dog, chips, and a drink can now be purchased for $10.

That’s a reasonable price for families to spend on kids.

3 Likes

If 8 out of the 9 teams take the approach like Doman does then the future is bright for the CFL and Larry will have to play along whether he likes it or not.

But build your fanbase one Dan at a time.

5 Likes

And Caretaker Bob Young:

" This is the most exciting time of the year"
“It’s like Christmas. The start of the new season. We, and admittedly all the other teams, are undefeated. All we have to do is keep that streak going for the rest of the season & we’ll have done pretty well.”

2 Likes