Name 10 ticats worth keeping next year

There really aren't that many you know. Most are either overpriced mediocre or over the hill. Oh!!?!?!? Sorry I didn't mean the coaching staff. In case my description was misunderstood....I meant the players

the ten best offensive players, starting with Burris.

There is not one D player who deserves to cash his paychecks.

J Johnson
Knowlton
Congi
C Williams
Dyakowski
B Grant
Fantuz
Peguese?
O Jones?
Bartel?

I really struggled on the last three I would replace one of them with good Hank but he comes with bad Hank so no thank! :lol:

Hmmmm...great thread.

Tough call.

Gotta go with Burris, cuz I can't think of a decent replacement.
Cobourne - a year to year basis. His attitude alone is what is needed.
Fantuz
Chris Williams
Mallett or T Grant
Dyakowski
J Johnson
Peguese
Congi
Porter - prepare to start the transition slowly ( I know, I'm grasping now)

There are just so many good ones to choose from............Oh well, at first it sounded funny.

C. Williams
A. Fantuz
D. Stala
B. Grant
L. Congi
T.Davis
J. Johnson
M. Knowlton
J. McElveen
Q. Porter

1.Henry Burris - Despite what everyone says, this guy is absolute dynamite.Give him a proper OL and some decent play calls and I bet you'd hardly if ever see "Bad Hank" ever again.
2.Chris Williams - MOP?? Nuff said.
3.Peter Dyakowski - Best OL on the team, he and Hage are the OL on their own.Hage may be a little more expandable with his recurring injuries as of late and Moe Petrus possibly on his way.
4.Brandon Peguese - This guy is going to be a monster, why we sat him last game for Boudreaux I really don't know.This entire season is a blooper reel for Cortez.
5.Markeith Knowlton - The monster.Former DPOY.Our LB corps really lacks when we don't have his talents out there.
6.Andy Fantuz - Slow start but finally seems to be getting used to the hammer.He's starting to get some chemistry with Burris and i'm excited to see what another TC would do for him.
7.Jamall Johnson - This guy is a crusher on ST and blitzes.Averages about 100 tackles per year.Solid piece of our defence.
8.Matt Bucknor - Showing huge potential, hits hard, good ball skills, imagine if he could catch.Very impressed with this kid :thup:
9.Bakari Grant - He's got height, hands and he's fairly fast.I expect a breakout season next year providing he's healthy.
10.Ricardo Colclough - He's fast and seems very motivated unlike most of our DB's.I'm kinda stuck on whether to keep him or Tisdale however (yes I know i'm probably going to get ripped for that one but Tisdale came over mid season to a new team, new defence and was given a VERY short leash.He can still be a play maker and I think that a full TC under his belt will prove just that.)

Honourable mentions
Jermaine McElveen - Solid rotational guy, i'd rotate him and Peach and keep Peguese on full time.
Geoff Tisdale - (for reasons mentioned above)
Luca Congi - The guys money, and a non-import.
Josh Bartel - Big leg and puts a beautiful spin on the ball making it difficult to handle.Also not afraid to make a tackle.

Trade/Release

Dave Stala - try to trade, but probably not too much value left.He can definitely still play but he's just not a good fit for Cortez's offense.Draft a couple OL, couple WR's and a DL.Simon CC get's the opportunity to step into the lineup.

Marcell Young - RELEASE.Pitiful ball skills and hardly ever looks back, he either allows the catch or draws the flag.He catches the odd duck for the INT but that's about it.

Quinton Porter - Perhaps Edmonton and Winnipeg will both have an interest and want to assure they get they they're next starter or backup QB.Trade all the way.

Casey Creehan - When he plays aggressive with man-man and LB blitzes, our D is pretty damn good.But that's few and far between because he'd rather do DL only rush and zone coverage.

Henry Burris
Avon Cobourne
Andy Fantuz
Dave Stala
Chris Williams
Bakari Grant
Sam Giguere
Pascal Baillargeon
Cody Husband
Marwan Hage
Peter Dyakowski
Jermaine McElveen
Brandon Peguese
Torrey Davis
Greg Peach
Rey Williams
Markeith Knowlton
Jamall Johnson
Brock Campbell
Ricardo Colclough
Carlos Thomas
Dee Webb
Matt Bucknor
Ryan Hinds
Chris Rwabukamba
Luca Congi
Josh Bartel

That's just off the top of my head. Some of the pieces fit, but it is an incomplete puzzle. And not all these keepers are not necessarily starters, but some are young guys that can't be let go because of one sub-par season (ex. Sam Giguere). The constant change is one of the problems with this team over the last few years. In the past, some have been bad pickups/hires, but one year is not enough to decide whether this group should be tossed out. Continuity is what is needed, not another drastic overhaul.

