Nathan Rourke to sign with NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars

Way too many fans know fsr too much and some of them should be employed as coaches and general managers… It is a certainty that somebody these fans would solve all the problem the CFL ever faced… Too bad none of them ever got hired

1 Like

Every year there are several CFL players who get a look with NFL teams. These are for other positions besides QB. They all make their way back to the CFL. QB is an elite position and he is competing against players who were high drat picks.

I remember Bo Levi having great early seasons with the Stamps and he never got a sniff in NFL

you remembering Bo’s situation doesn’t actually make you smarter than those giving Rourke advice like you seem to think it does. seriously, are you an agent? do you work in football related occupation at all? what is your expertise on this matter? you seem to have all the answers that he should have done instead of sign with the Jags. sounds like jealousy to me.

Bo did not have anywhere near the stats and immediately success Rourke did at his age and it was a different time. the comparison is moot.

2 Likes

I suspect a lot of the reason for that had to do with attitude.

Nonetheless, there are quite a few Canadians playing in the NFL, and not warming benches, either. CTV has been running a ton of ads on that very subject (a topic for a different debate).

And even those who are backups or PR players… they are still making way more money down south, with the added bonus of not getting beat up or injured every week. They’d be fools to leave a cushy spot to work harder while taking a pay cut.

But back to topic… Rourke got a 3 year deal with guaranteed money and coaches who promised him a legit shot at a backup position and an opportunity to develop to the next level. Why do you think he would give that up and return after one season?

5 Likes

there are canadians playing in the NFL playoffs

2 Likes

Yea pretty sure three years pay to Natan at 700 grand a year is a publicity stunt given to a no talent yokel just to thumb a nose at the CFL and Canada just for a lark… Yup you are totally correct there

3 Likes

Well this has been done to death - twice. I thought we'd hit rock bottom but I still see signs of people starting to dig.:rofl:

Great read here

4 Likes

awesome read, thanks Grover!

Rourke and Mitchell connected at the CFL awards during Grey Cup week in Regina where Rourke was named the league’s Most Outstanding Canadian. Mitchell shared his experiences with the Canadian phenom, including the importance of finding the right fit south of the border to ensure there is a legitimate path toward earning a roster spot.

“He told me that exact story. I think that if the goal is to be playing the NFL, which it is for me, I think with what my age is and being young and being younger than some of the quarterbacks that are coming out, there’s still a lot of room to develop and grow. And the sooner that we get to the NFL, the sooner that process of becoming a starter can happen.”

Rourke will look to back up former first-overall NFL Draft pick Trevor Lawrence in 2023 with a long-term goal of becoming an NFL starter.

“I have an opportunity to go down, be a number two and get some good preseason film on, which is big, and then be in position to be one play away if something were to happen to Trevor. And then for the team not to skip a beat and get some film that way, maybe something happens down the road from another team,” Rourke said.

“I don’t think that’s going to happen unless you’re down in the NFL, you’re able to get those reps, get that film and for people to evaluate you on Sunday, so I think that those are all things that went to that decision. Trevor’s a great quarterback and I think there’s a lot to learn from him and he’s had a great year. I think that system definitely fits his strengths and I think that a lot of his strengths are things that I can do well.”

1 Like

I hope he does well and the money is of course is ideal in NFL. I’m all for a Canadian doing well but it will be an uphill battle.

Not at QB

Face reality…chances that he actually plays are slim

He has zero chance of EVER getting 700 thousand a season in the CFL. His salary would be 70 thousand if he was lucky in the CFL tis coming season … You need to look at what you would do in his shoes. And I doubt you would stay in Canada.

[quote=“AnthonyinMontreal, post:142, topic:83464”]

Not at QB

[/quote]. Mark Rypien
3 Likes

But are you sure you’ll be ready for the SCORCHING HOT TAKES that will hit the forum out of nowhere again for that game?!

Overtime and HAZMAT PAY will be offered again of course!

2 Likes
1 Like

I don't recall reading anywhere what he did sign for. Isn't 700k just the minimum?

Fact - he only joined the forum a few hours ago so he could chime in on this particular topic, so I’m going with a hard yes.

4 Likes

Hey, I was about to say that :grin::joy: