NCAA in Canada. Maybe

The NCAA Div2 has voted 258-9 in favour of allowing Canadian schools to apply for NCAA status, with play begining in the 2009-10 season and being able to play for the national championship in the 2010-11 season. Schools have untill June 1st to submit their applications.

Both UBC and SFU are expected to apply. If excepted they would play in either the GNAC conference or the PacWest.

I think this would be great for Canadian sports, it would allow us to keep some of our home grown talent here to develop. They would be able to compete against a higher caliber of athlete than the CIS has to offer. Scholarships are also I big issue, I dont know the current CIS rules but I do know the scholarships they have to offer are very very small. NCAA status would alow the schools to offer much more lucrative athletic scholarships which would help these kids to be able to afford to stay in Canada and recieve a Canadian education.

What does everyone else think?

Players will still leave if they can get Div. 1 scholarships at bigger schools I think.

I have mixed emotions on this. On the one hand it's excellent for those schools that want this opportunity and retain kids that want to play the American game. But will this lead to the Canadian game going the way of the dodo bird if more and more schools opt to participate? I don't know. And what about the Vanier Cup? I assume schools that do choose to participate in the NCAA won't be eligible for the Vanier or any other CIS championship game.

I guess I have to many Maple Leafs tatooed to me. I don't like it. Canadian Univerisities becoming "Americanized". Now they'll be playing American rules football. I can hear the Paul Godfreys in Vancouver getting their hands all sweatty about an NFL franchise to Vancouver. :frowning: :frowning:

Maybe it will be a wakeup call for CIS to start allowing Scholorships.

(Sporty now stands up, puts his right hand over his heart, and starts to sing the Canadian National Anthem!) :lol: :lol:

bleh, we need to promote CIS football, the CIS shouldn't allow this. this is dumb.

What makes it dumb? This is a pilot project (see my thread for the related news articles)- The fact is that more kids will have the oportunity to get a post secondary education and more money will go to the participating schools. This will create better sports programs - keeping Canadian talent here as apposed to going south to a Div II school.... The increase revenue to the University will also for more $$$ to be spent on academic progams.
It's a win win...

I have to agree with Sporty on this one. If our schools start going south, what's going to happen to our game? These kids are going to be playing American rules and will probably be more likely to try out for the NFL instead of the CFL. My opinion, anyway.

I say keep the CIS. Earl mentioned the Vanier Cup. Is the BCS title going to become more important to Canadian schools than the Vanier Cup?

You have to also remember that this goes far beyond football (I know, tough for some in this crowd to imagine) - Track, gymnastics, volleyball, baseball, soccer, etc....
That's why - if you read what was said by the 3 Ontario schools involved - they want to see if it ia an all or nothing deal.... meaning... we enter for football and not baseball... etc.
Now as far as CIS football is concerned - yes this could be a serious issue as kids turn to schools who will offer a full ride. But hmmm would that mean the end of 3 down ball? I don't think so....

http://www.thestar.com/article/294075

Non-imports, Non-issue.

These kids are going to be playing American rules and will probably be more likely to try out for the NFL instead of the CFL.
Are you kidding. I don't care if a kid is Canadian or American or if they played NCAA or CIS anyone with a shot at an NFL contract would jump at the financial opportunity. We are also talking about Div2 how many high NFL drafts come from Div2, not many.

I think this would only help the CFL, these kids are going to come out of school with a higher skill level due to playing against higher caliber athletes.

These kids get to stay at home and get a Canadian education and it will bring more $$$ to our education system.

How would it help the CFL if they're playing American rules? And what does that say about the CIS if you think the kids in the States are "higher caliber" athletes? Seems the CFL isn't the only league that has to put up with this attitude... :expressionless:

What diffence does it make if they are playing American rules? How many U.S. players come up here each year never having played 3 down football in their lives and they seem to adjust. Just as you have CIS players who play 3 down football who are not good enough to make a CFL team.

Wouldn't you rather a Canadian guy stayed home in Canada to play rather than going South if he wants to play NCAA?

Don't you think it would be easier for CFL teams to scout these players if they are playing closer to home?

So we should add more? :expressionless:

Yes, I would. And while he’s playing in Canada he can play by Canadian rules.

Yes, I do. And they can scout these players while they’re playing by Canadian rules.

Unless there’s a significant number of Canadian kids crossing the border to play football, I don’t see why there’s any need to join the NCAA…

I agree!

Perhaps the Federal Government can cut off funding, then they'll come back to CIS.

Another Maple Leaf tatoo please! :wink:

Cut off funding for what? The schools?
Isn'that like killing a fly by dropping a nuke on it?
The CIS is a sport body not an academic one.

Besides I would like to think that each school would be able to chose what sport it wants to include in the project. That way CIS football remains intact and the schools are free to improve the track, basketball and other programs as they see fit.

Basically the CIS and NCAA operate the same way with the exception of the scholarships..
This really has absolutely nothing to do with the schools wanting to become American or Americanization of football.

This is about schools wanting to offer scholarships to prevent the best athletes from leaving this country.

The only real exception with student athletes would be hockey players - and gues what... the CHL offers financial support for those Major Junior grads who choose to enter a Canadian school. Anyone else who wants their education paid for has to go south...

MAN ITS A GOOD IDEA CANADA HAS A DRAW OF 32 MILLION PEOPLE AND IF ONE UNIVERSITY GOULD RECRUIT DECENT IN 5 YEARS U MAY HAVE A BCS TITLE CONTENDER......TO BE HONEST I THINK THE CIS AND CFL HAVE CHANGE TOO THE AMERICAN WAY AFTER THIS.....MARCHING BANDS AND COLLEGE GAME DAY COMEING TO CANADA ITS INTERESTING IN A GLOBAL MARKET AND WHAT HYPE AND MONEY WILL DO

sandusky, are you trying to make Canada into a US state? Hmmmm... that might not go over well here, a lot of Canadians like to say we're different than Americans and Canada should never be like the US, well, except in the goodies they can have in their life of course! :wink:

you can keep it,
We prefer real football to hype

CANADIAN SCHOOLS ARE TRYING TO GET IT YALL ARE COMING TO US TO BE HONEST

I prefer the Canadian school system.....
We can find ourselves on a map

lol, no doubt about that ro!