My Thoughts

I may be new to this form but I am not new to watching these guys play or try to play football.
Most people are saying that the problem is the o line....and I sure agree with that.All the hype at the seasons beginning with the re-signing of Marwan Hage....get rid of him.. I have seen absolutely nothing from him...what happened with Hudson at center? a team of senior citizens could go through this line with ease.As far as QB... as far as I am concerned....install a good O line and let Quinton Porter do the rest.....Casey Printers has shown nothing...keeps saying he has to get out of the NFL mode....what mode?..how many games did he play in the NFL...I don't think he played any.He has no idea how to move this team...not to often do I see this guy just go for the first down yards..he has to try a bomb and half the time it never works.You Casey fans can say what you want but this guy is getting a lot of money for doing nothing....and he don't get any less time to throw than these other guys do...and in fact even when he has had some time he still blew it....so he came off the bench one year and won a grey cup so did Jason Maas and where is he now...Quinton Porter should be number one and Williams number two. I do not agree with the guy who said that we should have expected to lose against BC...they racked up a lot of points but the game I watched could have went a different direction with some QB protection and a couple of good thrown balls that should have been caught....comon...it starts taking a toll on a defense when it is two downs and out all the time.I know the defence needs to improve because some of the mistackles are the sloppiest I have ever seen but I believe with a better showing from the offence then the defence will improve itself.

defense only on the field for 2 minutes, minus special teams time. That not long enough to excuse 40 pts. O-line is a problem, but defense almost just as much.

17 pts in first quarter is inexcusable.

Quinton Porter should be number one and Williams number two. I do not agree with the guy who said that we should have expected to lose against BC...
My THOUGHTS on YOUR thoughts ... When you START a ROOKIE, on the ROAD, against a Grey Cup CALIBER team you BETTER BELIEVE the chances of coming out with a W are VERY REMOTE ...

Which brings me to a POINT I have been meaning to make ever since word came that the BRAIN TRUST was demoting Richie so they could "take a look at " this Quinton kid ...

Can you say DISRESPECT !!!?? I KNEW ya could !
Can you say "Orwellian Double Speak" ? ... I wasn't sure IF ya could ...

At a time when the Cats were just 2 games from a Playoff Berth and with 2 games REMAINING against the BlueBombers ... Bob O'Bumble-vich went AGAINST his ASSERTION that this team was still going to BATTLE for the Playoff Berth when HE DECIDED to FIRE Taaffe and then give Quinton the late season AUDITION ...

It was at this point in the season that ANY and ALL Progress was DESTROYED and ANY and ALL team CHEMISTRY was ERASED. In true cliche form, a football team is GREATER than the SUM of it parts. ALL the SUCCESSFUL teams have an INHERENT Structure, and HIERARCHY. Quite SIMPLY put, ORDER and LAW are paramount for a team to succeed on the field ...

From this FAN'S perspective, (and you can be SURE from that of the PLAYER'S too!) O'bumble-vich BROKE every unwritten LOCKER ROOM rule when he CAPRICIOUSLY, CALLOUSLY, and without MERIT decided to demote Richie Williams, PERIOD!

The team had just LOST their GENERAL (Taaffe, for those who need the dots CONNECTED) and then, after they were TOLD it was done in the INTEREST of gaining PLAYOFF GROUND - they were informed that Richie's services would NO LONGER be NEEDED !!! This DECISION came right of LEFT FIELD and had NOTHING, whatsoever, to do with MERIT or DESERVED reward ...

The EFFECT on the LOCKER ROOM of this POOR DECISION cannot be UNDERESTIMATED ... Richie did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (in the EYES, especially, of his team mates) to WARRANT that demotion. They were SUPPOSED to be in the HUNT for a playoff spot so the brass decides to go with a ROOKIE !!!????

Then, as though that DISRUPTION were not ENOUGH, management brings in ANOTHER RB to an already stacked backfield !! As PLAYERS who had been around since Training Camp, and had BATTLED together for 3 months - to see that AMOUNT of DISRESPECT shown to those who had done ALL which was asked of them - had to be TOO MUCH TO STOMACH!!!!

