New TIcket prices + new sections = new fans

The CFL grass movement is only as good as each teams plan for the younger and newer fans

bclions.com/article/tickets/for-the-new-game-gemstone-gridiron-deck-and-family-zone-on-sale.

Great idea at
30.000 for the Gridiron section for the younger party crowd
25.00 for the family zone ticket
both with special amenties catering to the specifc fan group.

the other team owned by the senator we should be seeing something very similar going on at RC.
Moder era modern ideas. Both venues have the room to do these things

Yes finally bc has affordable prices, i was only hoping they would reduce some tickets in the corners on the lower bowl. $50.00 each is way too expensive. should be around $30.00

With choosing to black out the first 5 home games following up with this plan is a good strategy. If your going to keep the local fans from seeing the game on TV you need to make affordable tickets for the avg person to come to the game.
Taking it a step further to section out seats to cater different demographic groups with amenities specific to that group shows a well though out plan.

The CFL and the LIons need to fire their MARKETING strategists and wake up--

The Whitecaps are drawing all the young families to the games and the younger crowd in general- The calibre of white Cap soccer is pretty micky mouse if you ask me-

However they have created a better atmosphere and the way they set the stadium up looks PROFESSIONAL-

The Lions are not marketing the CFL to any of the younger people- Young people in BC are mostly Bandwagonners, the NFL is really popular now with DIRECT SUNDAY TICKET and also FANTASY FOOTBALL- Things that are popular like UFC, NFL, fancy Cars, Canucks seem to catch fire- The CFL has not caught fire and really only gets TRUE fans that attend -----

The Lions need to do a better job in the following areas--

• Need to market the team and CFL better- You rarely hear anything about the team-
  • Pre game Tailgate parties need to be expanded to make it more of an experience-
  • Hire a real professional announcer to do the games who understands football-
    -Hire some better halftime performances instead of the Amateur acts that they hire- Its not good enough-
    -Educate the local fans that a team that actually wins TITLES like the Lions do are worthy of their money and not the garbage Canucks who havent won anything but charge prices as if they've won 10 stanley Cups-
    -Market to more businesses- With the amount of money, both legal and Illegal money floating aruond BC, there is no exuce for not selling out the stadium if they marketed to the businesses selling them season tickets-
    -Start offering free transit to games for FANS with tickets-
    -Allow fans on the field for pregames like the Seahawks do-

The Whitecaps are drawing all the young families to the games and the younger crowd in general- The calibre of white Cap soccer is pretty micky mouse if you ask me-

However they have created a better atmosphere and the way they set the stadium up looks PROFESSIONAL-

The Lions are not marketing the CFL to any of the younger people- Young people in BC are mostly Bandwagonners, the NFL is really popular now with DIRECT SUNDAY TICKET and also FANTASY FOOTBALL- Things that are popular like UFC, NFL, fancy Cars, Canucks seem to catch fire- The CFL has not caught fire and really only gets TRUE fans that attend -----

• Need to market the team and CFL better- You rarely hear anything about the team-
  • Pre game Tailgate parties need to be expanded to make it more of an experience-
    -Hire some better halftime performances instead of the Amateur acts that they hire- Its not good enough-
    -Educate the local fans that a team that actually wins TITLES like the Lions do are worthy of their money and not the garbage Canucks who havent won anything but charge prices as if they've won 10 stanley Cups-
    -Market to more businesses- With the amount of money, both legal and Illegal money floating aruond BC, there is no exuce for not selling out the stadium if they marketed to the businesses selling them season tickets-

I agree with you Gridiron. I think this season the Lions are taking a step in the right direction. They have 2 sections in the upper bowl that at the 25 and 30 dollar price points which is very good. Both sections are trying to encourage young students and family to come to the games. This is huge. I think it's important to grow the game at the young people so that they can take their kids to the games when they grow up. Another thing they are doing right is the partnership with Coast Capital Savings. This year we'll get to see their ugly blue logo on the Leos jerseys, but the good thing is that people that do their banking with Coast Capital get to buy discounted tickets. That's a thumbs up for me.

