New Mac study reveals extensive permanent damage in brains of CFL players

I totally agree. I used to attend Argos-Als games when I lived in T.O. prior to my retirement. I remember an event at one game in particular when Prefontaine made a flying tackle at full speed on a returner. I was roughly 30 metres away and I had a good view of the hit. It ended in a helmet to helmet that sounded like a gun shot. And they both walked away! Still, they must have had a hell of a headache after running back to the bench. There’s no way these two players didn’t have some negative results from such a head to head collision.

(1) Football is not a NEED … it is entertainment
(2) Few CFL football players are “High Paid” … many CFL players make less than do the higher-end salaried fans who buy tickets

Brain damage is only ok if you make a lot of money, even though money can't buy back the damage a collision sport causes.

Hmmm. let me think about the logistics of that logic. :-*

POSTED THIS IN ARGOFANS…

The Toronto RED Star

First off anything printed in this FAR/ALT left rag should be taken with a grain of salt.

That said,

All combat sports can cause injuries, and where and when possible every opportunity should be taken to prevent said injuries.

However, at the professional level, college level it is a LIFE CHOICE made by the adult participant.

The world is going crazy, and anything that requires an ounce of testosterone is being chastised.

I truly think that until every male is turned into a GELDING, Football, Boxing, Hockey, etc, will be attacked.

Lets make the sports safer, not neuter all men and boys.

Testosterone, only a mans thingy? :-*

Part 3
Collision Course: Concussions are ticking time bomb for former CFL players
Four players who took part in the concussion project said they would choose to end their lives prematurely if they started to experience signs of dementia.

Besides, as disturbing scientific evidence accumulates, NFL franchise values soar (Forbes says the most valuable is the Dallas Cowboys at $4.2 billion and the least valuable is the $1.5 billion Buffalo Bills) and annual revenues reach $14 billion. The league distributes $244 million to each team — $77 million more than each team’s salary cap. Local revenues are gravy. The appendage of higher education that is called college football also is a big business: The Southeastern Conference’s cable-television channel is valued at almost $5 billion. Universities, which find and develop the NFL’s players, pay their head coaches well for performing this public service: Twenty head coaches make more than $4 million a year. [b]Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh earns $9 million.[/b]
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/451034/nfl-concussions-cast-doubt-footballs-future

Money supersedes potential brain concussions and possible neurodegenerative problems later on in life. Not ground breaking information of course, we live in a money is the “be all and end all” for so much of what matters in life.

I would say the NFL and college/university football will live on, because of tradition and because of pure money.

Let’s note that it won’t be long before college players are paid openly instead of only discreetly as for decades only to have several “scandals” unfold in the NCAA when most on campus have seen and heard damn well what has been going on.

Yes, when you can pay a coach $9 mill well, doesn't take a genious to figure out that is basically a professional team. People say the CFL coaches are paid too much in relation to the average player salary, well some college teams in the US are way, way over the top on that one. What's an average full scholarship worth and sometimes an apartment thrown in for some top players and maybe a car not to mention a lot of help with passing courses? That is edging on a professional structure.

As I say, they can come out with all the studies they want but there are too many people looking to make it to the NFL for big money or even the CFL just to make some money to play a sport they love. Look at auto racing, still lots of people wanting in on that sport and one crash you can be deadzo in a second. Even a full scholarship at the college level is enough for many inner city kids with not a lot in their future to say who cares about some academic study that says my risks of some brain condition are higher. Heck, people still smoke and put themselves at higher risk for lung cancer and other serious lung conditions despite many, many studies indicating that smoking increases your risk a fair bit for developing these diseases.

This writer though thinks that the future of the NFL is in serious doubt mainly because of brain injury. I hardly doubt it myself but then, who knows, I’m certainly no expert:

Death of NFL inevitable as middle class abandons the game

All you have to do is go out to a youth football field, as I did on Sunday morning, and talk to parents and coaches.

“Just four years ago, we had so many boys signing up for football, we had five teams at this fourth-grade level,” says John Herrera, a dad, software engineer and football coach of the Wheaton Rams in the Bill George Youth Football League in the western suburbs of Chicago.

“And from five teams of fourth-graders four years ago, what do we have now? One team. Just one.”

"But it's the parents," he said. "They're worried about the brain." It is all about the brain. The brains that are injured in the game, yes, but also about how the human mind works, as the American middle class withdraws from football, a cultural trend that will cut the NFL away from American virtue.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-football-concussions-youth-kass-met-0906-20170905-column.html

It may well be that the future of football will take some kind of tackle-free form.

I'm starting to think that way as well PTBO maybe to save the game in at least some form. Don't know.

Maybe the new form will be "rugby". This sport seems to be "nicer" I guess, even girls play it. :wink: And it being part of the forerunner to gridiron football, well, maybe that's the way it will go, or go back to if you will.

Despite the fact that disgraced former Patriot Aaron Hernandez only played football until the very tender age of just 23 years old, medical researchers have found that he already had severe CTE brain damage...

Aaron Hernandez Found to Have Severe C.T.E.

Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end who committed suicide in April while serving a life sentence for murder, was found to have a severe form of C.T.E., the degenerative brain disease linked to repeated head trauma that has been found in more than 100 former N.F.L. players.

Researchers at Boston University who examined the brain determined it was “the most severe case they had ever seen in someone of Aaron’s age,?

C.T.E., or chronic traumatic encephalopathy, can be diagnosed only posthumously. Hernandez is the latest former N.F.L. player to have committed suicide and then been found to have C.T.E., joining Dave Duerson, Junior Seau, Andre Waters, Ray Easterling and Jovan Belcher, among others. Seau and Duerson shot themselves in the chest apparently so that researchers would be able to examine their brains. Hernandez was found hanging in his prison cell.

Sean, Duerson and Waters were all older than 40, while Hernandez is one of the youngest former N.F.L. players to have been found with the disease. In July, researchers at Boston University released findings that showed that they had found C.T.E. in the brains of 110 of the 111 former N.F.L. players they had examined.

Yes I saw that. Did brain damage play a role in the killing? I guess we will never know.

Yup. And it is difficult to know exactly to what extent his playing football contributed to CTE. Not a controlled study. We don't know if he hadn't played football, what his brain would have looked like.