new D-coordinator

And Mike Working for that matter.

Agreed. At first glance these new coaches bring lots of coaching experience with little or no CFL experience.

But with the CFL experience of Taaffe, Working and Rust, they should be all right under such tutelage.

I Guess will have too see
This season the Ticats Can't Afford to lose .

Tickets sales are Slower then Last year.
alot fans are in a Show me state
show me this will be a winner that is

To Bring in Coaches with a lack of CFL Experience is a Huge Risk.

The Fan base be could lost if season is a bust.

79 I told you so! :roll:

Rod Rust will be our part-time defensive consultant.

If Ken "Jeepers Creepers" Peters is correct
he won't be reporting to Ivor Wynne on Monday
but likely[?] will attend Cat training camp[?]

I assumed he would be working shorter hours but
that he would be here in Hamilton on staff.

There is important work to be done right now
assessing our present players and designing
the best defensive system to suit them.

When Charlie Taaffe was hired as the Ticat head coach, he indicated that he would be working mostly with the offence and that he would give his defensive co-ordinator autonomy to operate the defence. Seeing that Ticats now have a defensive co-ordinator with no CFL experience and that Rod Rust will only be a part-time defensive consultant who might not even be coming to Hamilton until training camp starts, this may impact upon the amount of time Taaffe can spend working with the offence.

Ed O'Neil has developed defensive systems that have been very successful in NFL Europe over the past three years. The starting point this week will be for Taaffe, Gregg Butler and Mike Nelson to give the new defensive co-ordinator a crash course on the nuances of the CFL game (i.e. pre-snap motion, one yard restraining zone at line of scrimmage) before he begins setting up defensive systems for this season. Here's hoping that O'Neil is a quick study so that Taaffe can focus on rebuilding the inept Ticat offence.

Welcome to Hamilton to all of our new coaching staff.

Good luck in 2007 :slight_smile:

For years now, people have been making cracks about how the CFL recycles coaches and there has been no new blood. Well, it looks like that pattern is changing for at least one team.

All of these guys have a lot of experience, and being professionals I would rather give them the benefit of the doubt that they will be able to adjust to the CFL. There have been many coaches who’ve jumped between 4- and 3-down football, and vice-versa. That’s not an issue.

Taaffe seems to have chosen to assemble a group of people he knows and with whom he feels comfortable. For the past few years we’ve had a mish-mash of talents, and it was uncertain whether the head coach really had much choice in the matter of who his assistants would be and whether they were even on the same page with respect to the playbook. Is this situation not the more preferable one?

Sure, it’s possible things won’t work out for one or two of them, but many of us asked for a new team and that’s exactly what we’re getting, from nearly top to bottom. They’ll be dealing with the negative comments if they don’t have much success right away, but I for one am going to watch this season with an open mind.

As Lombardi said, “Some people try to find things in this game that don’t exist but football is only two things - blocking and tackling.” Even if the new guys can only teach that to our players, then they’re already ahead of the previous coaching regime.

I'm thinking Rust was the first 'you're-done-but-we'll-try-and-make-it-look-pretty' casualty under our new HC.

There's not a chance in hell Rust wasn't already fully aware of the responsibilities and requirements of the job, this isn't exactly his first gig.
Combine that with Desjardin saying
"We’re very fortunate because Ed has always been a guy that we wanted to add to our staff, but we weren’t originally able to secure his services.?

and it definatly sounds like we hired Rust then canned him because O'Neil changed his mind.

If Marshall, as a rookie coach had surrounded himself with similar experience type assistant coaches then just may be he would have still been here!

Football…is football. There isnt really that much different between the two systems. A little yes but not much.

Refering to Rust "There is important work to be done right now assessing our present players and designing the best defensive system to suit them."
Funny you would say this...how many people need to be in their office to get work done? We do have these things called...planes, cellphones, computers, internet, etc.

