New Defensive Co-Ordinator

I would be happy if they took a swing at Thorpe, other than that nobody sticks out in my mind.

Agreed !!! Consider the source :lol: I’m hoping that Billy McDee had tongue firmly in cheek when he posted that motley crew of losers . I mean surely to God there’s no way in Hell that anybody who knows a lick about football would seriously consider any of these mopes as our new DC. :lol: I’m sure that he was just joking around…right Billy ??? please tell us you were just joking ??? :lol:

8) Mark, I doubt many on this site, other than just a few would even know who Dickson and Dimitroff even are !! :lol:
  Some good memories of our glory years in Hamilton    <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> 

I do know that Tom Dimitroff passed away about 20 years ago however.

Ticats go Christmas shopping for new defensive coordinator
Posted on December 16, 2016 by Drew Edwards // 8 Comments

[b][i]Kent Austin has the best kind of Christmas list: one he gets to fill himself.

With the departure of Orlondo Steinauer to the Fresno State Bulldogs, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats vice president of football operations and head coach is in the market for a new defensive coordinator. He’s made a list, checked it twice and he’s gonna find out who can talk to and who he needs permission to interview.

After some tampering hijinks last off-season, the CFL passed new regulations that strictly govern how teams interested in coaches currently employed by another franchise can proceed. Luckily, one of the early front-runners is already on the Hamilton payroll.

Austin said current special teams coordinator Jeff Reinebold, who ran the defence in Montreal in 2012, will likely be the team’s sole internal candidate. Of course, moving Reinebold from one portfolio to another would also create another opening.

“I’m thinking about current staff, personalties, where we need to be philosophically,? Austin said. “He’s the best special teams coach I’ve ever been around. That doesn’t mean he’s not a candidate for the other position but we have to look at the entire puzzle.?

Among external candidates, Austin could opt for an experienced CFL coordinator currently outside the league, including former Roughriders head coach Corey Chamblin and current Queen’s defensive coordinator Greg Marshall – both former Hamilton coaches. Or he could pursue coaches currently under contract with another club but who may be looking for a change (or have it forced upon them): Montreal’s Noel Thorpe, Toronto native Mike Benevides (currently with Edmonton) or Winnipeg’s Richie Hall, who coached with Austin in Saskatchewan in 2007.

He could also hand the reins to one of the league’s up-and-comers, as he did when he hired Steinauer – who had been almost exclusively a position coach up top that point – in 2013. The name at the top of that list is likely current Edmonton defensive backs coach Barron Miles.

“I would strongly lean to experience in the CFL but it depends on the person,? Austin said. “I’ll be open to the best candidate to fit our needs.?

Steinauer is the second coordinator to leave in the Ticats in as many seasons after offensive coach Tommy Condell departed abruptly last spring. But Austin said the continuity the team has enjoyed – Steinauer, Reinebold and Condell were together for Austin’s first three seasons – is the aberration, not the departures.

“We were fortunate to have years of consistency, that’s not common,?Austin said. “It’s a volatile business, it’s transient in nature. That’s what we deal with, that’s what all teams deal with.?[/i][/b]

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/12/16/ticats-go-christmas-shopping-new-defensive-coordinator/]http://3downnation.com/2016/12/16/ticat ... ordinator/[/url]

He he he… Yeah I was just listing a bunch of names that cause folks to shudder when they hear them. Just for fun and giggles . Good times.

Is Greg Marshall (the DC, not the former HC) currently employed? He would be a good hire.

I'd be very surprise if any team permit Austin to speak to their coordinators. There just aren't any of these guys laying around to replace them. Position coaches that's more likely.

YES REINEBOLD!

[i]Johnny fully endorses Jeff Reinebold as the next Ticat defensive coordinator! :rockin:

Please, please, please make it happen! :smiley:

Reinebold for Ticat DC all the way! :thup:

As a side note, do not, repeat, absolutely do not read the following thread…[/i]

[url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76047&hilit=fire+jeff]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76047&hilit=fire+jeff[/url]

That Greg Marshall is currently the defensive coordinator at Queen’s University. His last CFL job was in Edmonton in 2013 I believe. He would be a candidate to consider.

Are you saying that we’re old???

For the young 'uns among us:
Dickson was head coach for 2 games for us in '76. Lost both.
Dimitroff managed 5 whole games in '78. He was 1-3-1.

Uh, yes, speaking as an unbiased third party, I SUPPORT REINEBOLD AS HAMILTON DC. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Austin isn't going to do this. He'll risk two units instead of one.

Beware of Als fans bearing gifts!

Looking forward with great anticipation to the next imminent Johnny threads titled

FIRE KAVIS!
FIRE CHAPPY!
FIRE THORPE!

:wink:

[i]Chappy is safe for a while. Kavis is also safe, but being watched closely :cowboy:

As far as Thorpe goes, there is this thread: :smiley: [/i]

[url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101690]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101690[/url]

My only thought in all this, ignoring the silly comments from our Alouette cousins, is that the era of "bend don't break" defence in the CFL might well be passed

With the liberal DPI rules, "bending" just results in long sustained marches, and with most CFL kickers able to reach 40 yards, it is too easy to consistently give up three points, or, after a punt, poor field position.

I hope our next guy can go with more pressure packages, tighter pass coverages, and most especially, first contact tackling. Orlondo may have been innovative and clever, but we were way too many times down by 9, 12, or 14 points and forced to play catch-up. We need a DC that preaches Steeltown football. Defence means stopping the opposition cold, not letting them bleed you white, and then hoping for the big play to turn the game in your favour.

Palmer, great post. I agree with your thoughts and I would like to add the DC must have the talent to match the scheme. Way to many missed tackles and receivers getting open. Yes the bend but don't break era may be over. The Cats need to stick to fundamentals, tackling and creating pressure up front without sending the blitz. I seriously hope Austin will find the right candidate and the talent to match the scheme.

Jeff Reinebold would be the safe bet to replace Coach O as he knows the system well and having coached both the Line Backers and Special Teams.

I have heard Corey Chamblan’s name as a possible replacement and Rich Stubler not sure of their current contracts or work agreements? Noel Thorpe might be an interesting selection from Montreal if he doesn’t remain under the new coaching and new GM Kavis Reed?

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Thorpe is under contract to Montreal for one more year as DC and assistant head coach. The team would not allow him to make a lateral move to another CFL team, especially a division rival.

If Reed ties a can to Thorpe, sure, all bets are off, but I have a very hard time seeing that happening.

Thorpe prefers a 3-4 defence and TiCats “D” is built around a very solid front 4, I can’t see that working out.