Not bad typing skills and lots of loyalty. But please be realistic at least three of your 24 keepers are at or nearing retirement
Several are among our ball hawk (did I actually write that) defense ..where's your succession plan for quarterbacks?

But I respect your optimism. I remember thinking the same about or 1-17 and 2-and whatever teams. A little here and a little there....but in each case it required dramatic rejigging

Just because a player is nearing retirement doesn't mean they should retire. I'm going to guess Burris, Cobourne and Stala are the three you are referring to. Burris is 37, but in the CFL, 37 isn't that old. We've seen players play longer than that and been successful (Calvillo currently, and Damon Allen before him). Burris could play another couple of years before giving way to a new starter. Cobourne has been one of the best players on the team this year and I think he could play at the same level next year. I'd bring him back in a heartbeat. Stala, like Cobourne, brings a veteran's savvy that this team sorely needed. His numbers are down, but that's not all on him. He can still contribute and I wouldn't hesitate to bring him back either.

Yes, I want to see the team bring back many members of the defense, but not all of them will be starters. Some will be backups and some will compete for jobs in camp (and maybe not make it out of camp, by why not let them compete for a job?). Like I said, the pieces are there, but the puzzle still needs to be finished. I think it is a given that Creehan will not be back next year, so maybe a different DC can get out of these guys what Creehan couldn't. Guys like McElveen, Peach, Johnson, Williams and Knowlton have been productive before, so they can be productive again.

As for QB, Porter will be gone; that's pretty much been decided. The other two QBs on the roster have shown exactly nothing so far, so I don't know if keeping them is good or bad. But bring back LeFevour. He can be groomed to take over from Burris.

I also didn't name any special teams players, that would bump the number up considerably.

At the end of the day, it's not about who to bring back, but who to bring in. Maybe you don't like a certain player, but if there is no better replacement out there, why not bring him back? To be honest, I would actually like to see a very ho-hum off-season from the team this year. No big releases, no big signings, no major coaching changes (save one, and I don't usually advocate for firing a coach). Make some tweaks here and there, but I don't want to witness another massive overhaul.

As an aside, I think the Cats decided to make the big changes in the wrong year. This should have been the make-or-break year for Bellefeuille, Glenn, etc. If they didn't get to the Grey Cup after four seasons, then make the big changes going into the nomad year. I doubt a lot of fans would have been mad had the team gone 5-13 or 6-12 in 2013, knowing that essentially playing every game on the road is not ideal. Next year should have been the year of change, not this year. Now, the team becomes the travelling road show after going under .500 and probably missing the playoffs.

Somehow, I wish we could keep the heart, passion, effort, professionalism and intensity like we get from Cobourne. A few more Cobourne like players around would certainly make a big difference. In my opinion, in addition to the Chris Williams performances,the "good Hank" days, it has been a joy and pleasure this year to see Cobourne give it his all.

Henry Burris
Avon Cobourne
Andy Fantuz
Chris Williams
Bakari Grant
Sam Giguere
Pascal Baillargeon
Cody Husband
Peter Dyakowski
Jermaine McElveen
Brandon Peguese
Torrey Davs
Markeith Knowlton
Jamall Johnson
Brock Campbell
Ricardo Colclough
Carlos Thomas
Dee Webb
Matt Bucknor
Ryan Hinds
Chris Rwabukamba
Luca Congi
Josh Bartel

Its going to be frustrating if we let Burris go, and watch him have a big year (again) and put up wins with another team that gives him an O line and a defense.

Stats dont lie. Yes he turns the ball over, but he also puts up PLENTY of offense and points to win games.

ALL blame needs to point squarely at this defense. We could have Joe Montana at QB and Walter freaking Payton in the backfield and we still are not winning games with this defense.

If I have to protect 10 players for next year, here are the ones I protect

Henry Burris - He is at the time of this post 1st in the league in passing yardage and in his first season with has, has broken the Ti-Cat passing touchdown record. I'm not going to say he doesn't have bad days, but he's still capable of getting it done.

Chris Williams - Rookie of the year, has the CFL returning record, a damn solid receiver and the fastest player in the league. Being 6th in the league in receiving yardage also helps his case. Plus he's incredibly young still.

Peter Dyakowski - An awesome Offensive lineman, does an excellent job of blocking and one of our best non-imports and only 28 years old.

Jamal Johnson - Rey is 4th in the CFL for tackles and has 3 sacks this season. Plus he's been exceptionally good on special teams. He's more a victim of bad defensive play calling and poor defensive backs/defensive linemen.

Rey Williams - Rey is 2nd in the CFL for tackles and has 2 sacks this season. Like Jamal, he's more a victim of bad defensive play calling and poor defensive back/defensive linemen.

