national anthem

rocky123 wrote:"...and I firmly believe, we should never forget, but rather celebrate our freedom frequently. I certainly don't take it for granted, but apparently many people do."

rocky: And the connection between freedom and singing the National Anthem at a football game is.....???? Sounds like jingo-ism to me and we sure have enough of that from south of the border.
If you really want to be patriotic there are other more meaningful ways.
I kinda like huckenbubble's suggestion. Now that would REALLY mean something.
This is my last message on this thread because I am having a tough time holding back on saying to Rocky what I really think about his insulting post.
We had an interesting discussion going here with a good exchange of ideas. Too bad.
mr62cats (veteran).

[quote="mr62cats")
rocky: And the connection between freedom and singing the National Anthem at a football game is.....???? Sounds like jingo-ism to me and we sure have enough of that from south of the border.

This is my last message on this thread because I am having a tough time holding back on saying to Rocky what I really think about his insulting post.
We had an interesting discussion going here with a good exchange of ideas. Too bad.
mr62cats (veteran).
[/quote]
mr62cats: I apologize if I insulted you. That was never my intent.
We both feel strongly about the Anthem, but simply disagree on when to play it.

Unfortunately a fly past of any sort for the Oct 26 game honouring the Services would not be very visible, game starts 6:30, sunset is at 6:20 that evening. Although the afterburners would look pretty cool.

As an ex-serviceman I take a great deal of pride when the anthem is played at the games. I am equally irate when the person chosen to sing it, does so like it is a "pop" song on the charts! It is a set piece of military music, sing it and play it as such.

Just thought I'd throw this in.

The 1999/2000 Education Statutes and Regulations of Ontario under Operation of Schools-General, in regulation 298, states among other things, that "(1) Every public elementary and secondary school shall hold opening or closing exercises," and "(2) Opening or closing exercises shall include O Canada and may include God Save The Queen."

I'm glad to see that the provincial government has seen fit to retaining the anthem in all Ontario public schools. It's good that kids learn the words so they'll be able to sing the anthem at football games. :slight_smile:

An Argo-Cat fan

Good post barneyfile. I was only joking about my kids not knowing the words if they take the anthem out of sports. My kids do hear the anthem every day at school because of this regulation.
I must add that schools are doing a good job of having the kids respect this because i've noticed at both Bulldog and Ticat games MOST kids are very respectfull during the anthem.
I just hope they don't take the anthem out of schools as to not annoy the newcomers to the country. It's happened before but that is another topic not meant for this forum

rocky wrote: "mr62cats: I apologize if I insulted you. That was never my intent.
We both feel strongly about the Anthem, but simply disagree on when to play it."

Rocky. Accepted. Thanks.

Not to worry....

My granddaughter (4yo) went for her meet the JK teacher 2 weeks ago, and during the 1 on 1, the rest of the school was in assembly and they started to sing "O Canada".
Having been a three morning a week pre-schooler, she jumped up, strongly insisted the teacher and my daughter stand up and joined in with the singing school.
Teacher turned to my daughter and said: "she's going to be a leader, isn't she!!

As mentioned before... not to worry!!!!!

How about TRYING to sing "O Canada" after the armed forces walked in/onto the field right after 9/11??

Sorry, PJAY...I don't get the meaning of your last post. Please explain.

I don't see what 9/11 has to do with the singing of "O Canada".

Not worrying. I mentioned in another post after stating I was only kidding. My kids sing the anthem at school which I think is a good idea. congrats to your granddaughter for stating her concern

I was refering to the emotions felt prior to the first Ticat game I think on the Sat night after 9/11.

There was an impressive march in by members of the armed forces around the field and then everyone joined in singing O Canada. It was subdued and many fought back tears, me included.

Thank you Rockster for starting this thread. This thread and the comments following have given me a new understanding and appreciation for the National Anthem. Think of what our country would be like. Think of what a game would be like if it wasn't for our Vets. Hanging people from the goalposts at half time would be one possiblity. mr62cats and all other veterans, I thank you. From now on, the Nation Anthem to me will be like an on going Rememberance Day. Sing loud , sing proud, cflwpg

I just watched Keith Pelley, Argo President, sing the national anthem to start the game between Argos and Eskimos.

That's exactly the kind of abuse the anthem doesn't need. It turns the anthem into a plaything, a bauble to be thrown around as a token in a foolish bet.
Where's the dignity in that show?

Note: Even if his singing had been good, which it wasn't, I would feel the same way.
No dignity, nothing to be proud of!

Sorry, Wilf, I have to disagree with you on that one. He was trying to sing it, and his voice was not on any key I have ever heard except when I try karaoke.

You seem to think that the National Anthem is too sacred to be sung but in the most solemn of circumstances. Unfortunately, most patriotic songs from more than 100 years ago usually started from drinking songs, and are, in that respect, rather base.

Your "abuse" is more about having to prove to 31 000 people that you cannot sing rather than showing patriotism. Mr. Pelley sings no better nor worse than any average person, so I ask, how well can you sing before you are allowed to tackle "O Canada"?

Last night at the game in Edmonton ,one of the Argo owners lost a bet and sang the National anthem for the Commonwealth Stadium crowd.

Brutal!!!!

I hope these clowns bet with a less horrific outcome next time.

Only worse rendition of the anthem could be by Ossy Osborne maybe,give the fans a break will ya?

Vuarra, you misunderstand my position. I have no problem with the vocal excellence, or lack thereof, of the singer. I do have a problem with the amount of respect shown to the anthem.

IMO the 'bet' that was paid off should have been worded thusly, "Either I make an ass of myself in front of your fans and the country, or you make an ass of yourself in front of my fans and the country. Either way we will show no respect for the anthem."

It's all about dignity and respect. The calibre of the performance is secondary, if those two qualities are foremost.

Cool, I was at that game as well, and remember it vividly for the same reason. The US Marine Corps color guard had flown the Canadian Flag upside down during the anthems in game 2, and all of America was bracing for us to boo the Stars and Stripes in game 3. They brought the same color guard out on the Skydome field (carrying the flag properly this time), but instead of booing, the fans joined in to sing both anthems loud and proud. It was a very Canadian moment. I'm generally against anthems at sporting events, for many of the reasons cited in this thread, but that was definitely an exception to the rule.

Huh? How is “O Canada? considered “military music??

Hi Bunner

"Military" in that like most anthems it was scored to be played by military brass or concert bands. Most towns had such bands in the 18 & 1900s, Not military in the sense of marches.

C'mon folks, compared to the latest 12 year old reject from Canadian Idol, some 60s rock group singing acapella or the 'stylings' of some rapper (all of which I've heard at sporting events), Pelley did fine. It's not like he was performing it on Capitol Hill for Remembrance Day.

An Argo-Cat fan

Pelley stunk!!!!

Please spare us this experience(?) again Mr.Pelley...

Even if you do own half the team ...
Spare us!!!