It took so long to sign Rod after Charlie said he was a candidate
I felt we were still pursuing or dickering with other candidates

Unfortunately Ed O'Neil made a better-late-than-never decision
and now the team asks Rod to step aside as Def. Co-ordinator.
and trys to save face by paying him as a part-time consultant.

P.S.

Ed O'Neil has no Canadian experience.

Even if you dismiss the points I made in the quote above,
doesn't it make sense for Rod to be around the office now
putting in important pre-season hours with Ed O'Neil?

Otherwise as TCTD said it will be left to Charlie and the D-coaches
to give him a crash course on the nuances of the CFL game
(i.e. pre-snap motion, one yard restraining zone on the line)
before he begins setting up defensive systems for this season.

The transition to the Canadian game is much easier to make on defence than offence. Less downs to stop them, but the schemes are the same. The box is identical to American football, and with an extra db & wr, teams combine the same inside game with American nickle pass coverages. Things like motion aren't such a big deal, as that has to do with the players' technique of defending guys who start the play at full speed. The schemes are relatively close, and the D only as to play 3 downs.

But player evaluations require watching film and attending workouts Agentzero, not talking on cel phones. If you'd rather have a coaching staff that literally 'phones it in' go cheer for somebody else. Agents work on cel phones, not coaches.

Coach Rust has a lot of knowledge and will still be a real asset. If he WAS fired, which he wasn't, he wouldn't still be welcome. Clearly they still want him around and the decision must have been about his health or something similar.

The fact is that last year Hamilton's staff reported about two days before training camp. This year, several other teams' staffs have not even been fully hired yet, and our coaches will be reporting to the Hammer tomorrow.

But player evaluations require watching film and attending workouts Agentzero, not talking on cel phones. If you'd rather have a coaching staff that literally 'phones it in' go cheer for somebody else. Agents work on cel phones, not coaches.
Maybe not the full time coaches but an advisor can. With Rusts possible health issue it is this simple...he wont be here to begin with. He maybe here for the evaluation and he will be here for training camp and throughout the season.
The fact is that last year Hamilton's staff reported about two days before training camp. This year, several other teams' staffs have not even been fully hired yet, and our coaches will be reporting to the Hammer tomorrow.
This is an asset that for some reason no matter who states it does not get emphasized enough!

Just so that we're clear, Al Bundy scored 4 touchdowns in a game at Polk High, and was on FOX, not NBC.

When did we score 4 touchdowns in a game last year?

Ed looks like a great fit he said he likes the blue collar hard work ethic of our city. Ed also mentioned he likes the tradition of our D that being steeltown tough bend but don't break. His resume looks good with a PROVEN track record in NFL Europe :thup:

Hmm… did we even score 4 touchdowns ALL SEASON?? :lol:

(ty pex) As Lombardi said, "Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things - blocking and tackling." Even if the new guys can only teach that to our players, then they're already ahead of the previous coaching regime.
______________________________________________You're quite right with this assertion, ty pex. The last time I checked on both sides of the border, the game of football was essentially about blocking and tackling, but to these, we could add other quality traits such as team leadership, playing with lots of heart, unselfishness, speed, etc. Your theory through all of these additions, is still the essential part of the game in terms of coaching successfully. All of these assets are contingent on team talent from front office to trainer and the type of raport a given team has, but mainly, it is contingent on the players to play!

Well, so now you want to start a trivia test and get this thread off track …

If you count interceptions we scored four in Montreal last July 20th, and one two point conversion to Yeast as well…
I have tried to forget that loss with 11 seconds to go, like so many others…

Here’s the short summary

Thursday Jul. 20, 2006
FIRST QUARTER
HAM – J. MAAS Run (2 yds) - Touchdown (7:01)
HAM – M. ECHOLS Interception Return (94 yds) - Touchdown (11:40)
THIRD QUARTER
HAM – J. GOSS Interception Return (53 yds) - Touchdown (0:35)
FOURTH QUARTER
HAM – J. MAAS Completed Pass to B. RALPH (26 yds) - Touchdown (10:19)

Oskee wee wee