New League starting in Europe

Adam Rita to Coach one of the teams

bad name as it sounds like a soccer league in europe.

NFL rules.

should be called something like European Gridiron Football League or European USA Football League.

I like the old term gridiron too, but for Europeans football is football and then described with an adjective when it's not football as all the world outside of 4 countries in the Anglosphere know it.

The question I have though is how in the world are they going to make any money?

Fans are not even allowed at the games for all the other football going on even with very high profile games, and there will be some interest in Germany for this action as there was in the past, so I don't get it and why in the world during a pandemic.

It still might do better though than the AAF, XFL 2.0, and whatever that awful XFL comes up with next.

2 Likes

Looks like Ambrosie's Global initiative could be in trouble if he was targeting Germany.

Any news on Australia changing the rules to Canadian or was that a rumour.

Sounds like it's pretty much German League with a couple of cities outside. Much like the final years of NFL Europa.

I wish them luck but if they're supposed to start in 5 months and they don't even have a schedule yet. Do they even have player's signed? Never mind the financial model of fans are not allowed in stadiums yet.

And people have questions if the CFL will star on time or play, how's this going to fly?

2 Likes

Who knows. Maybe they just fast forward to Oktoberfest and call it a year. I could use a revival along such lines this autumn.

Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy, Oy, Oy, OY! LOL!

1 Like

There are other countries to target like Italy, France, Finland. They are football lovers. The Brits only watch the NFL to get drunk.

I looked into that Aussie storyline. I couldn't find anything concrete

and thats how rumours get started :slight_smile:

How about that Rock take his investment in that XFL crap to Germany and merge with this new league? That will solve many issues right there including exporting such crap away from our shores. Then those rotten fans, unhappy with the XFL's blog offerings, could find a new message board too!

1 Like

What about the rumour that Canada will change to 4 downs American rules like the rest of the world?

1 Like

That's been going on for years.

Can't see it happening.

1 Like

It reminds me of all those Bigfoot documentaries and most of the alien ones. They having been making their rounds including even here. Next up are probably the zombies too.

1 Like

Rob Zombie like "More Human than Human"??? LOL!

1 Like

"The eight team league is divided into two four team divisions, North and South with the Berlin Thunder, Hamburg Sea Devils, Leipzig Kings and Wroclaw Panthers in the North and the Barcelona Dragons, Frankfurt Galaxy, Cologne Centurions and Stuttgart Surge in the South.

Each team will play a 10 game regular season, with the first and second rounds against teams from their own conference and against two teams from the other conference. The regular season winds up September 5 and the semifinals are scheduled for September 11-12. The championship game – ELB Bowl – is set for Sunday, September 26"

I wonder how much though it went into the name of the championship.

Perhaps it's a precursor for Redbird to partner with them next. Then the title game will be 'The People's ELB Bowl' ....nyuk nyuk nyuk :smiley:

1 Like

Go figure it's more like East and West than North and South there, but I can see why they did not go with East versus West in Europe.

How can this league call itself an European league when 6 of the 8 teans are in Germany? I don't think the GFL is happy about this.

Maybe the CFL can convince the GFL to go to a 3 down league once they have drafted players(T. Hansen) out of that league with a provision that the CFL won't draft players from the ELF

What I like is they are playing into the end of September and not some spring league .

If the goal is a truly a international league with Red Ball (s) .

They can play down some day and align with a world championship playoff games some day in October leading to a world title in November .

So if Redballs wants to align with a version of the XFL , CFL and an Asian league some day they have to get the seasons aligned for the most profit .

Over lapping the NFL's first half should not be a problem as this is not regular season games competition this is strictly playoff football with a real international flavour / viewership and sudden death single game importance .

Just idle speculation on where this could be possibly going as a possible end game not advocating for anything .

1 Like

Their season is structured as it doesn't conflict with soccer and some of the soccer venues are available at that time.

The CFL can have a working relationship but should not align their season with theirs.

The CFL should work and partner with Football Canada, U Sports, Junior Football and grassroots to grow the sport in Canada.

If the CFL moves their season, as some fans keep clamoring for, the whole football infrastructure can collapse.

The three levels need eachother to survive. They are not big enough to go it alone.

Can't worry about the NFL. They don't need Canada for their profile.

Again I am probably in the minority when it comes to keeping the tradition.

3 Likes

I probably said the same thing somewhere on the forum. :grinning:

It's me just day dreaming on what could happen .

From what I see you are far from alone .

2 Likes