Andy Fantuz - You will be hard pressed to find a non-import receiver as good as Andy Fantuz. Actually, this season you can't as he is the top Canadian in receiving yardage this season.

Luca Congi/Josh Bartel - Good kickers are hard to find and good non-imports are even harder. Luca has had a stellar season and is certainly worth keeping and Josh Bartel has been getting in done all season, even when pressured. I'm treating them both as one, given that they are kickers.

Samuel Giguere - Say whatever you want, this is still Giguere's first season as a starter and I think he's done quite well (although I wouldn't use him as a returner). He's a solid non-import and has made some clutch plays. He's young and he's only going to get better.

Dave Stala - Stala is Mr. Clutch, and I hope he runs his career out in Hamilton. He's also a backup kicker and one of the best non-imports int he league. At 32, he's probably got another three years left at least.

Now keep in mind, I feel many more are worth keeping, to name a few.

Marwan Hage - The best Centre in the CFL, bar none but after two major leg injuries I'm worried for him. Please Marwan, get well soon, I wear your numbers on my back and really want to see you win a Grey Cup with the black and gold. He would be on my list except I suspect his injury might be severe, nevermind how much good he's done for the community.

Avon Coborne - He averages 6.5 yards per carry. That's crazy! It is only because he's costing a small fortune that he wouldn't make my top 10.

Dee Webb - He's about the only Defensive Back who seems capable and making, or at least being in the position of making interceptions this season. He's made some good defensive plays as well.

Bakari Grant - Besides being our best kickoff returner, Bakari is tall and has make some solid catches and some solid YAC yards this season.

Jermaine McElveen - About the only bright spot on our D. Line, registering 6 sacks so far this season.

So pretty much the theme here is keep the offence as is, save maybe a couple of line replacements and keep our linebackers but nuke the d.line, the d.backs and our defensive coordinator.

People are being a lot more lenient than I would be. We're the second worst team in the league, and the team that many consider to be the worst, beat us twice including a 22 point thrashing just a few weeks ago.

For instance:

Peach, Webb, Campbell, Colclough, Rwabukwamba, McElveen, Peguese, Rey Williams, Bucknor, Jamal Johnson were all mentioned as players that should be kept, yet those are all guys who have got significant playing time on the very defense that is being ripped apart every game. There are some names there that I agree with, but there are also a few that I strongly disagree with.

Eddie Steele also makes my list, however given his injuries, he's avoided a lot of my anger towards the D.Line.

I can understand some here wanting Campbell, Williams, and Johnson to stay here, because the issues that the defence has are mostly with the front four and secondary, IMHO.

It's often said that game are won and lost in the trenches, and the O line looks like it needs improvement, and the D line looks like it really needs improvement.

Let's talk about who should be released? The Cats will keep much more than 10 of the existing roster. Who is on the bubble?

Name the players or at least give reasons. Here are mine for keeping them:

Peach is in his first year here and should get a second
Webb has played some really good football this season
Campbell is in his first year in the league
Colclough was acquired mid-season and I'd like to see what he could do after being here all year
Rwabukamba is in his first year as a starter, so another season seems reasonable even if he just becomes a backup
McElveen has been the best d-lineman this year and has really turned it on recently; no reason to get rid of him.
Peguese has played some good football in his short time here; can't see one reason to let him go
Rey Williams should be self explanatory; he's one of the few players that seems to give a crap
Bucknor is a rookie and you don't dump rookies, especially Canadian rookies, after one year
Jamall Johnson is the best linebacker on the team and just turned 30; to get rid of him now would be ludicrous

This may be the second worst team in the league, but this is still a team that lost a three-point game to Toronto, a two-point game to Montreal, a three-point game to BC and a seven-point game to Winnipeg when they turned the ball over six times. This team could be 9-6 just as easily as they are 5-10. They aren't, but those one-score losses tells me this team is minor steps away, not major ones.

People are going to disagree with me, but I haven't been impressed with Peach at all. He's slow and constantly loses contain on the Quarterback.
The problem with Colclough is that it seems like he might be okay at a few different positions, but not good enough to be a full-time starter at either of those positions.
Campbell hasn't stood out to me at all, he had one good game when our entire Defense played their best 60 minutes of the year, other than that he's been average. Markeith still takes back the Sam linebacker position next year, leaving Campbell out of the picture.
As long as Rwabukamba is going to be a backup, I'm all for bringing him back. I like McElveen, Webb, Peguese, J.J. and Bucknor as well. I have mixed feelings on Rey Williams. I'm okay with bringing him back but I wouldn't be opposed to replacing him. He's one of the few guys who definitely cares though, you're right about that.

Winnipeg lost a three-point game to Toronto, a three-point game to BC, a one-point game to Saskatchewan, and an eleven-point game to Calgary when they turned the ball over eight times. Every team loses close games.