My dad ran across the field, please help me find a video.

My dad passed away 2 weeks ago on April 18. We are having a wake for him soon, and I thought it would be cool if I could get a copy of this video somehow and maybe play it at his wake. Please excuse my ignorance to football and my lack of proper terms! I was not the fan my dad was, he was one of the biggest and most loyal Riders fans.

I can't remember the year, but I do remember it was the year the CFL changed their goal posts to the fork type post. My dad was bet $5.00 that he would run across McMahon Stadium. He did it. His brother followed. Fans flooded out and started climbing the goal posts, at which point, I believe it was tipped over. My dad spent a night in jail for that but it was one of his best memories. It's one of my favourite stories.

My grandfather was watching the game commenting on the stupid idiots running across the field and my grandmother commented that one of them looked a lot like her son...

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, I miss him dearly and was hoping maybe one of you could help me find this video to watch and maybe show my mom.

Thanks.

Sorry for your lost. I lost my Dad 10 years ago and my Mom 5 years ago and I miss them both very very much. I wish I could help out with your quest. I know your not a football fan but it may help if you could narrow it down to whether it was a regular season game or a playoff game. I would think it was a play off game.I hope you have luck in finding it and again my deepest condolences for your lost.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't know whether or not it was a playoff game. I did find out the year was 1974, though. If that helps anyone. I was contacted by someone who works in the TV industry and they are going to check their archives. If that doesn't pan out I have a few other avenues to try, as well.

Try phoning QR 77 radio in Calgary. Mark Steven should be able to help you out. I think he knows all with Stamps home games.

Thank you so much, I will give it a try. :slight_smile:

I hate to say it but if it really was the year the goalposts changed, there's very little chance of any videotape surfacing. Many games were not televised back then, and those that were were not archived by the networks, which used to record over previous programs on the same reel of videotape. There are only a handful of regular-season games from the 1960s and '70s on the collectors market.