New Stadium in the works for Regina.. finished by 2015

There is really only one firm I can see backing this privately here in Regina…

The thing is, in a project that is over $1 billion dollars, Fiacco says there is 75% private investment... it will be interesting to see who and what they are... I can see the taxpayers of Regina being on the hook for a lot more than 25%... it could be higher.. way higher... I would say that number would be at least 40%, depending on how much the "private investors" actually cough up... if this thing ever went to a vote, the margin of victory yay/nay could be less than 5 percentage points... the last thing that Fiacco needs is a divided city...

Good luck cleaning up the rail yards. I hope they don't carve the timetable in stone just yet!
$10 says the main sponsor for the stadium will be Potash Corp.

The way the province went to the wall (paron the pun :slight_smile: ) for them, they should be.

Cleaning up the old site is worth it just for that reason alone, great news for Rider fans. :thup:

It's gonna happen.. just a matter of time.

I guess all I can say, is I am hopeful, without being optomistic (if that makes sense).

Seems in this country we are politically backwards with this sort of thing.

New stadium talk only comes up when there is a potential bid for a one-time international event (Commonwealth, World University games etc..), rather than the need of a permanent tennant.

We always hear that cities will not support funding for a stadium for a team that will use it only 10 - 12 times a year, but funding always seems available for an event that lasts two weeks and is over!

We've been down this road once before. the fact that there was 300 business people in attendance gave me some comfort. Once I see who the partners are, then I'll feel better. I have no doubt there are enough companies to support the entire concept. It is getting them organized that is the tough part.

you guys can rip on me all you want, fact is… this is just pure speculation at this point. there is no deal in place…its a proposal… its not reality. thats just a fact.

is that supposed to hurt my feelings or bother me? seems like an insult of sorts? is that really called for? is it neccesary there internet tough guy? how old are you?its sad because you are probably twice my age. you probably have a kid my age. thats awesome tho.

thanks so much for the insightful remarks on the topic here at hand. i was talking about this realistically, alot of people here go into hysterics when “proposals” are announced… the fact is… this insnt reality… it would be like me being mayor saying blah blah blah… dont see how you dont understand that tho. nice to know tho that you can come to this site and get berated for simply stating facts.

so tell me mr know it all, your royal highness, the man… tell me… who is building this stadium? who is building these condos… who the heck is putting money into this… name 1 company even… ill bet you cant… and that was the point to the post in the first place… its bs, its speculation, its heresay, its rumor, its a proposal.

its unfortunate, this site used to be a place where people can come and share their OPINIONS on the topic at hand instead of insulting people like they were 5. you sir, are a pathetic human being… you obviously dont seem to understand the basic rules of a discussion form, nope, you have to throw out little insults… like they are supposed to bother me or even add anything to the topic… talk about the topic man, what have you added? this site is a joke, its just make fun of the bombers and their fans yet… go into hysterics about some bullcrap proposal. hey man, im building a dome over the city… but hey, im not gonna tell you who’s paying for it… what the heck is the difference. seriously. how you dont understand the point of my post is just… it makes me scratch my head… you seem to think, judging by your insults that im wrong and this proposal is actually reality… its not tho, it is a proposal and there are no companies or anybody putting money into it as we speak. if there is, again, tell me… name 1 company. JUST 1.

AND NO it wasnt supposed to be a sense of unrealsitic whatever crap you talking about… its fact… anybody can come out and say… i have a proposal… thats what this mayor did… he didnt say its happening… he said its a proposal… you seem to think its really happening but fact is, not 1 shovel is in the ground, not 1 vote has taken place, not 1 company has even said they are down with it. 300 companies at the convention? cool… who’s to say they are willing to put money into a stadium… maybe they are only interested in the development of condos and whatever else is proposed. this isnt reality… this is a proposal. if you think its reality… dude… name 1 company who has pledged money for this project. you cant do it, so therefore… its a proposal.