A lot of excellent points, unfortunately the popularity of the CFL is being rubbed out by the NFL game , yes there are a lot of fans viewing cfl games on tv, yes places like Sask, Winnipeg, Montreal, sometimes Calgary and Edmonton, get very good attendance on almost every home game, but the NFL is very TV oriented, and the seahawks being such a up and coming good team, young fans will be more attracted to that then any BC lions game, it has been this way ever since Bob Ackles passed away, in fact they did a survey on the TEAM 1040 a year ago and asked would you rather go to the western final at BC place ( lions vs. Stamps) on Sunday or go to a seahawk game 75% of viewers said seahawk game, this is something that is going to be a big problem in city's like Vancouver, Toronto. The two biggest markets in the cfl, Toronto very short drive to bills games, Vancouver , 2.5 hours drive to Seattle, there are more and more vancouverites , going to Seattle every year to shop, take in a seahwk, mariners, game then before in fact there are close to 6.000 BC residents that have seahawk season tickets, which has almost doubled in the last 2 years, I love the CFL , love the lions i support them but facts are facts, the lions are always going to be second fiddle, to the Canucks ,Seahawks, and some small way the whitecaps, as you said before all you see at whitecap games are , teens, kids with family's. And a lot of Orientals, were at BC lions games are still a crowed of over 40 , ( majority of them) yes you are going to get the excellent 45,000 + crowed at the western final. a sold out stadium at a grey cup.

What really bothers me is Dennis Sk, on the team 1040 about a week ago said they are going to be around 18,000 season tickets, (the same as last year) and he said quote " we are fine with this" Are kidding me ? Is that the way to conduct business to say your sales are the same as last year ? That is not the right thinking of how to grow a product I am a business owner and you are always thinking how to Grow your business not stay the same, in fact on of my colleagues heard this interview and could not believe what he said, " we are happy at staying at 18,000" and he is just a small business,

this is not 1983 -88 anymore when the lions were averaging over 40,000 a game, unless there is a miracle that happens the lions will always stay at the 30,000 a game, and I hate it when The management, fan's and some radio personalities say " yeah 30,000 is not that bad compared to were we were in the mid 90's when the team was only getting 15,000 a game" I think Geory Simon said it best when he got settled in Sask, over the winter ," BC has great fans when they want to show up"

I do not know how to fix this , so I am not going to suggest what they have to do, But Gridiron you said it all in your excellent statement here, all I say to you is pass that on to the lions and maybe that will help,

oh yeah I heard that they only have around ( cknw)24,000 tickets sold for the home opener, this Thursday so I will say they will get 27,000 at best, NOT GOOD :thdn:

Danfootball 48- Excellent post and I agree with everything you stated.

Yes the Seahawks are really getting popular these days, even ladies are interested in attending Seattle for a game, and thats because of the LEVEL of FAN EXCITEMENT and ENERGETIC ATMOSPHERE that a Seahawk game gives.

With the cost of living rising, and entertainment choices at an all time high people are looking for an EDGE- To succeed you must either provide the fans with an ENERGETIC FUN FAN FRIENDLY atmosphere--

I think in Vancouver its clear that FANS here have the MONEY and are willing to spend it (canuck overpriced tickets) if they BUY into the team- The Canucks for the most part are a good hockey team that is MARKETED WELL- They market the CANUCK brand to fans-
It comes down to supply and Demand- The DEMAND for Canucks ticket is very high because people are DRIVING the demand up because there are lots of people who want to go to the games- The supply is standard but DEMAND has increased bigtime- Canucks have really got the average uneducated fan to be a loyal follower to the team- How else can you justify paying ridiculous tickets for a team that has never won a stanley cup, has probably the quietest and worst atmosphere in the NHL-

As you eloquently stated that the president stated "we are ok with 18000 season tickets" is a problem- It is a problem for sure- The LIons have a lot of supply - 50,000 seats but the DEMAND is very low- Its decreasing if anything now that the SEAHAWKS are really popular and also the addition of the WHITECAPS- The Whitecaps are another direct competitor who is DOMINATING the YOUNG FAMILY MARKET who is the future clientelle of sporting events in VAN- That entire market is being dominated by the WHITECAPS and they have been only around for 2-3 seasons-

