New Argos Owner 'The NFL is coming to Toronto - eventually'

Oh those poor Argos. Not only does their big day announcing their move to BMO and new ownership get totally swamped and overshadowed by the Babcock signing - it gets worse.

Two days later and of their new owners talks about the NFL coming to Toronto. What is Tanenbaum thinking?

[url=http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/05/21/argos-boss-tanenbaum-says-the-nfl-is-coming-to-toronto-eventually.html]http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/201 ... ually.html[/url]
[b]Argos boss Tanenbaum says the NFL is coming to Toronto … eventually Sports industry moguls agree the NFL will colonize Canada in the future, but must deal with Los Angeles first. [/b] Earlier this week Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Chairman Larry Tanenbaum formed part of a group that purchased the Toronto Argonauts, and Thursday morning he spoke to local financial professionals about his optimism for the future of pro football in Toronto. Four-down pro football. The kind they play in the NFL, which Tanenbaum vows will place a franchise in Toronto eventually. That’s unusual talk from a sport executive who just invested heavily in the CFL’s flagship franchise, but when asked to envision Canada’s pro sports landscape in the future Tannenbaum said his outlook includes the NFL. “The timing is totally up in the air,? Tanenbaum said. “They see Canada as an obvious choice for an NFL team.?

Since the Bills aren't likely to move any time soon with their new owner, this begs the question: Do the Bills hold territorial rights to Toronto and can they block a Toronto franchise in the NFL just like the Sabres and Leafs have blocked an NHL team in Hamilton?

(Karma never, ever sleeps, if they do).

I hope Larry has 2 Billion in his bank account to throw around, because an NFL franchise alone is 1 billion, add in at least a 75,000 plus seat stadium and costs of running the team easily an extra billion. The new stadium in Atlanta for the Falcons is estimated at a billion alone.

Larry's net worth is just over a billion. But, chances are Rogers will also be along for the financial ride. As of 2013, they were at 7.5 billion.

Seems like a good investment though. Look at SkyDome. It took a whole 10 or 15 years before it was considered an obsolete relic and sold for 5% of what it cost to build.

Actually I believe that the NFL does not allow corporate ownership of franchises, so he better make some money off of the blew team to afford the NFL expansion fee. :wink:

Technically a corporate entity can own a portion of them . Just the majority single owner has to own the largest percentage.

That was the flaw in Bon Jovis Bid. His networth was around 400 mil or something so Rogers could only put in 350 mil and you're only allowed to borrow 200 mil. And Pegula out bid them.

EDIT: Here is the explanation

[b]The Post's Josh Kosman and Lois Weiss reported the Toronto-based group that includes Larry Tanenbaum (the Maple Leafs chairman) and Edward Rogers (Rogers Communications' chairman) "parted ways(s)" with Bon Jovi and "believe they are in a stronger position to win the Bills auction" without the New Jersey rocker.

Here's the reason why:

"As the lead bidder, Bon Jovi would have been the principal owner and therefore, under NFL rules, would have to put up 30 percent of the purchase price. With Bon Jovi’s net worth at roughly $300 million, according to sources, the group’s highest bid would have been capped at about $1.1 billion."
Translation: Bon Jovi is rich, but not "leading owner of an NFL team" rich. With Sabres owner Terry Pegula's ability to bid higher than $1.1 million, Bon Jovi was holding back the Toronto group.[/b]

[url=http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/09/jon_bon_jovi_reportedly_dumped_by_toronto_group_bidding_on_bills.html]http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014 ... bills.html[/url]

Thanks for the explanation. :thup:

I didn't see, or hear, anywhere in his NFL comment that Tanenbaum sees himself as an owner, or part owner, of the big league franchise that he predicts will "eventually" be awarded to Trawna. Whether he does, or doesn't you've got to wonder what, combined with that belief, would make him see buying the 'blows, at this time, as a good investment. The only answer to that, which I can imagine, is that "eventually," in his mind, is many years in the future.

Hold on a sec everyone......

The Rogers experiment was a complete disaster and you can be sure the NFL is well aware of that. 