When your OWN Management does not follow those TRADITIONAL RULES of football team building ... how DEDICATED to the cause can the PLAYERS remain !!!???

I WAS on of those people that COULD see the silver lining of the dark cloud of a season that was transpiring. In fact, I posted several times regarding the COMPETITIVENESS of this year's squad ... But let's BE CLEAR - ALL of that was BLOWN AWAY when Taaffe was DUMPED, and Richie was DUMPED, and Kenton Keith (no offense to him) was brought in. Not to mention the ROOKIE Head Coach put in place !!!! Not to mention the jettisoning of the HEART and SOUL of your defense, in Moreno !!!!!

All of this has done IRREPARABLE DAMAGE to the team for the remainder of this season.

As to NEXT year - who KNOWS what is going to transpire - but ALL INDICATIONS are that this team will not even CLOSELY resemble this one. There WILL be a new HC, there will be new Co-Ordinators, Casey will LIKELY be gone, Richie will LIKELY be gone, Jesse will LIKELY be gone ... so you all do the MATH ...

Needless to say - the JOKE CONTINUES in Hamilton.

Peace.

Hey does everyone realize that the Pittsburgh Steelers QB was sacked 9 times last week ?? Are they replacing their O Line ?? NO !!!!!

I think if you asked the coaches more than half the sacks on Saturday were the result of Porter hanging on to the ball way to long . What`s wrong with second in ten anyways ??

i didnt think i`d get any responses from the so called no it alls !!!!

sure you did.

You responded :thup: :thup: :thup:

wonderingman wrote: "........I do not agree with the guy who said that we should have expected to lose against BC...they racked up a lot of points but the game I watched could have went a different direction with some QB protection and a couple of good thrown balls that should have been caught....comon...it starts taking a toll on a defense when it is two downs and out all the time.I know the defence needs to improve because some of the mistackles are the sloppiest I have ever seen but I believe with a better showing from the offence then the defence will improve itself."

wonderingman: Appreciate your thoughts.
I was one of those who said we should have expected the loss. How could it have been any other way? We have been the least competitive team in the CFL for the past season and a half...since Charlie arrived. We are what our record is. The problems you note re tackling, the O-line and dropped balls should have been dealt with long before now. We have had a very ineffective Head Coach and co-ordinators who needed to find another line of work. No wonder this team is in a mess. Can an ineffective offensive co-ordinator make a good Head Coach? I don't know. Maybe. I am rooting for him. But look at the mess he has to deal with. We should be fighting for a playoff spot right now not trying to correct problems like dropped balls, no starting QB and a sieve-like defense.
That's just part of the problems this team faces. We have a President who promises us a chance at the playoffs and has overseen a team that is close to being a disgrace to the CFL the whole time he has been here. Why is he still the President? Marcel B is not a miracle worker. Obie can only do so much. This team needs a dose of motivation and leadership from the top but has not been getting it. In short we are no better...and probably worse off now than we were when Mitchell started.
Bob needs a new circle of advisors from outside this team...and he needs to clean house.
This is a proud CFL franchise but every week we field a lousy team all that past pride takes a big hit. If things continue this way for the rest of the season the final nail will be put in the coffin. That will be when most fans and the city will cease to care.
This team can still be brought back to respectability but it has to start at the top. Still no sign yet that will happen.
And the worst thing fans on this forum can do is submit posts about how close we are to becoming a good team. Quit kidding yourselves. With the possible exception of the blue team our record is about as bad as it can possibly get...and has been that way for a long time.

And the worst thing fans on this forum can do is submit posts about how close we are to becoming a good team. Quit kidding yourselves. With the possible exception of the blue team our record is about as bad as it can possibly get...and has been that way for a long time.
No, the worst thing the fans on this forum can do is to keep calling for a total overhaul. Every year, year after year. Like last year. And the year before that. and the year before that.

I appreciate that when things aren't going well, it's much simpler to call for a rebuild than it is to evaluate where the actual weaknesses are and take rational, measured steps to address them. But that's a fan's reaction, and the professionals should ignore the pressure and non-renewal threats and red-jersey wearing stunts and do what professional football executives are paid to do.

