New GM & HC

I dunno. Dickenson withdrew his name last year. Is this move, going into UofG, only going to amplify such feelings within the coaching ranks?

But then again, Hamilton is “a place where everybody wants to be.”

It is to weep.

How much salary would a Coach/GM make assuming they make a serious run at Kent Austin?

The New GM and Head Coach thread is here

[url=http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80021]viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80021[/url]

Doug Berry anyone ?

Excerpts from The Scratching Post:

“Team president Scott Mitchell says the organization is looking to remake the entire football operations department – the club also announced that general manager Bob O’Billovich would be giving up those duties and likely be moving into a consulting role – and determined that Cortez wasn’t the guy to lead the team going forward.”

"But the bigger problem, and the inherent irony, was that Cortez was not the man to lead the team into two other places: Guelph, and the new Pan Am Stadium. It was for that, not for his 6-12 record in his first head coaching gig, that he likely got the ticket out of town. "

“Cortez — as you get to know him, a much nicer guy than you first assume — is a football man and a fisherman. He is not, and never will be, a salesman.”

“And the CFL always needs selling at every level, especially the one that contains the main man, or at least the face, of the franchise. That’s especially true for a team coming off a two-steps-back season, heading into a season played completely on the road and just 19 months away from moving into the new home that absolutely has to be the final piece of the franchise’s long-term financial puzzle.”

“With Bob O’Billovich moving away from active general managing, Cortez was to take over a lot of that role, too, a common situation in the CFL. But that role often involves, among many other things, repeatedly explaining the obvious to the dim … namely those of us in the media. Not a Cortez strong point, to say the least.”

Given all of the above, is there anyone out there that can fill these shoes. I admit I don't know a lot about coaches, but to find someone who has to be a coach, salesman, leader, marketer, possibly GM, and be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, will be a daunting task. And.....We better get it right this time. Maybe we will end up with someone from south of the border.......college coach perhaps?

As a Head Coach, Austin was beloved by Rider players and re-embraced by a community where he had been villified since jumping to BC as a free agent. Austin is cerebral but with fire in the belly. The question mark would be if he is cut out for a GM role, but it’s not certain that the new GM and HC have to be the same person.

Austin would be a great coach and a great ambassador for the team. The only problem is I can’t think of any reason he would willingly give up his Cornell gig for the clusterXXXX that Mitchell has created in Hamilton.

Yeah, this whole salesman, marketer stuff I don’t get.

Scott Mitchell has said countless times that the team will be financially sustainable soon. Why does the team need a “face of the fanchise”, or salesman or marketer?

This is all too odd. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s something else going on that they’re not telling us.

As others have already said, just win, and everyone will be happy and people will buy tickets, merchandise, beer and hot dogs.

I was fine with Bellefeuille and with Cortez. I’m sure he would have been that much better in his 2nd year as HC. We all know how potent the offense and special teams were. To essentially wipe all that out perplexes me. I don’t think there was that much to fix, or 'move forward" as they say. (I hate that phrase)

"Doug Berry anyone ?"

Madjack, as I remember his stay in Winnipeg, he showed nothing but comtempt for the media. He was rude and short with the TSN half time interviewer during their games. He looked and sounded like a graduate from the John Huard school of tact and diplomacy.

If George Cortez was criticized for his lack of media savy, he would look skilled next to Berry.

Maybe as an OC Berry might be OK...but as a Head Coach??

This is going to be the face of your franchise???

Feel free to take him to Montreal. Likely to do as well as your last DC...