New Shaw CFL Deal

An announcement by the CFL makes Shaw a new major CFL sponsor. It will now be known as 'The Grey Cup Presented by Shaw'.

[url=http://cfl.ca/article/cfl-announces-partnership-with-shaw-communications]http://cfl.ca/article/cfl-announces-par ... unications[/url]
CALGARY – In a sweeping partnership agreement with the Canadian Football League (CFL) announced today, Shaw Communications Inc. has become the first ever presenting sponsor of the Grey Cup. This multi-year partnership names Shaw the official telecommunications partner of the CFL and includes several sponsorship components.

Shaw’s new sponsorship also includes prominent branding across CFL broadcasts on TSN and the official broadcasters of the CFL and the Grey Cup.

“Shaw, a great Canadian company, is the perfect match for the great Canadian tradition that is the Grey Cup,? said Jeffrey L. Orridge, the Commissioner of the Canadian Football League. “We all know the annual celebration of our championship game belongs to every Canadian. This partnership with Shaw will allow us to present it bigger and better than ever.?

The 103rd Grey Cup presented by Shaw, broadcast exclusively on TSN and RDS, takes place at Investors Group Field in Winnipeg on Sunday, November 29th.

Tickets will go on sale in June of 2015.
“The CFL is Canada’s premier sporting event, reaching millions from coast-to-coast every week, and this partnership will provide Shaw with a historic national platform that allows us to connect with our customers and CFL fans in a meaningful way,? said Brad Shaw, CEO of Shaw Communications Inc. “We are proud to support such a profoundly Canadian institution as the CFL and are privileged to be the first ever presenting sponsor in the Grey Cup’s storied history.?

Shaw’s presenting partnership of the Grey Cup, the largest single day sporting event in the country, will be the culmination of a year round commitment to the CFL and its millions of fans. Leading up to the Grey Cup, Shaw will also be the title partner of the Shaw Player Awards and weekly player achievement program giving fans the opportunity to recognize amazing CFL talent.

Beginning after Labour Day weekend, Shaw will partner with the CFL and CFL ON TSN on an innovative content series called Shaw Road to the Grey Cup. Featured prominently during CFL game broadcasts, the series will also be prevalent on TSN and CFL digital properties.

“We are very excited to work with Shaw in such a significant and impactful way as we cover the journey to the Grey Cup, one of the biggest annual events on TSN,? said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. “Our multi-platform broadcast partnership is the perfect match to amplify TSN’s comprehensive coverage of Canada’s greatest football celebration.?

Canadian Football League training camps open at the end of May. The regular season kicks off Thursday, June 25.

The 103rd Grey Cup presented by Shaw, broadcast exclusively on TSN and RDS, takes place at Investors Group Field in Winnipeg on Sunday, November 29th.

Impressive first deal for the Commish. To get everyone onboard like that is promising.

I think this is a great idea. In not taking it away from still being the Grey Cup - e.g. changing it to the Shaw Cup perhaps - but allowing Shaw to present it is perfectly okay with this old (traditionalist) guy.

My only concern is Shaw is not a national company. I believe they are in Alberta and BC alone. So, just like Safeway, there is not much advertising value here in Ontario for them. I would have preferred a national company - one that is accessible coast to coast - to be the presenter of the Grey Cup (someone like Timmies perhaps?).

BTW I don’t think Jeffrey Orridge would have much input on this. These types of deals take a long time to negotiate. :slight_smile:

Shaw actually is a national company. Their cable/satellite operations are more western based but they own all the Global TV Stations and a number of specialty channels across the country like Food Network, Action, HGTV, History Channel, Slice, Showcase and others.

Does this mean on Bell owned TSN during CFL games instead of just seeing ads for Bell Media network programs we might start seeing ads for programs on Shaw owned stations?

That would be a little strange.

There will be considerable cross advertising of Sports Programming between TSN and Shaw with an increase in CFL segments on both. CFL, TSN, Shaw and ESPN will be working over the next several years to develop programming formats that will be advantageous in the long run for each entity.
TSN gets advertised by Shaw and ESPN; Shaw gets advertised by TSN and ESPN and ESPN will have coverage from TSN and Shaw. CFL gets increased coverage from all three.

