new Regina stadium

Seems like the Premier of Saskatchewan has found a template he likes for a new stadium in Regina:

Brad Wall helps fuel stadium speculation

[url=http://www.leaderpost.com/Sports/Brad+Wall+helps+fuel+stadium+speculation/1500963/story.html]http://www.leaderpost.com/Sports/Brad+W ... story.html[/url]

By Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
April 16, 2009

[i]Robservations ...

• The stadium saga continues. Premier Brad Wall, who was a guest on News Talk Radio's John Gormley Live on Wednesday, hinted at a possible template for a new sports and entertainment complex. The premier referred to "interesting things around the world'' before mentioning a stadium that is being built in Stockholm (Sweden, not Saskatchewan). A subsequent Google search uncovered Swedbank Arena, which is to include a retractable dome when it opens in 2011. It will bear a resemblance to the University of Phoenix Stadium.

• Of course, a Saskatchewanized facility would be a scaled-down version -- with a seating capacity in the range of 30,000 to 35,000. Ron Lancaster Place would have to include some (cue the word-of-the-day) retractable seats to enable football crowds to reach at least 45,000. Otherwise, future Grey Cups will be out of the question. The additional seating could fill in the expansive area occupied by the stage during concerts.[/i]

Here's some stuff about the facility in Sweden:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedbank_Arena,_Solna

Just can't see the Riders playing in such a place. :?

Rider Pres and CEO Jim Hopson seems down for a move:

[url=http://www.leaderpost.com/Hopson+stadium/1504086/story.html]http://www.leaderpost.com/Hopson+stadiu ... story.html[/url]

Thats nice.

Multi use Stadium...... Bring in those trade shows!

The John Deere Tractor pull! :wink:

The Finning Combine race! :wink:

Seriously though, a domed Stadium gives you so many things to host that you can't put in an out door Stadium.

It's obviously great for the CFL if teams get new or renovated stadiums, but I doubt Saskatchewan will be getting anything remotely resembling the Cardinals' stadium. All the better if they do tho :thup:

Nice, very nice. One thing about a covered/retractable roof is that it opens up more possibilities for use. Soccer and touch football and lacrosse is key and hasn't been explored as much as it should in the winter, it's all hockey arenas too much and these arenas don't lend themselves to sports like soccer and touch football and lacrosse, cheaper sports than hockey. Over-emphasis on hockey arenas in this country is not good IMHO when field sports can add so much more at a cheaper value and health benefits for more kids.

Totally agree Earl. There has to be variety beyond hockey. A retractable roof would provide year-round opportunities for many different sports - including hockey in the winter. Surely there must be a relatively inexpensive way to open the roof on a medium size stadium.

I just can't imagine sitting inside a dome on a beautiful Saskatchewan summer night. Ugh.

Paperwork's done, hopefully something about this report gets into the press soon.

Regina mayor excited to read stadium report

[url=http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Regina+mayor+excited+read+stadium+report/1621788/story.html]http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Regina+m ... story.html[/url]

By Ian Hamilton, Leader-Post
May 22, 2009 8:01 PM

[i]REGINA — Pat Fiacco has something picked out for himself to peruse during the Mayor's Mega-Minute Reading Challenge.

Regina's mayor said Friday he "can't wait" to get his hands on a report — done on behalf of the Saskatchewan government and presented to its officials on Thursday — that examines the options for a football stadium in Regina.

The possibilities mentioned previously included refurbishing Mosaic Stadium (home of, among others, the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders) or building a new stadium. A new facility could be an outdoor stadium or a dome, possibly with a retractable roof.

Not surprisingly, Fiacco is eager to see what the report suggests.

"(The process) is actually taking a step forward," he said. "It's an actual document now, a living, breathing document rather than people just talking about it. We know it's been delivered. We'll hear in the next little while what the next moves are.

"I have enough faith in the government that when it's time for them to share the information with me they will do that," the mayor added. "It's only fair that they share it among themselves first. We'll get in on it eventually."

