New Faces For 2009?

I am interested to know who I should be keeping an eye out for this CFL season? Who has turned heads this preseason and made your team's roster? I'll start this off:

B.C. Lions

While you won't see him this week unless disaster strikes twice, QB Travis Lulay is a player you're going to hear about, if not this year, then next year for sure. Trust Wally Buono to uncover another gem at quarterback. Despite setting passing records at Montana State and rushing for 611 yards in his senior year, I was a little skeptical. He had been on Seattle's practice roster 3 times, and played in NFL Europe. Then I read he was coming back from shoulder surgery, combined with the fact that we're pretty deep at quarterback, and let's just say that I wasn't too excited.

'Til I saw him play.

The field vision. The composure. The arm. He was completing passes left and right in the team's intra-squad scrimmage. The big test came in preseason, and Lulay passed with flyer colors. In fact, one could argue that he was our best quarterback - 14 of 21 for 227 yards and 2 touchdown passes (even though he played against 2nd and 3rd stringers in the 4th quarter of both games). Still, he marched the club all the way down the field in Calgary and narrowly missed throwing the game-tying TD on the game's final play.

How impressed were the Lions coaching staff in the 25 year-old? Well, despite a pronouncement early on that they'd only carry 3 quarterbacks and were high on Zac Champion to begin with, Wally changed his mind and is now carrying all 4 (with Lulay quietly annointed #3).

It's nice to see fresh, exciting talent in this league, especially at quarterback.

From the cats: i think DE Justin Hickman #95 will have a big year. 6’2 265 First year player out of UCLA

From The Edmonton Eskimos watch for Greg Peach

Thanks. I assume Whitlock made the Eskimos' active roster? He looked pretty incredible in the preseason, but how do you get reps playing behind Jesse Lumsden? (that was a rhetorical question, but I guess the cynic might answer "wait" :stuck_out_tongue: ).

just updating on my guy Justin Hickman, he had 4 tackles and 2 sacks in his debut Wednesday.

Pretty impressive debut for Lulay, even though it's only one game and obviously the Bombers didn't study film of him. Still, It's nice to see your "gut feeling" come to fruition and he looks like he could be some fresh QB blood for the league.

Lulay reminds me of Tommy Clements. :thup: