News updates

So I just read on sportsnet.ca that Frank Clair has, sadly, passed away in Florida. Now I'm treading a thin line here, and it's not my intention to take anything away from his death! But I have to wonder ... how come I still can't find this information (as it breaks) on cfl.ca?

At least I can get info - there's no debating that. But I think the official website of the CFL should be the first place to go for news updates! Am I wrong to expect an official league website to be up-to-the-minute? Clearly, other websites are able to do this ...

Other than that, I quite like what I see so far :slight_smile:

Still waiting CFL.CA :twisted:

Frank Clair passed away April 3, 2005. Cfl.ca did a nice tribute to him on the site if I recall.

damn. does that mean I missed the funeral??

Frank Clair, the man who transformed the Ottawa Rough Riders from struggling franchise to CFL powerhouse in the 1960s and 1970s, died of congestive heart failure on Sunday. Clair died in Sarasota, Fla. He was 87.

After leading the Toronto Argonauts to two Grey Cup titles in the early 1950s, Clair joined the Riders in 1956 and started to turn around the poorly-run organization.

Former Ottawa Rough Riders coach Frank Clair passed away on Sunday. (CP File Photo)

Under his coaching guidance, the Riders won the Grey Cup in 1960, 1968 and 1969.

He retired from coaching with his name attached to nearly every CFL record. Only Montreal's Don Matthews (230 victories) and B.C.'s Wally Buono (193) have more career coaching wins in CFL history than Clair's 147.

He took over the general manager's role in 1970 and once again found success, leading the Riders to championships in 1973 and 1976.

He was released after the 1978 season and Ottawa hasn't come close to a Grey Cup title since his departure.

Clair was inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame as a builder in 1981.

Lansdowne Park, home of the CFL's Ottawa Renegades and former stadium of the Rough Riders, was renamed in Clair's honour in 1993

This is from a CBC news archive, the man deserves respect for making the Rough Riders into a contender, and a winner. Really FYB, show a little respect.

I have shown no disrespect.

No, but dredging up threads from three years ago is a little ridiculous.

Its a slow day. Where is the harm. Lighten up

It's annoying. And I'm light enough, thanks. If you are going to drag something up from three years ago, make it have a point.

One should not be so easily annoyed. On the other hand, what I find annoying is checking back an hr later and finding zero new posts, sigh.

And, it did have more than one point

1 Bordom relief
2 mimic thrillyn
3 another chance to remember FC
4 another friendly dig at CFL.ca
5 to give others a reason to post, even if only to bitch :stuck_out_tongue:

Point number five was effective. The rest, not so much.

Seriously...lame.

my apologies. Just trying to kill time. Didnt think it would actually ruffle anyones feathers. I will try not to do it again. :cry:

I don't think you have enough class to be invited. Bad post on your part even if it is slow.

FYB, the next time you're bored and waiting around for someone to post... why don't you open a book? Or do a puzzle. Go for a walk. Call someone on the phone.

You could do any number of things. But dredging up threads that have been buried for several years just so you can post is bad Internet etiquette.

aww hell, it was only three, two here and one in ticats. not like I did a whole page worth. sheesh.

This coach was the ONLY CFL coach to draft, develop and play a Canadian player at QB. Coach Clair deserves great credit for allowing Russ Jackson to develop into one of the finest QB"s ever in the CFL and, this would include the American QB's.