If the LIons want to increase demand for the LIONS they need to do 1 simple thing- "THey need to actually put a plan together"
So far the LIons are expecting tickets to increase while they have done absolutely nothing to promote the team- Ive seen a commercial with LULAY and see the discounted ticket sections-
These were tactics in the 1980's- These tactics do not work anymore- You have to do a lot more than that to succeed--

A female friend of mine was talking about the LIons game on Thursday to some friends and said "oh you're going to LIons game to get DRUNK? The friend responded Yes we are going to get drunk, doesent everyone? My friend responded actually I know 1 guy (ME) that actually goes to watch the football game- The other friend seemed shocked and said really you mean he actually goes to watch the players play football?

Im not an expert in marketing but have a fair bit of creative ideas---

The LIons need to COMMIT to a PURPOSE such as Becoming the Leaders in the CFL in terms of FAN EXPERIENCE- ITs all about EXPERIENCE for fans- If they have good positive FUN experiences they will return, if they dont they will not return-

The LIons game is too much about football and FOOTBALL ALONE will not sell tickets anymore- With the younger Me generation who has grown up with IPADS and Facebook and computers there attention SPAN is limited so you need to constantly be entertaining them or they will lose FOCUS-

Money is not a problem in BC- The problem is doing the same things over and over and over-

Fans should say, well that was a really FUN game and I cant wait to go again--

perfectly said. Football games are about more than just football anymore it is an event for people to gather and the home team is responsible to have new and modern creative ways to get people to the game and then want to come back on a regular basis.
There is the seahawks nearby but they are not playing now, the NHL is done, and the WC being the main competition they should be looking at some of the things that they are doing to draw that family crowd and follow suit.
TSN has given the entire league National exposure and professional coverage it is now up to each organization to capitalize on this and not ride the coat tails.

Exactly CFL Steve-

There are 8 Halftime Shows for the LIons- I am sure now the LIons look at the 8 Halftime Shows as “ok we need 8 halftime acts to fill the halftime” They are putting amateur acts at halftime when in reality the HALFTIME show is really a 15 minute slot for CREATIVE PROFESSIONAL ACTS to entertain fans-

Fans should be saying I cant wait til halftime to see what the LIons do? How hard is it for the LIons in the offseason to BOOK 8 interesting halftime ACTS for the LIons? They are not seeing the OPPORTUNITY for halftime shows and instead are just FILLING the halftime slots with dogs catching frisbees and other mickey mouse acts.

Hopefully the Lions read these comments because in 10 years when the older fans stop going I worry that the younger fans may not support the team- It happened in Ottawa and can happen here if we do not support the team.

I was there tonight argo game that is, was sitting in the family section, ( excellent idea) finally someone was putting there thinking cap on reminded me of the nallys chip section at old empire, it was packed in that section, everybody was having a amazing time, know if the lions some how can do this with the rest of bc place, i guarantee you the lions ( as long as they are winning) would get 35,000 a game, it seemed to me that there were a lot of empty endzone seats , way to overpriced $42,00 each way to much i would say put the endzones at $30.00 each all in , the lions are on the right track with the fun zone and kids zone but they still have a lot of work to do with, marketing, and getting people excited about this team, again the half time show sucked, nobody was watching in fact when she was done doing her performance looked like she could care less walking off the stage, and yes the lions got to get more of the teenage youth into this team ( like they were in the mid 80's)
i hardly saw any teenage youth there at all, a lot of mid 20's age but the lions need to connect with high school kids do not see any of them there, Infact i was walking to the game tonight and there was a few youg kids ( looked liked sports fans) did not even know there was a game , i said are you guys lions fans thet said yes , but it is cooler to be at a whitecaps game, there you go that said it righ there.

