New Faces at Practice

Two new faces at practice today, Mike Myers #48 and Richard Karikari #49. Big difference between last years training camp and this years. All the coaches have lots of energy, especially mike nelson the defensive line coach. Looking forward to this years team.

I wondered when Karikari would show up somewhere........you guys might have your safety now.

Not that I'm complaining, but when did Myers get back into town, and when did we pick-up Karikari? No mention on the roster or transactions.
Oh well, we will now have that competition at kicker people wanted, and interesting to see what KK can do for us at safety.

I wonder why he was cut so soon by his former team? :?

Karikari was released awhile ago, before training camp was in the minds of people. He went to Toronto did he not? And I guess they didn't need him.

Matt Robichaud (#38 ), the Ticat long snapper from last year who is not currently listed on the team roster on this website, was also at practice this morning.

Cornerback Montavus Pitts (#16) is one more new player not shown on the roster on this website. He attended and survived Ticat rookie camp.

the kicker from a couple of seasons back was MARK MYERS...either someone has the name wrong or it's a different guy...

maybe someone who was at camp this morning can clarify this...

mark myers was the guy who won the game with the last second feild goal against calgary at ivor wynne was he not??

he was the guy!

It appears that Matt Robichaud has now been added to the Ticat roster on this website. Mark Myers, Richard Karikari and Montavus Pitts have yet to be added.

If it is indeed Karikari, I am very optimistic about our continuing secondary reconfiguring. If he is healthy and in form, he is an impact Canadian safety that will solidify that aspect of our D. It would also give Taaffe the option of moving Wayne Shaw back to corner and having Hitch as a backup safety / 2nd down and long LB ...

Could people confirm Karikari's spot on the roster along with the others named ASAP when it comes up on the roster page? Thanks in advance!

Oski Wee Wee,

Richard Karikari and *Mark Meyers
participated in practice this morning.

*the kicker who played for us last year.

That's a question I've been asking for awhile. Toronto traded Stokes to Montreal to get KK, and then promptly but very quietly released KK. Strange to say the least. For some reason, no sportswriter wants to touch the story, and I"ve emailed Simmons at the Sun, Cox and Matsumoto at the Star. Not a word. Almost like there's a conspiracy of silence here.

from CHML it is Mark Myers the kicker. here's the story.

Ticats sign two and cut eight
Jun, 03 2007 - 1:00 PM

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have brought in two new players and released eight others on the first full day of training camp at McMaster University.

The Cats have brought in former Alouettes safety Richard Karikari and kicker Mark Myers.

Karikari was recently released by the Argos, while Myers was with the Cats last year and booted the game-winning field goal against the Stampeders for Hamilton's first win of the season.

Players released today include former McMaster defensive back Nick Burns and Canadian receiver Ivan Birungi.

The other players cut today, all imports, are linebackers Quinton Caver and Michael Nattiel, recievers William Mayfield and Kendall Newson, defensive lineman Al Washington and defensive back Terrence Wood.

And from CFL.ca on Karikari good pick up by MArcel because I've not been a fan of Shaw.

Acquired: Signed as a free agent with the Ticats on June 3, 2007
2006: Dressed in 16 games with Montreal as a Safety...Recorded 37 defensive tackles, one quarterback sack, one fumber return, and three interceptions for 83 return yards

2005: The CFL's 2005 All-Star safety was second in the League in interceptions with nine. Karikari also tallied 43 defensive stops and forced three fumbles.

2004: Karikari played in every regular season game and in the East Division Championship... He saw a lot of action on defence in the Oct. 23 game vs Ottawa at Olympic Stadium as he made five tackles.

2003: Karikari played 12 games as a rookie and was sidelined for six with injuries... He made six special teams tackles and two defensive tackles... He did not see any playoff or Grey Cup action due to injury.
College: In 2002, Karikari was named the AUS Most Outstanding Player, a first team all-Canadian and an AUS first team All-Star on both defence and special teams... He was a nominee for the Hec Creighton Trophy, which goes to the top Canadian university player... He was also named to his conference's All-Star teams in 2000 and 2001.
Personal: Richard majored in information systems.
Defence Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
G Year Name Team TKL STT Sacks INT YDS LG TD FUM YRD LG TD
6 2003 KARIKARI, R MTL 2 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
11 2004 KARIKARI, R MTL 10 11 0 1 10 10 0 0 0 0 0
17 2005 KARIKARI, R MTL 43 4 0 9 188 81 1 0 0 0 0
18 2006 KARIKARI, R MTL 37 0 1 3 0 43 0 1 0 0 0
52 Career Totals 92 21 1 13 198 81 1 1 0 0 0

Richard Karikari was granted free agency by the Argos on February 16, the same day as Spurgeon Wynn, FYI.

http://www.argonauts.ca/Argos/Team/transactions.html

The fact it was posted on the Argos site suggests it was an open secret. I vaguely recall hearing this through the grapevine and may have commented on this on the site. Given the timing of the release, most teams in the secondary search mode were probably gearing up for their draft board calculations and willing to wait to see how the draft itself shook down before making a move.

The impact of the SMS as well provides added leverage to management in this regard. Karikari probably fell into that pool of veterans that teams felt they could afford to wait a while for the drafts on both sides of the border to shake down before making a move on him.

I'm not sure about Marcel's relationship with Karikari back in Montreal, but that may have had something to do with the hush-hush aspect of this tryout/signing. I am curious to see if he has been signed as yet. Regardless, if he is in form, I think our secondary issues are a little less onerous now.

Oski Wee Wee,

Yes, it was/is Mark Meyers. Mike Meyers, on the other hand, is currently an actor (Austin Powers, Wayne’s World, Shrek, Dr. Seuss… ).
Now, if Mark Meyers can kick like Mike Meyers can act, we have something…

The Eagle :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

I am very glad to see Matt Robichaud back, he is the CFL's best long snapper. Will really help our new kickers.

Merlin

Setta made Myers look like a PeeWee team kicker at Camp today, Myers did not look all that good to me

I like Mark But have to Agree Nick did look Better.

There is still Time for Mark to win the Job.

Who ever gets The Kicking Job Won it
That's All I Care About.

I want see People Scratch and Claw for Place
on the Team This year.. In Other Word Competition