There have been too many coaching and management changes influenced by fan reaction and short term ticket sales over the past five years. How's that worked out - selling lots of tickets? The fans were certain that the whole problem would be solved is you got rid of that OC, then that HC, then that GM, then that HC, then that DC, then that GM, then that HC, then that OC, then...

So how'd that work out, anyway? Problem solved? Getting ready for a GC party?

This team is better off than it was a year ago. And much better off than it was two years ago. And it would be better still if it didn't change so much every damn year. If you don't believe that, keep screaming for another rebuild, cause that was such a good call last time.

section8:

So which of the coaches, QB’s etc we have had in the past couple of years or longer would have led us out of the wilderness? Not one of them!
That’s the problem with your rationale. Where do you start building from? Do you honestly think Charlie and Jason Maas would have magically turned this team around. Greg Marshall? He lost the team. How far do you want to go back to make your point?
I have not seen one spark from any of our coaches in the past 3 or 4 years that told me we were heading in the right direction. This team and its executives have hired the wrong people!
Until there is some indication that we have a Kent Austin, a John Hufnagel or a Marc Trestman we just have to keep looking. Other teams can do it. The fact that we cannot says there is something seriously wrong with the quality of the people who run this team. It starts at the top. You can’t expect to find, keep and develop good players when we can’t find good coaches.
And as for being better than last year. We have only won two games. How can that be better?

8) I agree with your assessment on the state of this team, and why we are in this predicament !!!
 Have to agree to a point about us being better than last year.  We may look better in some close games, but the fact remains, we have still only won 2 games this year.  It 's almost a sure bet that we won't win another game this year, so in reality comparing our win-loss record since last year, we are no better than last year  !!!!!

That's the bottom line  !!!!! <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

Richie williams is not and will never be a bona fide starter in this league. He has had his chance to show what he is and he has shown it, backup at best.
What makes you think it was obies idea to make richie number three? sure it wasnt marcels? were you upset when they got rid of maas because printers was better? didnt that screw up your little hierchy? How about when troy davis was traded so lumsden could take over......bad for the hierchy? You dont get to be a starter for any reason other than being good enough.....its not about putting in time or hanging around waiting for your shot. Its about being the best on the team at that position and richie isnt according to all four ticat coaches he has played for. One thought he was number two, the other three had him at third string......
These are team moves and richie has not proven himself a starter and hasnt won enough off the bench either. so he moves to number three........where he belongs. He and printers got the cats two wins this year.......if its not time to see what porter can do then when is it time? we HAVE all SEEN what RICHIE can DO and IT aint MUCH.
Broke every locker room law by putting a second string qb at third string? he has played at third string all the time he was here except for charlie. Thats three coaches to one who had him at third string.......locker room unwritten rule about who is second or third string qb.......thats one of the classics on here.

richie has not had much chance at all.

only 100 pass attempts last yr, and he was hamiltons best rated QB

only 130 attempts this yr, and he still hamiltons best rated QB

Writing him off is assinine.

Thanks Beetlejuice! Excellent response to meanstreak's post.
I can't believe there are still people around who think Charlie was our future.
It wasn't all his fault. He was just another on the list of wrong hires made in the past 4 years.
This team may be nowhere near as competitive as the rest of the league but I think under Marcel B it is being run far better than Charlie ever ran it. Add Rich Stubler and get some more new players for the O line and we might have a chance to improve. A new President who doesn't allow problems to go on for far too long would help too.
Marcel is in a lousy spot. He has been handed such a big mess he won't have time to turn things around by season's end so he will likely be gone and find success with another team.

Nobody wrote him off. He is safe and sound in the third qb position right where 3 of the 4 coaches had him the last three seasons. 100 pass attempts and 130 pass attempts isnt much is it? but they see the guy every day in practice and know exactly what he can and cant do. He CANT be a starter is the answer every coach has had. Look around the league and see where he would be on all teams and the answer is he would be third or second string at best anywhere you put him.
Hamiltons best rated qb??? which is lower than the starter on all other teams in this league. He would be rated 8th for starters in the league, its not good enough and that is why they are looking at porter. They know what richie can do after 3 seasons. They want to see what porter can do now.

oh gimme a break....there were times when Porter was under pressure as soon as he dropped back and had no time to get rid of it....and he is a rookie QB....what the hell do you expect? hes gunna make mistakes.