Mr Skulsky please wake up and smell the coffee , what the whitecaps are doing are first of all making the atmosphere unbelivable, by tarping off the top deck and squeezing everybody into one area, were right there makes it looks amazing, secondly they are connecting with the teenage youth and the chinese population downtown, THEY ARE MAKING IT COOL TO WEAR OR GO TO A WHITECAPS GAME , Something that Bob Ackles was doing when he was here, and has been going down hill ever since. Unless the Lions start looking what the whitecaps are doing, they are going to go from 25,222 from tonight to right back to 16-18k a game.

From what I noticed last night, the 2 new sections in the upper bowl at the $25 and $30 price points sold pretty well considering it was a Thursday night. The problem is that the rest of the upper bowl and the endzones in the lower bowl are still too expensive for the average casual fan. One of the corner endzones in the lower bowl last night looked completed empty.

I agree- Why not have the entire upper bowl at 20-25$ per ticket? What is there to lose?

We will have prob as Dan said 35,000 Fans per game- But its more about building a FAN BASE and other REVENUE--

-Concession sales would skyrocket- If you are paying 20-25$ per ticket, you will guaranteed buy more beer and more food because your ticket didnt cost you $50-
-Also Jersey Sales, t shirts and other things increase as well because now we have 10-15 thousand extra fans-

-Plus with the new 10-15 thousand fans they are future FANS and tell their friends who will come--

I can tell you that Dennis Sulsky takes the role as President like he is running 50 other companies and has no time- You can just see he is far too old to even care- He is just milking his salary- He is not young and full of energy and ideas- Its clear--

The Whitecaps indeed are making the stadium look professional- I attended my first Whitecap week game 3 weeks ago and was shocked how good the Whitecaps make BC place look- They really make it look better and more professional--

Also how can the Lions justify charging NFL PRICES for tickets? You simply cannot charge $42 for an endzone ticket--

The reason is because of the PLAYERS-- Why would anyone pay $75-$90 for a LIons ticket when you can buy a SEAHAWK ticket for the same (albeit it wont be as good of a ticket).

THE NFL has star power- Russel wilson playing TOm BRADY, Aaron Rogers-- Im sorry but HENRY BURRIS, Buck Pierce, Durant, and Calvillo just dont MOTIVATE people to spend that kind of money---

The CFL should lower their ticket prices-------------

Back in the 80's and 90's the NFL was not very popular at all in Canada-- Canadians knew the CFl stars such as Flutie, Dunigan, Damon Allen, Dewalt, Mervin Fernandez, Pringle, Sapungis----

Now the popularity and notoriety of CFL players is at an all time LOW and the ticket prices are GOING UP? Thats a recipe for disaster and a bad business model--

Who knows- its pretty obvious that BRALEY owns the Argos and LIons as a HOBBY- who knows if its not just a creative way to write off taxes and Funnel money into the teams- Basically like a charity--

Ask any of your friends who know football to name 5 Lions football players and most would not be able to do it- That right there falls on Dennis Sulsky who has done nothing to promote the team and interest is steadily declining--

In roughly 7-12 years as DAN said the Lions will start drawing under 20,000 fans- The only thing saving them is that the Lions are actually a GOOD team and Grey Cup contendors-

IF the LIons start to struggle and have a few seasons where they finish last, they will start to draw 15-18000 fans a game-

The reason I think they may fold in 12 years is because even though We were GREY CUP CHAMPS 2 years ago, there was little to no interest in the CIty last year for the LIons? If we are winning the GREY CUP and people dont care then that means they dont believe in the CFL as a PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE- Meaning the CFL has lost its CREDIBILITY with the local fans--

Yes the Lions need to be more professional for sure- They need to bring in PRO announcers, Dj's, strippers, whatever it takes-
They need to make people say wow the LIONS games are awesome-

