New OC

Higgins et Worman se connaissent depuis longtemps et ont eu une bonne collaboration. Higgins a embauché son ami. Maintenant, bien que j’ai détesté l’embauche de Worman, ce que j’aime dans cette décision est que Higgins ne fait pas primer ses relations personnelles sur le bien de l’équipe. Il a vu la situation et la solution immédiate était de congédier son ami. ça témoigne d’un esprit de décision dicté par les intérêts de l’équipe avant les autres facteurs.

Espérons qu’il apprendra de cette expérience, mais ça montre au moins qu’il n’entend pas être complaisant.

Pour revenir sur la possibilité que Worman ait eu recours à des propos racistes envers les entraîneurs francophones, si c’était effectivement le cas, ce seul fait justifiait son renvoi à mon avis. À raison, personne n’aurait toléré qu’un coordonnateur fasse un commentaire désobligeant à propos de la couleur de la peau ou de la religion de quelqu’un qui oeuvre au sein de l’équipe, et un commentaire de cette nature à propos d’un entraîneur francophone procéderait exactement du même travers.

Cela dit, la reconstruction des Alouettes pourrait être plus longue que prévue.

One of Higgins problems is that he's been out of coaching for six years, that's an eternity in the CFL. Contacts dry up, change...

I cant find it now to post but Pierre Vercheval on RDS who weve come to respect had nothing but good things to say about Worman when he was hired. He was a former teammate, called him a laid back Californian, and said he would be a contrast to last year`s co-ordinators.

Yet Worman allegedly made some sort of comment to Andre Bolduc.

interesting to note that in two successive seasons, under different regimes, players have been reported holding early closed door meetings and rebelling and refusing to follow new schemes.

Terrible hires, strange player culture of entitlement? Something sure seems amiss.

I think only the most wildly optimistic among us is looking forward to the 2014 season.

Labour woes which may interrupt the season, even (gasp!) cancel it, iffy coaching staff, a rebuilding year, yadda, yadda, yadda... I think we'll be hard pressed to go 9-9.

Normally, I get excited at the beginning of football season. This year - hmmm...

I would love to be wrong, but...

Historically a football team that starts off in chaos, can't catch up the lost time. The Wetenhall's wear this one just like they did last season.

The coach the Als hired at the very last minute turned around and hired the wrong guy as OC, yet this was someone he knew well. This sounds of desperation to me, an indication the organization is unraveling. In this context, it’s easy to believe the players are concerned. They’re not the only ones, I see the Als, a once proud organization, finishing dead last in the East.

To be honest, while I hope you are dead wrong Phil, I sure won’t be shocked if you turn out to be correct.

Standings will come down to the health of the individual teams. This is a concern with the Als in particular. When your a week into camp and your QB is wearing a brace, your NI center has a partial tear, your best receiver is in rehab from multiple ligament grafts and your top Canadian has left to free agency it certainly creates concerns.

You look across the league there are question marks like on every team

Hamilton: Quarterback, Oline, DB’s
Calgary: Quarterback, Oline
Toronto: Oline, RB, DL
Ottawa: All over
Montreal: Quarterback,MLB,DL
Winnipeg: Quarterback,DB’s, Oline
Saskatchewan: Receiver, RB,DB’s, safety
Vancouver: Oline,Receivers,DB’s
Edmonton: Oline,QB,RB,DL

Now when it comes to coaching changes. Its hard to feel good about Higgins when you look at how smooth the transition has been in Edmonton and Winnipeg. In particular Edmonton where Chris Jones recruiting class on defense has changed the makeup of that team completely, he’s also brought in some of the best assistants in their areas of expertise. Contrast that to Montreal where we were late to the party and Higgins is basically working with Popp’s coaching staff while Popp looks from the sideline while working out the remainder of his contract.

Excellent éclairage sur un portrait d’ensemble, montrant que chaque équipe a ses zones d’incertitudes. :thup: :thup: :thup:

Une bonne nouvelle ce matin, Luc Brodeur-Jourdain n’a aucune déchirure, seulement un muscle étiré. Une nouvelle pas pire ce matin, le cas de Smith s’améliore de lui-même. (Pour les amateurs de La Source, j’ai lu ça dans le 'Ournal).

