My thoughts on The Curse

bigcat: I think Bob Young has as much football sense, or more, as anyone else.
Sorry to have to resurrect this old issue but…he hired Greg Marshall (the first) as his first head coach. I think he listened too much to other football “experts” and replaced him too soon. That’s when the Head Coach “revolving door philosophy” began.

i think the curse is related to the raising of beer prices. Mark my words, the Cats will go to the grey cup this year.

We need to bring back the gold pants!! :cowboy:

Forgot about that one. Timing is perfect: I believe he was fired right after the 2002 season.

I still think that was one of the dumbest decisions Lancaster ever made - the defence has never regained its mojo. Conversely, one of the smartest was hiring Sutherin as his DC for the 1998 season after Sudsy crashed and burned as head coach in 1997. The D was fine, so Lancaster left it intact - coach included - and focused on fixing the offence.

Somthing's going on:

In an eight team league, seven of the teams have been in the Grey Cup at least twice since 2003. Can you guess which team has not been in any Grey Cup games in this period?

I believe in the curse of the logo.

I believe in the curse of the gold pants.

I don't believe in the curse of Sudsy...since he cost us the '98 Grey Cup.

Why are you always bringing up ownership. How many people are out there looking to buy and pay for a CFL team. Last count 0. Maybe 1 who now owns two because no buyer was found for the Argos in the biggest market in Canada.

I’m starting to think YOU and your posts are the curse. Your continuous negative comments about Bob Young have now approached boring.

Both Hamilton and Edmonton have been pretty bad since those two 2005 trades where Troy Davis went to the Eskimos and Jason Maas went to the Cats after the season was over. A lot of people thought those were a couple of sneaky deals, and now you get a decade of awful for both squads as punishment :smiley:

Could be onto something there. Though it’s not exactly equal punishment: at least Edmonton won the Grey Cup that year. That’s kind of like stealing a teacher’s car with a buddy, and you both get expelled … but somehow buddy gets to keep the car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V3iyN2kxtQ

And the continuous poor decisions by Cats management have now approached mind-boggling.

There’s no curse or bad luck – a team isn’t this bad for this long without numerous bad decisions being made by the front office.

The Undertaker Era has been an unmitigated disaster, hence said Undertaker is bound to take some flak.

Okay, I'm changing my source of the curse from the loss of the gold pants to the loss of the Hamilton economy.

From 1957 to 1967, the Tiger Cats won five Cups and 67% of their regular season and playoff games.
In 1965, Stelco and Dofasco employed 15000 workers in their mills for comparatively good money with regard to the cost of living then.

Being a steelworker and Tiger Cat fan used to be a big part of being a Hamiltonian.

Don't hate me for hanging onto our glorious past. We're all having trouble figuring out how to solve the current Cat woes. And if you think that believing in curses is for losers, aren't Cubs fans the biggest losers out there?

Oops ... 4 Cup wins in those 11 years ... 6 cup appearances though.

Oops again ... 9 Cup appearances in those eleven years. Is that right? Sounds like a real dynasty.

Tis right frankmad…9 Cup appearances…57,58,59,61,62,63,64,65,67…won 4 Cups in 11 yr span(57,63,65,67)
3 in a 5 yr span (63,65,67)…and 4 in a 10 yr span(63,65,67,72).At one time this franchise was the cornerstone of the league,and the team that every other team aspired to be like.Sad really,when you think of how far this team has fallen since then from perennial powerhouse to perennial door-mat.A great history thats been tarnished over the last 23 yrs.

Take a look at the Ar*** during a span from 1952 into the 80's. they were the cursed team then. From 1952 until 1983 they had only 3 appearances in the Grey Cup game. It took 31 years to win 2 cups.

And Bobo, instead of hiring coaches and GMs from other teams like we do now, we developed our own. During the 60s, we had Jake Gaudaur and Ralph Sazio. Jake left us to become the best commissioner in CFL history in '68. Ralph left us (maybe past his prime) to the Argos (where he did win a Cup or two). The table has certainly turned on the Cats.

YUP!!! And we’ve won 3 in 41 yrs. and been to 3 in the last 24yrs. Cursed Indeed!!!

You mean the season in which the defense was first in points against and had 5 CFL All-Stars?

Without Sudsy, maybe the team isn’t in the Grey Cup.

The curse is in the numbers. As long as the loss column is higher than the win column your cursed. The cure is simple.