Honestly, unless you're going "retractable," I think you're better off staying in Mosaic/Taylor Field. Take it from someone who's had to endure season after season inside a hot, stuffy, cavernous dome in the summertime; it ain't fun! Sure, it can be a good thing when the weather turns in the fall, but let's face it, the bulk of the CFL season - June (preseason), July, August, and September - is played in the warm summer months. After the shiny glow wears off 5 years in, you may start to have difficulty selling out every game, particularly if the team isn't competitive.

like a few short years ago… rider fans like to talk like they’ve sold out every game for their entire existence, fact is, when the team sucked and was struggling, you had to have community pledges and telethons to save the team. whats gonna happen in a few years when you arent as good, maybe even this year, your playoff game wasnt sold out last year so… i mean, who’s to say in a couple years that the riders dont need another telethon to save the team. money goes quick when you are losing.

...nice little hissy-fit...

...nobody (other than cflisthebest) thinks this proposal is steeped in hard reality at this point, that's how proposals work Einstein, but you don't have to play seagull and fly in here to crap all over everything just because you have some agenda against the rider org....if you're gonna play adversary to everything green be prepared to have holes shot in your argument, and if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen...

This whole deal about a redevelopment in Regina, is Fiasco's pipe dream... its not even a proposal... with no investors named, or how much they are committing, this whole thing reeks. The businesses have pledged money but how much they actually put up will be far different. I believe that the taxpayers of Regina (and maybe the province) could be on the hook for as much as 40% if not more... I don't think that even if it happens, that it could be done by 2015, maybe two or 3 years after that seems to be more realistic, but the mayor's announcement just seems to me that he is throwing out a bone to Rider fans, disappointed with the outcome of the provincial government's proposal.

Gotta do something… Regina/Sask is becoming a bigger piece of Canadian investing… Mutual fund rrsp’s reflect some of this…

What is it with people wanting to know who and how much is investing in this thing. I know at present there are REPORTEDLY 800 new housing starts planned for Calgary in the next few months. Since we don’t have any idea who the builders are or how much they are putting up, I guess it’s logical to assume that this is all B.S. I am pretty sure that 99% of businessess don’t go public with there capital expediture plans before all the Is’ are dotted and ts’ crossed. Furthermore, what business is it of the publics’ to know what there plans are? This just happens to be a major profit opportunity for whoever gets on board with the project (not neccessarily the stadium) so why should they go blowing their horn and alert other potential competitors of their intentions?

Apples and oranges. If a new housing subdivision was being planned in any city the company behind it would be known.

Even if there are companies committed to the development there is still nothing regarding where the funding for the stadium component would be coming from. Investing in the housing or commercial space aspect of the plan does not mean a company will invest a bunch of money in a stadium.

Well, that’s odd. As someone who has purchased and build on these lots, there was no way the city or any citizen had any idea that I was planning on doing such before they had approved and carried forward with the proposal. And with hundreds of registered builders in the city, they had no idea who would be stepping forward. The City just new that if you make it available, it will materialize.

no hate on for the riders organization at all... just because i call this proposal a load of total crap.. doesnt mean i hate the riders.. fact is, i dont hate the riders.. i hate the argos :stuck_out_tongue:

but seriously, why would anyone have an issue with any organization in the cfl.. im a bomber fan but bombers only play one game a week... i try to watch them all. maybe not all of the other teams but if the games on and im home, ill watch it... dont care if its the riders, the als, the stamps, the esks, lions, ticats, even the argos. ill watch it. im a fan of the cfl, want to see all teams do well, make cash, for sure... defintaely. 8 or 10 healthy cfl teams once expansion comes, that would be great. all of them making money and being competitive. that is what id like to see. No hate on for an organization i really... have no issue with at all. just because you think something is a little strange with a proposal with absolutely zero confirmed anything.. someone said "pipe dream". thats exactly what this is. But, just because i think that, doesnt mean i hate the riders organization. Jesus man... seriously. You sometimes take things way way to seriously on here.

Bombers Riders have a great rivalry... just because i sometimes call their fans names or make fun of the city.. doesnt mean i hate them, its part of the rider/bomber rivalry. Geesh.. u must vote liberal eh?

…that, suhr, is a grevious and malodius insult that if delivered on any other day than this could have earned you the caress of a cutlass rather than the scornful raised eyebrow being cast towards your particular direction…