New view to west at the stadium

For those of you who haven't had the chance to drive by the stadium, just be aware that the view will be different at Friday nights game. The "Prince of Wales" school at the west end of the stadium is now a pile of rubble. For those of you who are history buffs, like myself, this will be the first time that anyone has sat in the stadium and not looked upon the school. It was there when the stadium, Civic Stadium (which it should still be called) was built for the Empire Games (1936). So without even trying, you will all be part of history. Now how long into the game will the setting sun be in the eyes of the receivers?

I remember seeing all the kids scramble up to the school roof and sit dangerously on the edge to catch a glimps of our beloved Ticats. A memory i will never forget.

The Civic Stadium was first opened in 1930. The stadium was originally built to host the British Empire Games which was Canada's first major international athletic event held in August of 1930

This photo is from 1961 taken from the North stands looking towards the West End bleachers and Prince of Wales School in the background.

(note the track surrounding the field at that time)

This was a Hill Park Rams football game.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9232/civicstadiumnk6.jpg

I was surprised to see Matelot's reference to 1936, because I first attended that school in 1933. So I was pleased with Captain Kirk's correction to 1930.
Several of us on here attended Prince of Wales.
Thanks Mikey for the shot of the track. More memories. I've been in track meets there, both in High School and for the Hamilton Olympic Club.
I'll miss seeing that view to the west.

Sorry guys, you are of course correct. Should not send messages at 1 a.m. after spending the evening chatting with "Alexander Keith"

are they rebuilding a new school?in the same spot?

Yes, they are building a new school on the same site. I think it is going to replace that school and 2 other, but not sure which ones.

i wounder whats happening with scott park,its been closed for awhile now.

Much like this year's version of the Ticats, the school has been reduced to a pile of rubble.

Much like this year's version of the Ticats, the school is being rebuilt.

Scott Park was sold a couple of years ago, not certain who purchased it, I think it was Oriental investors.
Prince of Wales students are now in the old Sanford School which was replaced recently by the new Cathy Wever School which sits on the old Central High School property.
I don't think the new POW is going to replace 2 other schools, the only schools around there are King George which I don't think is slated for closure, historical significance, and Adelaide Hoodless which is not going to close any time soon. It could be Gibson School though.
Sad to see the old schools go but I guess it is all for the better, lower energy costs, less maintenance etc. on the new schools.

Baldy:

Think you might be right about POW. I think any new students will be from area adjustments because of new schools and demolition of old ones. So they might be getting some from Gibson and others caught up in the change.

I remember seeing all the kids scramble up to the school roof and sit dangerously on the edge to catch a glimps of our beloved Ticats. A memory i will never forget.
I remember that too. As kids we didn`t always have the money to get in the games. so either you had to scramble to the POW`s roof or try to jump the fence to Ivor Wynne about 2 hours before the game.

On this page, this is a cool picture of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip driving around Civic Stadium in 1959....

click here

Everyone is quick to look at negatives.

How about, with that old building knocked down, we won’t have to struggle to see the pollution…but I still love the Hammer!!!

The real way to improve the view would be to build a new stadium as far away from the East End as possible. I think it's location does much to limit the fanbase for the team.

Not really,

If you want to go to a game, youll go. I dont think the location in the east end is a big problem

I enjoy the location.

Cheap parking, easy car or transit access, good tough (but safe)area of Hamilton.
Love It!!!

For Cripes Sake people! It was just a heads up that the school was gone. Does everything on this site have to turn into a frigin argument. Just have a bloody beer and chill out.