NCAA Football 2022 Bowl Games Schedule

Monday Dec 19 has Marshall versus U Conn . in the Myrtle Beach Bowl . U Conn. 14 Malcolm Bell DB 6-2 178 Fr Montreal, QC. 56 Carter Hooper DL 6-5 245 Fr Toronto, ON 67 Christopher Fortin OL 6-4 302 Soph St-Rene, QC 85 Russell Dixon TE 6-3 224 Soph Edmonton, AB 16 Kevens Clercius WR 6-2 208 Soph Montreal, QC
2:30 p.m.
ESPN
Brooks Stadium in Conway, South Carolina
[/quote]

1 Like

Tuesday Dec. 20 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
Eastern Michigan vs. San Jose State * East. Mich. 62 Sidy Sow OL 6-5 326 Sr Bromont, QC 74 Jez Janvier OL 6-5 311 Soph Montreal, QC
3:30 p.m.
ESPN
Albertsons Stadium in Boise, Idaho

Boca Raton Bowl
Liberty vs. Toledo * Liberty 79 John Kourtis OL 6-5 320 Jr Toronto, ON * Toledo 17 Ezechiel Tieide WR 6-2 202 Sr Lachine, QC
7:30 p.m.
ESPN
FAU Stadium

2 Likes

Wednesday, Dec. 21

New Orleans Bowl
South Alabama vs. Western Kentucky * South Alab. Schlachter, Caeleb 85 WR 6030 200 FR Clearwater Academy Kelowna, B.C., Canada Bonhomme, D.K. 21 OLB 6020 237 JR/TR Clearwater Academy Ottawa, Ontario, Canada States-Jones, Tremel 23 DB 6000 195 FR Clearwater Academy Surrey, B.C., Canada
9 p.m. ** TiCat Neg List West Kentucky Austin QB Western Kentucky SLOVIS
ESPN
*Caesars Superdome in New Orleans

2 Likes

NEW ORLEANS ā€“ Led by its electric offense and dominant defense, WKU defeated South Alabama, 44-23, to win the 2022 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl Championship Wednesday night at the iconic Caesars Supderdome.

The Hilltoppers put up 677 yards of total offense on the night, including 522 yards passing. Those 522 yards set a New Orleans Bowl record, marking the best passing display the bowl game has ever seen.

Of those 522 passing yards, 497 belonged to quarterback Austin Reed. That mark set the individual record for passing yards in the New Orleans Bowl, and led to him being named the bowl game's Most Valuable Player. It was also the most passing yards a Hilltopper quarterback has ever thrown for in a bowl game,
Reed is on the Cat neg list . 16 Austin Reed QB 6-2 230 Sr St. Augustine, FL

2 Likes

Look out Bo! Actually a performance like that probably puts Reed on the NFL radar if he wasnā€™t already.

Thanks for the update Pat.

2 Likes

Didn't see the game but, intrigued by PatLynch's comments, I certainly enjoyed watching the highlights:

Reed was really impressive, as were the varied plays of his WKU offence.

3 Likes

That looked like a CFL offence and Austin Reed will get some NFL looks . The guy can throw accurately as well as run . :+1: :+1: :+1: Thanks for the video ottawacat .

2 Likes

Sadly, I've discovered a "neg"ative regarding that impressive QB, Austin Reed.
Before he transferred to Western Kentucky, he led another team, the Western Florida Argonauts (Yes, that's their name) to a Division II National Championship in 2019, throwing that season for 4,089 yards and 40 touchdowns and rushing for an additional six.

1 Like

Well that's a non- starter . :laughing:

Saturday, Dec. 24

Hawai'i Bowl
Middle Tennessee State vs. San Diego State * San Diego St. 90 Daniel Okpoko DL 6-5 255 Sr Saskatoon, SK
8 p.m.
ESPN
Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex in Honolulu, Hawai'i

Thatā€™s OK. Weā€™ve converted many Argonauts into prolific Tiger-Cats. :wink:

1 Like

So I don't follow U.S. college ball even a little bit, but I just saw this article on everyone's favourite website: Star Canadian RB Chase Brown opts out of Illinois' bowl game, declares for 2023 NFL Draft - 3DownNation

Two questions:

1. What kind of player "opts out" of his team's final game after playing a key role all season?
  2. Why would anyone draft him after he demonstrates such a lack of character? It seems like this decision should move him to the bottom of everyone's list. Unless this is more common than I realize.
1 Like

This is a common occurrence in the NCAA . Coaches do it regularly . Liberty had a bowl game but Austin was not there . He followed Hugh Freeze to Auburn at the seasonā€™s end . Players that are entering the draft donā€™t want to risk injury which could damage their combine and draft status .

1 Like

Common or not, I think itā€™s ridiculous. Imagine if this kind of thinking were to spread deeper:

• I am opting out of special teams because it does not offer me highlight film
  • I am opting out of blocking for teammates because I canā€™t risk injuring myself
  • I am opting out of handing off the ball like coach told me to because Iā€™d prefer to have another passing TD on my stat sheet

This bowl game could be the biggest game of their lives for teammates who wonā€™t go pro, or who hope to put their own best foot forward to impress the scouts.

1 Like

I understand the reasoning as Pat laid out, and it seems to be getting more common in the last few years. It could also backfire on him - a big performance in a bowl game can sometimes make a player a legend and boost their draft status. If it was a high profile game like the Sugar or Rose Bowl I doubt he and his brother would opt out. Not sure where you could peg the ReliaQuest Bowl on the scale of the others?

1 Like

Hall of Fame player Deion Sanders followed a similar path this year . He served as the head football coach at Jackson State University from 2020 to 2022, leading the team to two consecutive Celebration Bowl appearances and the first undefeated regular season in school history. Near the end of the 2022 season, Sanders was named the head football coach at Colorado. North Carolina Central defeated previously undefeated Jackson State 41-34 in overtime to win the 2022 Celebration Bowl.

It happens a ton in college bowl games. Cincinnati played Louisville last week and each team had several key players opt out. Alabama QB and likely #1 overall NFL draft pick Bryce Young made huge news when he announced he was not opting out of Alabamaā€™s bowl game as most people expected he would.

2 Likes

Tuesday, Dec. 27

Camellia Bowl
Buffalo vs. Georgia Southern * Buffalo 69 Gabe Wallace OL 6-6 337 Sr Salmon Arm, BC 94 Anthony Venneri K 6-0 225 Fr Hamilton, ON
12 p.m.
ESPN
Cramton Bowl in Montgomery, Alabama

Guaranteed Rate Bowl
Oklahoma State vs. Wisconsin * Okla St. 77 Tyrone Webber OL 6-3 285 Jr St. Catharine's, ON
10:15 p.m.
ESPN
Chase Field in

1 Like

Hopefully Anthony gets a chance to kick. He did play a bit this year with injuries to the starting punter I believe. Not too common for a freshman to see any playing time. Cats should keep their eyes on him.

1 Like

I wonder if Bobo will be in attendance ?