In addition, the last comments about this issue I heard from Roger Goodell were about the number of US cities that were in the line-up for any new franchises. Toronto was not one of them.
And, as has already been mentioned here, Buffalo may not be too keen on the idea either. I'll bet the deal between the new Bills owner and the NFL, has something in it to protect his billion dollar investment.

So when Tannenbaum predicts "eventually"......my guess is that it won't be in the next 20 years. By that time I'll be dead and buried.

nah the NFL needs the CFL to survive. otherwise it will open itself up to lawsuits when they don't allow a player to play football.

and they would much rather have a league in Canada than a competing league in the US ( although the NFL is as close to untouchable as a league can get)

Thank you, :thup:

The National Felon League will never ever ever ever expand into Toronto, unless the league wants a big egg in its face :smiley:

Larry is just making football conversation which is a good thing, a very good thing.

I think Larry might be trying to sell it as “The Argos will lead us to the promised land of an NFL franchise” I for one hope he doesn’t go that route, because Toronto isn’t going to get an NFL team any time soon unless you have someone willing to drop 2 Billion of his own money to make it happen.

There are two chances of Toronto getting an NFL team... Slim and none, and Slim just walked out the door.

According to the latest article in the post, "buying the Argos might move the city closer to obtaining an NFL team"

While it’s far from certain that the move to BMO Field will create the fan interest in the Argos that has failed to materialize under successive owners, the new group has committed a lot of money to take a shot at it. Bell, in particular, should be particularly motivated to keep the Argos afloat, since a stronger Toronto franchise brings more value to the CFL’s media rights, which Bell holds.

Which means that someone — and have I mentioned that we’re speculating here? — who was, say, the owner of the CFL franchise could take a run at the NFL with little fear that success in that drive would imperil the Argos. That the NFL would be a major asset to a broadcaster is obvious in a world where live sports rights have ever-increasing value; the notion that Tanenbaum could partner now with Bell, instead of with Rogers, Bell’s MLSE corporate frenemies, in an NFL play just makes the prospect all that more juicy.

[url=http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nfl/how-buying-the-toronto-argos-might-move-the-city-closer-to-obtaining-an-nfl-team-if-not-the-buffalo-bills]http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nfl ... falo-bills[/url]

Good grief...how can anyone take that National Post article seriously?

There are so many longshot "ifs" I got lost trying to follow the scenario. And the speculation makes what we write here on this forum, look like they have the certainty we associate with predictions from the Bank of Canada. :lol:

I thank Larry Tannenbaum and Bell for providing some stable ownership for the CFL in Toronto....but offer this advice from the peanut gallery. Instead of talking about the NFL the day after you bought a CFL team...why not join the rest of us and praise the merits of CFL Football and how it is a much more exciting game to watch overall than the NFL? It's part of CANADIAN sports history! Let Rogers continue with the NFL envy.

So good luck in Toronto Mr Tannenbaum and Bell. And remember that 40 miles down the QEW, there is a football team that will cause you many sleepless nights. Oski-Wee-Wee!!!!!

Actually I thought the article was a good read.

Well since Toronto is nicknamed Hogtown maybe they can call the team the Pigs.....as in when Pigs can fly,cause that's about as much of a chance that they have of ever getting an NFL Franchise. :roll: :stuck_out_tongue:

Prototype Logo and Helmet decal of the NFL's newest franchise the Toronto Flying Pigs !!! :lol:

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002785893/402673321_flyingpig_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

speculate[/
[spek-yuh-leyt]

verb (used without object), speculated, speculating.
to engage in thought or reflection; meditate (often followed by on, upon, or a clause).
to indulge in conjectural thought.

to engage in any business transaction involving considerable risk or the chance of large gains, especially to buy and sell commodities, stocks, etc., in the expectation of a quick or very large profit.

conjecture
[kuh n-jek-cher]

noun
the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.
an opinion or theory so formed or expressed; guess; speculation.
Obsolete. the interpretation of signs or omens.
verb (used with object), conjectured, conjecturing.
to conclude or suppose from grounds or evidence insufficient to ensure reliability