New Look TiCat Defense!

Word coming out of the E-Camp was that Etienne Legare (DE) and Tristan Black (LB) clearly proved they are the best 2 players coming into the league. That being said, I know some peope here prefer we draft a Right Tackle. I am not one of those. I think we can get a get Canadian OL with the 9th pick, as well as sign an American RT to compete for that spot.

Here's really hoping we draft Tristan BLACK 1st overall, and Etiene Legare 3rd overall. Although I suspect with Legare being French speaking and DE being a bigger need, Marcel would prefer to draft him first.

Here's how I see the Ticat D-Fence at the start of the season, barring any further free agent signings....

RE - Brandon Guillory / Tristan Black
DT - Matt Kirk/ Jermaine Reid
DT - Darrell Adams /
LE - Etienne Legare / Mike McFadden

ROLB - Markeith Knowlton / Cameron Siskowic
MLB - Otis Floyd / Tristan Black / Siskowic
LOLB - Ray Mariuz / Auggie B.

CB - J. Bradley
DB - Ront. Robinson
S - D. Barker / S. Beveridge
DB - C. Thompson
CB - G. Tisdale

*** I'd like to see us add 1 more DT and DE with some decent size and speed. Otherwise, I think Siskowic eventually takes over for Floyd in the middle, and Black becomes the staring LOLB in a year or two. What I really liked about BLACK was that he is a really good pash rusher as well as a run stopper. Plus, it doesnt hurt that his hero growing up was "Joe Montford". If he could turn into half the player Joe was when he was a Ticat, I'd be happy.

Just my 2 cents..

HMMMM ? It seems we will draft Rottier first overall as he appears to be the best player available and we can use a big Offensive Tackle as that is a major ratio buster . It is very rare that canadians ever suceed at rush end .

We need at least 3 americans on the Dline and likely 4 if there is no Joe Montford type developed .
PASS RUSH was our weakest area last year . If we don't get MACE out of buffalo then we will most likley go with an all american front no matter who we draft at DLINE . i think we might see one of Mcyntire , or Mcfadden crack the starting DLine to go with Guillory , Adams , and hopefull MACE .

There is also no way that they will start Mariuz again at OLB as he was not strong enough or fast enough enough

I agree with having BARKER at safety and Tisdale replacing Gordon . We shall see . I also think zemaitis
out of penn state may turn some heads

HERE IS MY ROSTER AS OF NOW --Comments appreciated

RE - Brandon Guillory / Denis Haley
DT - Corey Mace / Matt Kirk/ Jermaine Reid
DT - Darrell Adams / Alan Harper
LE - Mike McFadden / Mcyntire/

ROLB - Markeith Knowlton / Cameron Siskowic
MLB - Cameron Siskowic / Auggie B.
LOLB - Otis Floyd / Ray Mariuz /

CB - J. Bradley
DB - Tisdale / Ront. Robinson
S - D. Barker / S. Beveridge
DB - C. Thompson /Tisdale
CB - A.Zematis /Gordon

There is zero chance they start 4 Canadians on defence.

Has Mace signed?

No MACE has not signed but he has been released from Buffalo which increases the likelihood
of hm coming to HAMILTON as we have his rights ...he could get picked up by another team .

if he does not sign with Hamilton they will go with a 4 man american front DLINE

Put Me In Coach wrote:

Word coming out of the E-Camp was that Etienne Legare (DE) and Tristan Black (LB) clearly proved they are the best 2 players coming into the league.
Tristan Black had a solid NCAA Division 2 career as a middle/inside linebacker at Wayne State and was pegged as a probable first round CFL draft choice going into the E-Camp. Jaime Stein of cfl.ca noted that Black did well on the field during E-Camp. A report on the ticats.ca website remarked on an impressive spin move by Black to beat two blockers during the drills. However, the one puzzling stat was his slow time of 5.03 for the 40 yard dash. It just seems odd that Matt Morencie, a 6' 2", 267 lb offensive lineman, ran a 40 time of 4.94, almost a tenth of second faster than Black. Seeing that Black's time of 4.32 for the 20 yard short shuttle was quick, one wonders whether he stumbled or pulled a muscle during his 40 yard dash. If anyone who frequents this website attended the E-Camp and saw Black's 40 yard dash, please let us know whether anything unusual occurred during his run.

I was at the E-Camp. Black had a horrendous start - I don't know if it was typical or just a blown start, but it was REALLY slow. He was getting faster throughout the rest of the length, though.

Thanks, gogogos. Any other E-Camp observations you may have about Tristan Black or the other prospects would be appreciated. Did you get a chance to see any of the one-on-one drills?

See this thread:

http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36211

The biggest difference in the Ti-Cat defence this year will be the acquisition of Greg Marshall.

Word coming out of the E-Camp was that Etienne Legare (DE) and Tristan Black (LB) [b]clearly proved they are the best 2 players coming into the league., [/b]
They've proven nothing. Bekasiak stole the show at E-camp a couple years ago.
Here's really hoping we draft Tristan BLACK 1st overall, and Etiene Legare 3rd overall. [b]Although I suspect with Legare being French speaking and DE being a bigger need, Marcel would prefer to draft him first.[/b]
Here's how I see the Ticat D-Fence at the start of the season, barring any further free agent signings....

What does being French have to do with Bellefeuille ???

While being a French Canadian player *alone is not a reason to draft a player, having a French speaking coach would make Legare's transition to the league easier. I know from my own personal experience that even though I liked all my coaches, I felt more of a bond with coaches who were of my decent and it almost felt like I played better for them. Simply put, it could be a reason why Legare or any French speaking player would want to play here, as it makes it easier for their transition.

**Also, I must concede the omission of Corey MACE from my roster. Should Mace sign with the Cats, I also would pencil him in as a starter at DT alongisde Adams.

Legare / Adams / Mace / Guillory

RE - Brandon Guillory / Denis Haley
DT - Corey Mace / Matt Kirk/ Jermaine Reid
DT - Darrell Adams / Alan Harper
LE - Mike McFadden / McIntyre/ D. Haley

SAM - Markeith Knowlton / Sasha Glavic
MLB - Cameron Siskowic / Auggie B.
WILL - Otis Floyd / Ray Mariuz /

Boundary CB - J. Bradley
Boundary HB - Tisdale / Ront. Robinson
Safety - D. Barker / S. Manning
Field HB - C. Thompson /Tisdale
Field CB - A.Zematis /Gordon

If Mace doesn’t come to the Cats I would predict an all American D-line and Mariuz starting at the WILL and Floyd at the MLB. If the Cats draft Black and/or Legare I think they will start out as backups/special teamers. If Manning can do a good job on special teams I think he could bump Beveridge out at safety. I hope Marshall can get the most out of this bunch as a defensive unit because on paper it still doesn't look that impressive, time will tell though.