Rogers was interested in getting the Mountain Cable customers, which Shaw bought out from Mountain Cable, here in Hamilton, so that tells me that Shaw has some clout as from what I understand (can dig up a link but don't want to be accused from Lenny that's all I do, dig up links and have no opinion or thought :wink: ), the Mountain Cable owner chose Shaw over Rogers when he was ready to sell. Rogers wanted those customers and finally got them, at an increased price, but Shaw won out on the original deal. All history now though of course.

History is a great teacher for the future!

:thup:

by Earl » Fri May 08, 2015 6:28 pm

Rogers was interested in getting the Mountain Cable customers, which Shaw bought out from Mountain Cable, here in Hamilton, so that tells me that Shaw has some clout as from what I understand (can dig up a link but don't want to be accused from Lenny that's all I do, dig up links and have no opinion or thought :wink: ), the Mountain Cable owner chose Shaw over Rogers when he was ready to sell. Rogers wanted those customers and finally got them, at an increased price, but Shaw won out on the original deal. All history now though of course.

We also have Shaw here in the Sault. Shaw has a bigger base than most people think.

And Shaw is part of the video streaming service Showmi (a response to the inroaads Netflix i making. (Showmi is a joint venture with ...... Rogers)

I can hear it now.....

"Welcome everyone to the 103rd Grey Cup presented by Shaw..... right here on TSN." 

Then: "And now the halftime show brought to you by Chevrolet on the 103rd Grey Cup presented by Shaw right here on TSN"

I can also hear the viewers reaction: " What the heck is that about?????   Who cares anyway...I need another beer!!!! "

That is your reaction, time will tell what true viewer reaction will be

Shaw should present the wah-wah pedal too.

I view that as very positive having 2 networks in cohoots like that. On CBC NHL playoff games, I see a Rogers logo on the screen as well.

Thought this was cute:

It really is a Western company with their cable subscribers in Alberta and BC, yes they do own some specialty channels but their advertising will be directed to Western cable subscribers.
This is another example of a Western company investing in the CFL. Safeway is a major investor in the CFL but NO stores in Eastern Canada.
The fact that Shaw and Safeway are investing in the CFL tells you the obvious - the bulk of the CFL viewers are in the West.

I find it somewhat surprising that TSN (owned by Bell) did not negotiate a clause with the CFL that would prevent any major competitor to buy in with a large sponsorship.

It could prove to be somewhat embarrassing for them to be promoting or broadcasting the Grey Cup and have to mention their rival's name. Helping the enemy....

Shaw is a cable company serving Western Canada, they have to carry TSN. The CFL on TSN would be a good money maker for Shaw out west. It's like Bell and Rogers in Eastern Canada, you can get TSN on Rogers cable. Bell carries Rogers sportsnet channels and Rogers carries TSN

But Slimjim Shaw aren’t just going to advertise their cable services - which are substantially Western based - I’m assuming they get to promote all Shaw Communications products. So that will mean being able to advertise programs that appear on Shaw owned stations - stations that are DIRECT NATIONAL COMPETITORS of Bell owned station programming. Or they will get to advertise their Showmi video streaming service which is a DIRECT NATIONAL COMPETITOR to Bell Media’s CraveTV video streaming service.

That is why I do find this arrangement to be so strange.

Can you imagine watching the ‘World Series Presented by Comcast’ on the Fox network in the USA and then seeing commercials run on the Fox broadcast promoting Comcast products - which like Shaw include all their Cable TV systems - but they also own NBC. So you would have promos for an NBC program like ‘The Voice’ running on the Fox network broadcast.

That is what this is the equivalent of. Weird.

challenger: So you are waiting ( time will tell!) to respond to this this topic before you can form an opinion? :roll:

I have a personal opinion, but until the CFL and the networks develop a baseline protocol and modify it as needed during the year no one knows how the fans will respond to cross advertising. There is more cross advertising than you may realize here in the States and all parties seem satisfied. I believe the acceptance or rejection of this concept in Canada belongs to Canadians and Canadian business. It will be a work in process for a period of time. Therefore, “Time will tell”.