Next thing you know the Lions Brass will be crying for a new cozier stadium that BC place too big like the Argos instead of getting out and marketing the team. Ya I know there are other issues with RC and there lack of dates whatever. All the more reason for the Argos to sign on for the TD Atlantic for the next 3 seasons in exchange for a nice profit up front from the CFL marketing department and leave the people in charge of that at the CFL office to recoup that revenue.
Pre Season game the Riders wouldprobably love to hold a game in Saskatoon but do not want to take away from the pre season at Mosaic. The Riders will be swimming in green after this season and I mean money. if U of S can give an all expense paid trip to a CIS team why can't the Riders do the same. Two pre season games in their province in two different cities well worth it for the Riders. Reach out to Hamilton and get their them to get ticket to there post Labor Day game into Hamilton season ticket holders and get 40K for that game and RC will be a great atmosphere.
If the WhiteCaps can make it work by shrinking the stadium so can the Lions.
Edmonton has the same issue you do not see them crying they get 35K and do what they can to banner and dress the seats for a profit.
Edmonton has another CFL team in the province as well as an NHL team in their city and another in Calgary.
The Lions have the NHL and MLS and seattle football so really no different to what the Esks are facing.

This sounds like Toronto with the Argos. Its a big city with lots to do you have to get out there make yourself visible and promote yourself. Affordable tickets would be great but not if no one is aware they are playing. Alienating local business and corporate sponsors by blacking out your home games will not help either.
If you are the president and CEO of a company and your employees in your marketing department are not doing there job you fire them and find someone who will

It does seem as though Braley is treating this like a hobby. I would not be surprised to see a possibility of the Canucks Sports and Entertainment group were to give serious though to owning the Lions as the Calgary Flames LP did with acquiring the majority share of the Stamps. A CFL team is inexpensive and has a low overhead cost but if promoted correctly it can bring in nice profits. The synergy model and promoting the teams together cuts costs in the front office for the CFL team to almost nothing with all of the marketing and others already in place for the the NHL teams.
Much like the Canucks S & E owning the Arena the Flames own managing rights of there arena where they also own an NLL Lacrosse team and WHL hockey team that both use the Arena.
CFL and NHL play in Opposite seasons and there has already a rise in season tickets for the Stamps have increased. Flames LP also has stepped in to get the renovations at McMahon up and going ASAP starting with a quick fix of some seating on the edges of the Grandstands which will extend to VIP sections closer to the field to go with the current Suites that are too far and too small and new Concession and Washroom facilities away from the crowded concourse and into the open spaces of the end zone.
The MLSE and the OSEG are doing similar with different teams and leagues.
Canucks S & E are looking to invest in other leagues such as the NBA so the CFL would make sense

Also how can the Lions justify charging NFL PRICES for tickets? You simply cannot charge $42 for an endzone ticket--

NFL TICKETS START AT $80.00 IN THE NOSE BLEEDS , SEATLE SEHAWK TICKETS DO ANYWAY.Yes i could see some nfl teams being a bit cheaper than $80.00 but not $40,00 for endzone seats, i think the cheapest ticket in the NFL for a endzone ticket lower bowl is $100.00 a piece and that is in Buffalo. i agree though $42,00 a ticket for a cfl game , in the endzone is too much i would say $30.00 would more reasonable.

You can not justify those prices that is why you are seeing the trial sections for the younger crowd and the Family Crowd. Should these 30.00 and 25.00 tickets become popular along with the special amenities for these sections you will see these sections grow.

I am not from Vancouver or the surrounding areas in BC but I do know that British Columbia High School football uses American HS federation rules. Only on University in Vancouver or anywhere else in BC plays with Canadian Football rules. There are only 2 Universities at all in Vancouver or BC that even have a University Football team and SFU play in the NCAA DII.
The state of Washington which is very close to Vancouver as we all know have top quality football programs at 3 different NCAA levels FBS DI, FCS IAA, DII, DIII as well as well as NAIA
Does this affect the BC Lions with the whole state HS playing US rules and only two Universities in Vancouver and non anywhere else in BC

It's good to see Skulsky and company do these trial sections at the $25 and $30 price points. In the past, we've heard from Braley and Skulsky not wanting to lower ticket prices because it "cheapens" the product. At least they are finally listening to the fans. There's still a lot of work to do and I want to see the new sections sell well as the season progress. Braley was on the half time show with team1040 and said that in 5 years, he wants to see the lower bowl completely sold out and half of the entire upper bowl sold out on a regular basis. That would probably be 40k a game. That's a lofty goal, but I'd love to see it happen. Nothing beats BC Place when it has 40k+.