My take on the game

First off, I'll be honest, I only watched until the 4th, as that was probably the most boring game of football I have ever witnessed.

Which means I missed Bauman's drops (and the loss).

However here's what I noticed:

• Good thing TSN has full coverage next year, I could not stand another game of Mark, Khari, and Steve. I actually muted the game so I wouldn't have to listen to what they actually believe is commentary.

• Throughout what I watched in the game the referee's missed some major calls (especially roughing the passer, I was under the impression the referee's were supposed to protect ALL QBs not just the ones that pay your salary).

• Offensive play calling was absolutely terrible. Never in any professional football game have I witnessed the same play call twice in ONE HALF. Twice in a game is rare and shouldn't happen, however twice in a half is sheer stupidity. Running to the left with the line doing as poor as it did the first time should have cued a light that said oh don't run that way, but of course, they ran that way with the same exact play a little later on in the half. Gass snuffed it out twice.

• Another take on offensive play calling & time management. What the hell happened at the end of the 2nd QTR? Come on guys, no hurry up offense? No last second field goal? From there they deserved to lose.

• Zone? Zone? Come on, we do not have a talented enough defense to run zone. I have no clue why they continue running a zone defense for the most part because a QB like Ricky Ray starts drooling when he sees such open receivers in a zone coverage.

• It's nice to see that Maas has an arm, first time I've seen him throw a ball that far (when Brock Ralph was a third of a second too slow)

• On Maas, I think he has gotten better, although I would like to smack him in the face for taking 4 sacks in one half. One of them was not his fault, however when one takes an hour in the pocket with the offensive-line playing as bad as they were one usually attempts to get that ball out there fast. Way to go Jason.

• Speaking of "Jason" I'm sure Jason Lumsden and Brett Ralph agree that the CFL on CBC should be no more.

• A slight note on Gass, he should not have been allowed to play and whilst watching the game I came up with a new suspension appeal idea. You should only be able to appeal the length of your suspension (meaning if it is OVER 1 game in length). If you do appeal you are NOT allowed to play and are considered suspended. The game you sat out is considered one game from your suspension. (So if a suspension is lowered from 2 games to 1 game, the player would be cleared to play)

• Why was nothing called on the extremely cheap helmet to back hit on Brock Ralph? I was in uproar about that. You do NOT lead with your helmet, ESPECIALLY when a player is already going down. MOST of ALL you do NOT lead with your helmet into the back of a player THAT IS ALMOST CERTAIN to cause an INJURY. That was pathetic. Now we know it's not just Gass who is dirty. It seems Edmonton is just taught that way.

• Setta is starting to worry me, he has been missing what would normally be easy kicks for him and his punting has been nothing short of abysmal. If he doesn't succeed in two weeks, competition should be brought in.

• I was impressed with the play of NML (always am), Maas (slightly), the majority of the receivers, and Lumsden for not losing his cool on either his offensive line or his mindless offensive coordinator.

• Also noted, our season is over, time to let some other players get some time. At 1-6 with the harder teams in the league still awaiting us, there seems to be no way back from here.

• On that note, I would like to see Chang and Williams get to split a game or two. Not to knock Maas at all. He gives our team the best chance to win, and he has played relatively well lately however the season is done and it would be great to give the youngsters some time to shine.

-Miller91-

Miller91: The above diatribe is full of holes. Some folks shouldn't bother to post immediately following a loss because they're still too hot under the collar and you may be one of those.

I agree with about 40% of what you wrote, otherwise, we have grave differences of opinions. (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

There are also several contradictions in your post for me to waste time expounding on because of it's length.

Why not cool off and come back in a couple of days in a better frame of mind.

I'm not even upset Rocky, I'm a little bewildered by the team, but I wouldn't mind the contradictions being pointed out.

I thought it was a pretty good summary. It's always neat to see a "whilst" worked into a sentence.

I witnessed a well played game with strong defense. Usually a low scoring game devoid of many turnovers indicates offenses executed well but were held back by better defense.

- Good thing TSN has full coverage next year, I could not stand another game of Mark, Khari, and Steve. I actually muted the game so I wouldn't have to listen to what they actually believe is commentary.
Agreed whole heartedly.
- Throughout what I watched in the game the referee's missed some major calls (especially roughing the passer, I was under the impression the referee's were supposed to protect ALL QBs not just the ones that pay your salary).
I wasn't so much irked by roughing the passer (which I do beleive is called more against Hamilton that against other teams) as I was the missed spearing call and the decision to suddenly call an incedental helmet tug as unecessary roughness.
- Offensive play calling was absolutely terrible. Never in any professional football game have I witnessed the same play call twice in ONE HALF. Twice in a game is rare and shouldn't happen, however twice in a half is sheer stupidity.
Teams tend to run a certain number of 'money plays' with slight variation several times a game. Every team in pro football does this. I don't see why you're so suprised.
- Zone? Zone? Come on, we do not have a talented enough defense to run zone. I have no clue why they continue running a zone defense for the most part because a QB like Ricky Ray starts drooling when he sees such open receivers in a zone coverage.
I agree we should have changed that up a bit.
- It's nice to see that Maas has an arm, first time I've seen him throw a ball that far (when Brock Ralph was a third of a second too slow)
Consistent play by Maas but he could have got some of his deep throws out deeper. It might have saved Bauman from all the goat talk.
- Speaking of "Jason" I'm sure Jason Lumsden and Brett Ralph agree that the CFL on CBC should be no more.
Again, couldn't agree more.
- A slight note on Gass, he should not have been allowed to play.
Agreed. Of course while appealing he was allowed to play Hamilton. Now another team will likely benefit from his suspension while Hamilton struggles on.
- Why was nothing called on the extremely cheap helmet to back hit on Brock Ralph? I was in uproar about that.
Yep and in BC our own Anderson was called for spearing while leading with his shoulder on a QB still pushing forward. Very consistent eh?
- Setta is starting to worry me, he has been missing what would normally be easy kicks for him and his punting has been nothing short of abysmal.
Started strong and is struggling a tad more as of late. I'd give him another week to see if he comes out of it.
- Also noted, our season is over, time to let some other players get some time. At 1-6 with the harder teams in the league still awaiting us, there seems to be no way back from here.
Playing 1 game out of third with 11 to go. It is not over by any means and plenty can happen. I don't expect to make the playoffs because of our lack of consistency but its the CFL.
- On that note, I would like to see Chang and Williams get to split a game or two.
I'd like to see Chang get some game time but not at the expense of established offensive momentum. Not until we're mathematically out.

I agree with the above. Mckay & Lumsden showed a lot of effort. The hit on Ralph should have been called spearing, Ralph was already on the ground. Gass should not of been allowed to play. The whole suspension and appealing process needs to be revised.

I'm not sure about Setta. We'll see what happens vs Montreal.

Last nights game was very winnable. I think what concerns me more is the continuing changes being made. We made some changes even after winning against the Bombers. At some point, perhaps we should start giving the team as it exists one or two games to settle before moving people around or moving people in.

(But then again...in another thread I wondered about the possibility of bringing back Joe to give us more pass rush...so what do I know?)

(Wallace) (But then again...in another thread I wondered about the possibility of bringing back Joe to give us more pass rush...so what do I know?)
From the appearance of our pass rush, you know plenty, Wallace, and I fully concur. We still don't have the defensive ends that have enough CFL capability. Our sack record is very poor and opposing QBs have an outrageous amount of time to autograph footballs while they wait for our guys to get to them.