Nathan Rourke to sign with NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars

TORONTO — Nathan Rourke has decided where he will be playing football next season.

The BC Lions quarterback announced on his social media on Sunday that he has chosen to sign with the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2023/01/15/nathan-rourke-to-sign-with-nfls-jacksonville-jaguars/

Boo. As discussed on the Rourke thread, this practically means that he will be off the field next year. We won’t see him play in the CFL as expected and we won’t see him play in the NFL except in garbage time or if Lawrence gets hurt. I don’t understand this choice. So much for his comments about finding the best situation where he has a chance to play. If you think NFL politics are keeping Streveler off the field in New York, and I do, you can multiply that here. He doesn’t have a chance to beat out a #1 overall pick who progressed forward this year even if he plays better than Mahomes.

2 Likes

was going to merge this but realized after it was a system one and did deserve its own thread, so decided to undo it.

yea i’m not sure why he chose Jags. puzzling to me but obviously don’t know everything. money talks.

3 Likes

He is going to the NFL because every QB wants to be there .. he has the chance to try kudos for him and I hope he makes it. As for Streveler ... He ain't playing for good reason

3 Likes

Frustrating that the great Canadian experiment is over. BC fans must be praying that Vernon Adams Jr will be their saviour.

1 Like

i don’t pray for anything.

i think Adams will be fine with a full training camp and preseason.

Maybe, but you can’t say Streveler was given any kind of a chance this year. He was easily the best Jets QB when he played and that didn’t get him meaningful field time due to NFL politics. It would have been nice to see if he could actually play in the NFL. We don’t know even though on merit he earned the right to try. Just saying this will apply to Rourke as well no matter how much he may impress.

2 Likes

Some more detail than the site article contains below. I didn’t know that smiling Hank was a Jaguars coach.

(Canadian QB Rourke agrees to contract with Jaguars Nathan Rourke agrees to contract with Jaguars - TSN.ca)

1 Like

interesting indeed :thinking:

Lalji reports that Rourke met with Jacksonville's staff when he worked out with them in December and says Rourke felt like he has a real chance to be a backup behind Trevor Lawrence in 2023.
Lalji also notes that former CFL start quarterback Henry Burris, who is currently an offensive quality control coach with the Jags, was a "great advocate" in getting Rourke signed in Jacksonville.

2 Likes

The jets sucked all year did they not. Any coach puts the best QB available . Especially when the team is in the doldrums. The fact Streveler was continually relegated says all that needs to be said. He may however be welcome back in Canada as a player or even a coach soon

2 Likes

I don’t necessarily agree. I don’t see how merit was a factor after his coach said he had the best pre season in NFL history. I see politics in play here.

The Jets didn’t completely suck all year. For several weeks at mid season they were in a playoff spot. They collapsed over the last six games or so and didn’t start Streveler.

1 Like

ok so while we may question and be critical of his motives and where he signed, this is pretty unprecedented; we should appreciate that a canadian quarterback has signed an NFL contract after going both undrafted and starting for just half a CFL season.

2 Likes

Very true and the all the best to him

Well that I figure settles my initial feelings that BC would be a real contender this season with Rourke behind center. I think Adams is OK but not a Grey Cup QB. BC is going to struggle and I'm not so sure they will be very successful.
Too bad too because now the cellar dweller fight will be Edmonton, Sask or BC . Edmonton might actuall make it just a bit higher but I predict Chris Jones won't make the playoffs. This is only his 2nd year in charge. And Riders are falling down the charts with the mess there in coaching staff

3 Likes

Here goes the Winnipeg angle again. Politics? The reality is that if you invest tens of millions of dollars in a QB, guys coming over like Streveler aren't getting a real shot. If starting is REALLY what Streveler wants he would be back in the CFL. If you don't know that going in you're naive IMO.

Whether Rourke carries a clip board or not, he's going to make big $$$. I don't believe for a second he himself thinks he has a chance of playing if Lawrence is healthy. I understand his choice perfectly. Why would he opt for the CFL?

As for Jacksonville, there was a lot of buzz that Rourke would end up with the Jaguars or KC. He wouldn't have played there either. My guess is that there may have been guaranteed money floating around as speculated. THAT would be a good reason to take one team over another.

1 Like

During all this, the reporting has been all about Rourke, NFL, McEvoy/Campbell but virtually nothing about BC Lions/CFL fans. You know, the ones who were dangled Reilly but ended up with a crappy O-line and a rookie suite of coaches. Two seasons of frustration, not counting the previous failed Jennings era. Then we are teased with eight games of promising and wonderful football with a future CFL star. Then poof, Rourke is gone. For the money. For the fame. And once again, BC Lions get the shaft. It just seems to me that Rourke could have stayed for one more season in the CFL, showed NFL coaches he is not prone to injury, erase that last disappointing game and ended up with a far juicier offer from the NFL. Not just for Rourke but for the fans. For the CFL for one more year. But no. It's all about the Benjamins. The fans are always the last consideration in the CFL.

what does Winnipeg have to do with this?

2 Likes

that is an extremely selfish view to expect professional athletes to make career decisions to suit your personal viewing and opinions instead of you know, their own lives.

7 Likes