Il nous faudra une bonne partie de la saison pour se faire une idée valable d’où se situent les Alouettes parmi tous les changements importants qui sont survenus dans la ligue cette année. C’est une année charnière pour plusieurs équipes (Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Montréal, Ottawa), et même les Roughriders ont leur lot d’incertitudes avec les départs de Dressler et Sheets. Je crois qu’Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatchewan et Hamilton sauront tirer leur épingle du jeu et demeurer dans la course avec les Lions et les Argonauts. Pour Winnipeg, Ottawa et Montréal, ce sera une saison plus difficile.

Ce qui m’encourage un peu, c’est que les Alouettes ont un bon système défensif et des joueurs de talent à l’attaque. Reste à voir si le système offensif pourra devenir assez efficace pour rivaliser avec les autres équipes et si les unités spéciales seront des unités.

Alors autant je conçois que les Alouettes pourraient terminer en dernière place, autant je conçois qu’ils pourraient nous surprendre et se battre pour la deuxième place aussi. Les joueurs et les entraîneurs refusent de parler de reconstruction et c’est bien ainsi. Ils doivent croire en leurs capacités et ne pas traîner de doutes ni d’excuses. Mais les Alouettes sont en phase de reconstuction malgré eux (nouveau quart, nouvel entraîneur-chef, nouveau coordonnateur à l’attaque, nouveaux entraîneurs)et nous devons le considérer lorsqu’on regarde cette équipe.

If Dinwiddie was so good, why didn't the org hire him to be Oc this offseason? Fact is, no matter how dedicated and bright he is, he's completely unproven and is starting weeks behind other ocs in the league, given the timing of worman's firing.

Son sort comme coordonnateur est entièrement entre ses mains. Il n’a effectivement rien prouvé, mais il n’est pas si loin des autres, ayant été au coeur de l’établissement de la nouvelle attaque depuis le début. Ce n’est pas comme Berry l’an dernier qui n’a été impliqué qu’après le congédiement de Hawkins et la rétrogradation de Miller.

Il faut tout de même rappeler que c’est Higgins qui a choisi le coordonnateur à l’attaque, pas Popp qui n’était pas confirmé dans ses fonctions d’entraîneur-chef. Qui sait si Popp ne lui aurait pas confié l’attaque en fin de compte?

J’espère tout de même qu’on verra une relative stabilité s’installer du côté de nos entraîneurs. C’est difficile de bâtir quand les postes d’entraîneurs sont des portes tournantes.

I'm not a fan of these "work by committee" setups. Football while collaborative is very structured. Someone has to be accountable and lead with his own vision of things.

I'm not a fan of these "work by committee" setups. Football while collaborative is very structured. Someone has to be accountable and lead with his own vision of things.

Effectivement, et ce sera à lui de s’imposer, de s’ajuster et d’innover. C’est une très grosse commande pour Dinwiddie, il en est conscient mais veut tout de même passer son audition.

Sinon, qui l’équipe devrait-elle embaucher à ce temps-ci de la saison? Ce n’est pas maintenant qu’on va mettre la patte sur le prochain Trestman.

It`s the same thing with Special Teams - Higgins and his 3 amigos, none of the 3 ever having coached special teams. All other CFL teams have a dedicated special teams coach.

Reading some of you, it's all gloom and doom. The Players might as well vote against the tentative deal and let's cancel the season. The Als coaches are not all a bunch of dummies. Sure,there were mistakes and there will be more,as with all other teams. Yes, if key players,particularly the QB,are hurt it will be difficult,but the same applies to all other teams.

Be more positive and optimistic. I am!

Richard

Richard I appreciate you being positive and by nature I am usually a positive individual myself. In the past I have also found the forum too negative.

But it is very frustrating when you find the organization making constant fundamental mistakes the last 2 years. It is tough to maintain confidence.

I do agree there were,I would say, honest mistakes but there are more positive than negative with the Als; furthermore, my mind is more to the future/the current season than what did occur in the past.

Richard

The reasoning here is false. The idea that you can separate the past from an assessment of the future is ridiculous. And the whole positive-negative thing is a false dichotomy. It's not being negative to hold the organization up to scrutiny, given what transpired last season and in relation to the other teams in our division. I do find it hilarious that when someone is realistic about the team, it upsets some members, who would apparently like to exist in a lovely little echo chamber where they only hear from team cheerleaders. :wink:

It's one thing to go over the top in criticizing when the team is winning and there is on-field reason to complain. It's quite another to express legitimate concern when a team fires its OC one week into training camp and replaces him with a raw rookie, the season after one of the worst offensive showings in recent franchise history. Find me a sane fan of any team who wouldn't be concerned, given the circumstances.