New Special Teams Coach

Here is an interview with Reinebold
It is well worth listening to
@ just before the 11 min mark he explains how important special teams are to the Offense and the Defence

I wonder if teams, at least NFL or US College, will eventually have designated kicking coaches. It reminds me of goalie coaches. They never used to exist and now every team has one. Of all positions, kickers would probably benefit the most.

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me if they already do. The NCAA would probably have them.
The Green Bay Packers have 23 coaches and 4 Strength and Conditioning coordinators. None of them are labeled as kicking/punting coaches.

What's Bernie Ruoff up to? He could coach the kickers.

2 Likes

Golfers ,pitchers and goalies all have coaches.sometimes their mechanics are off

2 Likes

Of course the NCAA teams have about a thousand players, so they need all those coaches.

And they dont pay the players

He was with hamilton prior but went to bc in 2018 after Kent Austin wasn’t kind to him . Though he didn’t publicly name Kent it was obvious to me who he was referring to in a statement he made . Reinbold and condell came back to the ticats after Kent Austin was no longer involved with the ticats in any capacity

1 Like

“Wasn’t kind to him” is a bit of a stretch. He was a completely HORRIBLE Defensive Coordinator who fully deserved to be fired.

I know that “Kent Austin is evil” is a meme, but not in this case.

Maybe he wanted to get back to SkySports two weeks earlier by now having to coach in the Eastern Final or Grey Cup.
To me, this felt like an old girlfriend dumping me and then dating an uglier guy, with less money...two weeks later.

1 Like

How Kent went about telling reinbold wasn’t right and there was gossip about players having issues with Austin around the same time also .

2 Likes

I would have drove Austin’s cab to the airport for free.

1 Like

Or you could take him at his word. He decided to leave because he wants to work with a different set of people.
Unspoken here is that Als had aready fired Mickey Donovan or were set to. Its not a stretch to think there wasn't a nod and wink.
Jeff recently stated that he respects Khari and how his players respect him. He thinks it'll be a good fit.
Jeff has always been his own man, likes adventure. Time to move on.

That said I was shocked that Hervey ended up in Hamilton. I have no use for him. He tteats people terribly or has done so. I doubt Jeff would want to work with him.

And Jeff and other personnel reads these types of boards imo/ So if you think this forum iis an honest and decent place then you have nothing to change. If you think it should change then...

The wins didn’t bother you though did they?

1 Like

Can't believe how many people are ok with this and chalk it up to "maybe he just wanted a change of scenery".

Highly skilled CFL coaches are very sought after and you don't let them simply decline their contract and take a lateral move within the division....

...after going to back to back Grey Cups.

This is a big loss on and off the field and should bring into question what the current state is from a culture perspective.

When Steinauer and Condell left it was because Austin was a meanie but when Reinebold walks it's "oh well thanks for the memories Coach, I'll always cheer for you except when you play the Ticats"

This has the same Steinauer/Condell vibe to it. Why the double standard? Cause O gives nicer press conferences?

O now has more decision making ability and power than Austin ever did. Is anyone going to start holding him accountable?

3 Likes

But … maybe Austin really was a meanie and Coach O is not? Maybe there is no double standard because Steinhauer is much nicer to work for, and Reinebold genuinely wanted to leave?

As fans, it’s hard because we’ll never know the full story about how this sort of departure went down.

Having said that, I understand Austin’s decision to fire Reinebold as DC. We had him for one year as DC in Montreal (2012), and his defense was not great. He also did bizarre things like move Chip Cox from SAM linebacker, where he had always excelled, to the deep middle of the field, taking him away from the LOS and making him far less effective. But even when you let someone go, there is a classy way to go about it. The general account is that Austin wasn’t a nice person to work with, and if you create a toxic workplace, expect people to be unhappy and to leave if they have the opportunity.

Coach O doesn’t seem like a tyrant, but again, I don’t know because I’m not behind the scenes. All we’ll be able to do is speculate.

3 Likes

You hit the nail on the head, we dont know all of the details.

So why is Austin condemned for similar things now happening under Steinauer? It’s not about whether his assistants think he was a meanie - it’s about the fans portraying him as a meanie because of the way he spoke to a single beat reporter.

Wouldn’t Austin’s success supersede that? Shouldn’t it?

Lancaster was a jerk to media, radio hosts, officials, insulted fans that call in to radio shows… don’t see anyone questioning his approach?

Any speculation given for why Steinauer and Condell left under Austin is fair game for why Reinebold is now leaving - during what some feel is a high point in our franchise.

1 Like

[quote="Crash, post:158, topic:75845"]
Lancaster was a jerk to media, radio hosts, officials, insulted fans that call in to radio shows...

Really ??? Sources ? Sources are like "Badges" . You don't need no stinkin' badges . - An homage to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

1 Like

Being a CFL coach is not a life sentence.. He let his contract run out. Then he declined to re-up. He wanted to go to Montreal. And he did.
Austin IMO lost it. He looked like he had PTSD They humanely let him finish up and paid him to stay home.. Seems fair to me.

Lets not overthink this nor overinflate JR's record. He was very mediocre last year and has been let go numerous times in many locales. But god bless him he is a confident guy and he moved on his his own terms and never broke his contract. Management can force you to stay when there is no contract.

However how Hervey ended up as a GM in Ham is beyond me. Bull meet China shop..

2 Likes

All of these things are well known to those that were paying attention before social media. Lots of stories about giving players ultimatums, holding them hostage at contract time, etc.

My sources? many of the people on the other end of those discussions.
Why would I lie and tarnish the legacy of someone I admire and has been my avatar for the better part of 20 years?

Lancaster was no saint, you think any of those old boys were? Dave Ritchie, Wally Buono, etc.

Lets be clear - its what I respected about him. He did things his way. Much like Austin, however the double standard is quite fascinating. I guess it’s because we didnt win the big one with Austin, which is a fair criticism of course.

3 Likes