WHOOOSH !!! (that was MY point going OVER some of the people’s heads in here) …

Let me S P E L L it out a little PLAINER … In a NUTSHELL (cuz I really SHOULDN"T have to explain it) … Player’s take the DEPTH CHART seriously … for those player’s who are NOT leadpipe cinches for STARTING ROLES it gives them HOPE, and REWARDS their EFFORTS when they see themselves at #2 … it is VALIDATION for all their WORK … it is a MEASURING stick … it TELLS players where THEY STAND on the TEAM … you see, EVERYONE has a ROLE on a TEAM !!! When a player is DEMOTED, they take that SERIOUSLY, TOO … especially when the DEMOTION comes from NOWHERE …

Up to the point in the SEASON where Richie got DEMOTED, he was #2 … Which MEANS, that IF the Starter goes down … he is the NEXT UP … to have that ORDER USURPED by Management is DEVASTATING to the PLAYER who was DEMOTED, and ALSO to the team;s MORALE … whether some in here KNOW it or NOT !!!

Another FACTOR being IGNORED here was the PLAYOFF CONTENTION factor - again, JUST because a FEW in here DON’T GET IT - does not mean the PLAYERS didn’t PICK UP on the not so INSIGNIFICANT fact that the DEMOTION was right at the time Bob INSISTED they were going to make a PUSH for the PO’s - there is NOT a player on the PLANET that will get EXCITED of the news that their 3rd STRING ROOKIE is getting “a look this week” … again, that little word called “MORALE” …

And regarding Taaffe - NOWHERE did I say he was the FUTURE - but, he WAS the PRESENT, he was the GENERAL of this SQUAD and there is MUCH to say for EXPERIENCING BAD TIMES together, as a UNIT … when management PULLS the RUG out … then it is FAIRLY OBVIOUS that ANY of the ENERGY CREATED until that point in time is COMPLETELY NEUTRALIZED … the TEAM DYNAMIC is changed COMPLETELY, IRREPARABLY, and ABSOLUTELY !!! That was NOT the time for such a MOVE …

To make the MOVES they did, at the TIME they did was COMPLETELY ASININE !!! If, and when the TEAM was ELIMINATED from the PO Picture - THEN, and ONLY THEN would it make SENSE to FIRE COACHES and give 3rd STRINGERS a “look” …

Again, IF I need to EXPLAIN this stuff … then the chances are SLIMMER than the Ticats Playoff hopes that ANY of you will GET IT !!! Whether ANY of you realize it or not - there is a REAL PSYCHOLOGY to TEAM DYNAMICS …

Peace.

8) Well, you can also bet that it is Obie that is making these personel decisions and changes, it sure isn't Marcel !!!
  To put it bluntly, Marcel is being told who to play, and any of these changes are completely out of his hands and control  !!!

Anyone who doubts that, needs to clean off their rose coloured glasses  !!!
Well, you can also bet that it is Obie that is making these personel decisions and changes, it sure isn't Marcel !!!
Which is EXACTLY why I chose the word "MANAGEMENT ", and NOT "Coaches" in reference to the DECISIONS. Which is EXACTLY why I call 'him' "O-Bumble-vich" - cuz he SHOULD have known BETTER !!! Which is why I lay this ENTIRE MALAISE at the the feet of the BUMBLING ONE.

Peace.

P.S - If you all NEED another LESSON on TEAM Dynamics and MORALE - just look down the QEW to the Argo's ... there DEMISE BEGAN with the signing of Kerry Joseph. Then continued with other moves involving Prefontaine, Steinauer, Stubler ... etc. etc. ... but, NO, that was ALL just a COINCIDENCE, right ?

Mean, there definitely has been something ‘fishy’
about the moves management has made recently.

As the saying goes…

The fish rots from the head first.

Thats all fine and dandy Mean...and I get your point. I really honestly do.

But the close competitive games against Edmonton and WInnipeg came AFTER all this was done...so how is that explained? If I'm not mistaken, we had a similar result against BC earlier in the season when Charlie was there, and Williams was #2....how is that explained?