Until then, Fiacco is in the dark as to what the province will suggest as a course of action.

"I think frankly there's a genuine interest in possibly looking at something better," he said. "What that better is we don't know, but something better."

The City of Regina, which owns Mosaic Stadium, was contemplating upgrades to the facility that would cost $120 million.

Instead of spending that kind of money and getting only a renovated stadium, the city also examined the idea of spending more — likely around $350 million — and building a new complex that would house sporting activities, concerts, cultural events and so forth.

The city would need financial support from the province, the Roughriders, the corporate community and possibly the federal government to foot the bill.

"This is no small project; this is big," Fiacco said. "That's why it's taking so much time. Using (Premier Brad Wall's) words, he believes that there could be an innovative way of funding this, which is also important."

During a conference call Thursday, Roughriders president and CEO Jim Hopson said the idea that a new stadium is even being considered reflects the strength of the province's economy during a worldwide recession.

"We're really excited," Hopson said. "We've done a lot here, you've seen the improvements in the stadium, but we're still putting on lipstick in many ways."

If the report favours the construction of a new stadium, the city would have to do more legwork. That includes finding a location; the CP railyards have been mentioned as a possibility.

"The one thing that I personally don't want — and what anybody that's part of this doesn't want — is to do what Winnipeg did and continue to make phony announcement after phony announcement," Fiacco said.

"If the announcement is going to be made, it's going to be on what the next steps are as opposed to 'We're doing it. We're not doing it. We're doing it. We're not doing.' That's really important."

ihamilton@leaderpost.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post[/i]

The kind of domed stadium that is being talked about will cost around 500 million. You probably will get something like Winnipeg is getting. You will need a private investor,like an Asper or the Feds won't contribute a cent. It would be great to have two new stadiums in the CFL. maybe a few other teams would follow.

Ottawa is for sure on a partial new, Vancouver and Montral are upgrading also, while hopefully the Hammer will get new. Which then brings us to Quebec City.

I agree Argotom that we have to get some new teams and stadiums in this league.

And Earl, why do you always talk about the Argos and Ticats folding? What in your opinion would cause them to fold,
when they;ve both been around for about 80 years plus? Just wondering.

Not trying to be picky, but 80+ years is a bit off. The Hamilton Tigers were formed in 1869 and the Argos in 1873, so both have been around for 130+ years. Anyway, i agree, all the doom and gloom scenarios is getting a little tiring.

A new Stadium in Regina is far from a done deal yet. It is still in the "discussion" stage, and given how fast things work around here, it may be a few years before you see any kind of groundbreaking ceremony.

Even though this is not a football facility, the contract for the new multiplex in Moose Jaw has been awarded, the winning bid coming in at 51.5 million. Here is a url for a gallery of the new design:

[url=http://www.discovermoosejaw.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8591&Itemid=401]http://www.discovermoosejaw.com/index.p ... Itemid=401[/url]

...hey, thats pretty cool, I'm happy Moose Jaw is getting a facility like that....

....I'm sure if Sporty read this he'd agree with me that it bears a striking resemblance to the arena in Kamloops that hosts the Blazers...the construction of that facility touched off an economy-afterburner for the Thompson-Nicola B.C. area and the people there are very proud of it....I imagine the same would be true for MJ....kudos to your city council this...

The multiplex isn’t without controversy… we have had 2 votes and court cases on this project. The last vote was 60-40 per cent in favour of it, but the big sticking point is location. Many wanted other sites chosen… but the Spa is now going to expand, a new hotel is the planning stages right across the street. Many of the old buildings(the Brunswick, Royal hotels) were torn down to make way for the new hotel.

Having lived in Moose Jaw at one time, it is exciting to see the changes happening and the progress being made. That facility will be great for them.

It is very nearly a done deal. Solid sources. 360 million, dome, likely retractable. I don’t care for the location but an announcement could happen any time…