Names and uniforms

Well I'm glad Edmonton did the right thing and changed their name to the Elks, and I really liked the new helmets with the antlers. So today I tune in to the Elks-Stamps Labour Day rematch and see that they've changed the damn helmets, shrinking the antlers to ant-size to make room for an elk head. I happen to believe that uniforms are important and help fans identify with a team. Well my feeling is that the new helmet logo is just a visual jumble and they should go back to just the antlers. I liked it when they scored and did their antler dance with their arms coming up out of their heads. Not today. You're
just getting used to something and they change it, usually for the worse. The EE on the jerseys is okay because it was a cool logo and of course still fits, but the letters are much too thick.
Maybe make them thinner or put them on the helmet towards the front and go back to the old big antlers.
While I'm at it, will the Stamps ever decide what their uniforms are? I guess they wear different colours, black or red, or white, depending on how the other team is dressed. OK. But they seem to have about 7 combinations and it makes it a bit of a disconnect when you have an image of a team and it keeps changing. BTW, Argos light blue pants look like pyjama bottoms.

…are you a professor of fashion?! :crazy_face: not a big fan of light blue pants either my friend…

…agree with you also on the EE helmets yesterday…the sideways elk head is a decent logo for sure but for marketing and doesn’t transfer well to the helmet…it’s too small and thin to see from a distance, and one side is facing backwards…

….I would do a elk head face on with a big rack on the front of the jersey and the EEs on the helmet…

Sorry to take so long to reply. I definitely like your idea for the jersey front! Then with the elk there it would be ideal to put the EE back on the helmet. Gotta send this to management.

Hockey jersey logo look left over from the US expansion experiment is unsettling to look at kinda like if the NHL decided to use just numbers in front of the jersey .

I do like the larger sized font double EE without the outline patch on the helmet for some games .

Actually, looking at the double E in this pic, I'm changing my tune
re what I said. The EE seems to me kind of old and tired. Also, yesterday they were back to the helmet with the big antlers and that looked really good.

Everybody likes aesthetically pleasing uniforms and logos, regardless of sport.
I firmly believe that the Atlantic Schooners made a huge mistake by not having a logo and brand that younger fans could get behind. As a minor football coach I was extremely disappointed when I couldn’t get my players amped up about a boat. Hopefully they can still drum up interest, but better branding would make their job so much easier.

1 Like

What name would you have preferred?

For what it's worth, the Schooners actually putting a team on the field in the next decade is far from a sure thing. Maybe there will be another ownership group in the future, and they will choose a different team name.

This thread has nothing to do with site feedback. The feedback it asks for is about the forum, not the league in general.

Thanks for the heads up. Just moved it to CFL Talk.

1 Like

Something related to the history of the region is a decent starting point, it’s just that a schooner does not evoke emotions often associated with football. Alternatively:

Twelve Pounders (pounders for short)
Cannons
Garrison
These could use a cannon for a logo.

Sea Dogs
Privateers
Rogues
Smugglers
These could lean into the pirate theme.

Both of these concepts would crack the marketing wide open and allow for mascots and swag that would appeal to a younger demographic, while still giving a nod to history.

Of course the options are far broader than what I’ve suggested, and many of those options would be easier to market than a fishing boat.

I’d love to see the CFL come all the way east, but until the general public starts to get excited, it isn’t likely to happen. You’ve got to sell something people want to buy.

That’s just my two cents, as somebody who has tried to get people into the idea.

3 Likes

I Love sea dogs or privateers Or even any other stronger naval or sea creature that brings a sharp edge to it .

The kids and some kid like adults like me love it .

I have to agree the marketing for the team or attempt to do something 2021 instead of 1980 never was is a non starter .

Not sure why they didn't even try to do something that engaged the fans after securing the stadium first ; there is plenty of time to get it right .

1 Like