new CFL fan

I need some help understanding all the rules. How do you score 1 point and why are there so many safeties. Also what is a major, is that just another way to refer to a touchdown. Thanks.

You score a single when the receiving team fails to get the ball out of the end zone on a Punt or a missed field goal. The point is awarded whether or not the player is tackled or concedes the single or if the kick sails out of play.

A major is a Touchdown.

There were 3 safeties conceded by the riders tonight. Its more than want usually happens but that is just the way it goes.

The reason there are so many safeties is because teams (especially when they are pinned inside their own 10 yard line) would rather give up 2 points and kick-off from the 35 yard line than punt from their own endzone and give up very good field position.

Safeties are conceded when a team wants to improve their field position. After one team concedes a safety, the other team gets the ball from their own 35 yard line, whereas punting the ball out of the endzone will usually result in the opponent starting their drive inside your 40 yard line.

EDIT: Looks like roughyfan beat me to it.

The team that scores the safety has the choice of starting at their 35 or having the conceding team kickoff from their own 35.

Actually there is a third option.

If you concede the safety
I can start from my 35
You can kick from your 35

Here is the strange one.
I can kick the ball from my own 35. Why I would want to do that is beyond me.....but I could. :?

I can kick the ball from my own 35. Why I would want to do that is beyond me.....but I could. Confused
I've seen that play a few times. I think it was more of a factor decades ago. A couple of years back in Regina I saw that done. The Riders had a fairly big lead and the other team just scored. They elected to kickoff the ball back to the other team to pin them deep in their zone and facing a stiff breeze. The other team couldn't move the ball and were forced to punt near their goalline and Sask ended up gaining yardage in the exchange...and won the game.

I'm not sure I care for some of the scoring in the CFL. Montreal missed a FG, but they still received one point because the ball passed through the end of the end zone. I realize it's only one point, but still, it just seems like they're giving points away.

i agree with this guy i e-mailed the cfl about this years ago they should not award a point for this. Only if the player gives up a point for field position what a bs way to win a game. The cfl told me to get bent

I'm impressed they responded at all - even if it was a less than flattering response!

ery shallow, only considering the score and no other factors.
I disagree with you guys. The rouge serves three important uses.
  1. Rewards the kicking team for getting good enough field position to kick it through the end zone.

2. Puts the receiving in good field position, the 35 yard line.

3. Creates a beautiful balance between rewarding the kicking team with a point and giving the receiving team a great chance to score.

I cringe when there is a 'touchback' in American football and the team is awarded 20 yards for free! Giving away 35 would be even more absurd!

Thumbs up to the Rouge! :thup:

I think giving the one point is a good idea, it adds a demention to the game. For example, if u just scored a touchdown late in teh game, and ur up by 1 before the Point after attempt, do you go for 2, to make it a 3 point ball game? but if u miss, then all the other teams needs is to kick it through the endzone to tie the game.

I totally agree with TIMH and Gotts. I'd also like to point out that these rules are far from lazy after thoughts. They have been part of the game for close to 150 years. They have been debated and, and as shown in this thread, misunderstood by many.

Fortunately, the rouge (or single point) is still there because it makes sense given the length of the Canadian field (150 yards including end zones). It would make no sense on the postage stamp NFL field, where the goal posts are also at the back of the minuscule end zone.

Removing the rouge would also drastically reduce one of the great plays in canadian football, the returned missed field goal. It would become as rare as it is in the NFL. It is one of the plays that makes the CFL so exciting. In fact one of the most famous plays in Grey Cup history was a returned missed field goal for a touchdown, thanks to the rouge (and Gizmo Williams).

I should add that I am not a huge fan of safeties. I think they are sometimes overused. I guess they helped the 'riders win but still it's kind of a chicken sh!t play if you ask me. I remember many many years ago an Eskimos game where Tom Wilkinson conceded three safeties in a row or something. It was pretty pathetic lol. They are a part of the game though so they're there to be used if needed.

You are giving away your age if you can remember the Riders having such a big lead.............

Anyway, I don't personally recall ever seeing option 3 used. And it is the scoring teams option....
But, there are two reasons to use option 3 that I can think of.
1). If time is running out, and you have a significant lead, if you let the other team kick, they can try a short kick, they recover the ball and theoretically score.
2). Again, with time a factor, if you are losing the game, by kicking off, your team can try a short kick, recover, score, and hopefully win the game.

I think I have the logistics correct...but I have been celebrating (drinking) the big win tnight.....I'm sure the rule makes sense though, ro.....

Clear as mud! Thanks coach Arius! Welcome to the CFL new poster!

Question:

Weren't CFL endzones at one time 25 yards deep?, making it a little harder to kick through the endzone?, and a little harder to earn that point?

I'd like to see the rule altered a bit:

If the kick falls within the endzone and the recieving player either chooses to take a knee or trys to bring it out and fails then the kicking team gets the point.

If the kick sails through the endzone, not giving the recieving team a fair chance at bringing it out, then no point awarded and the recieving team starts their series at the 25 Y/L instead of the 35.

My thinking on this is simply that even though the CFL awards for good field position, it is very anticlimactic to see a tie game decided by a kick where the kicker may not have the accuracy for the distance, but knows he has the leg to get it through the 20 yard endzone thus not giving the defending team a fair chance at bringing it out.

The reason the endzone are smaller is because when the US teams came into the league, the could not fit a 160 yard field into their stadiums and were allowed smaller endzones. I don't know if this is the reason the Canadian teams changed but it happened around the same time.

Saying the single is a reward for allowed the offence into you zone is ridiculous and was only mentioned by one person who had many crazy ideas.

The reason the endzone are smaller is because when the US teams came into the league, the could not fit a 160 yard field into their stadiums and were allowed smaller endzones. I don't know if this is the reason the Canadian teams changed but it happened around the same time.
That is not true. The endzones are 20 yards because the people who built BC Place made a mistake by only making a field large enough for a 20 yard endzone.
I'd like to see the rule altered a bit:

If the kick falls within the endzone and the recieving player either chooses to take a knee or trys to bring it out and fails then the kicking team gets the point.

If the kick sails through the endzone, not giving the recieving team a fair chance at bringing it out, then no point awarded and the recieving team starts their series at the 25 Y/L instead of the 35.

My thinking on this is simply that even though the CFL awards for good field position, it is very anticlimactic to see a tie game decided by a kick where the kicker may not have the accuracy for the distance, but knows he has the leg to get it through the 20 yard endzone thus not giving the defending team a fair chance at bringing it out.

Although your rule seems to me way too complicated for the casual fan to keep track of, I do agree with you that a 'game winning rouge' can be a little lame. Besides that, it definately has its place.

I totally agree with you that the rouge has it's place and I know the rule will never be changed, I'm just stating my opinion is all.

The whole thing of the ball sailing through the zone without any chance to bring it out has always just irked me. Nothing major..and I'm not going to stop loving the CFL (or the Rouge), just gettin it off my chest. :thup:

It's not all THAT often that a rouge wins a game. Really for that to happen it would have to be the very last play of the game. There are many opportunities throughout a game for a team to counter a single point, and if they can't do it then they lost the game because they couldn't score one point, not because a rouge took a win from them.

How much of a difference did the rouge make in the recent tie between the Esks and Bombers? Neither team could manage even a single on their last possession. The rouge has it's place but it's rarely a game-breaking play.

I say they should go back to the 25yr endzones, screw BC place!