My CFL Wish List Beyond 2015

Here we go.

1 - Start the season in June and only have 16 games. The GC will be in Oct. Nov playoffs is when you have poor support. People do not like to sit for 4 hours in a blizzard. Winnipeg Nov 2015. Yikes.

2 - Back to 16 games. Should never have gone to 18 in 86. As a ticket holder I do not want to see a team twice and the again in the playoffs. Besides it would save a few injuries.

3 - Single point. Hate it.
Poor kicker, he missed so lets give him a sympathy point.
The reason behind this is the receiving team has possession and either gives up or runs out.

Consider this. Often the kick is wide and out. There is no chance for a return. Yet the sympathy point is awarded.
Also when a DB makes a pick in the end zone and goes down on one knee, he does not give up a point.
Why should there be on a missed FG ?

4 - Why not go to 4 downs. Scoring was down and there were questions on how to get scoring up.
This would do it. Our unique Canadian game would not be hurt with 4 downs.

I am sure these items have been considered and debated before.

Doubt the CFL will change much , but as a long time fan , this is what I suggest.

brihind88
Calgary

naah, doesn't work for me

Agree. I can live with the season being started early but that is the extent of it.

1. No
  2. No
  3. No
  4. No, No, No

but do keep posting. All ideas welcome.

Agree. All new posters are welcome.

1. Yes. I won't go to a GC in an open air stadium in November. Plus, football can't start early enough for me. :slight_smile:

2. No. Don't want to go back to 4 pre-season games. Keep the more meaningful games.

3. YES, YES, YES,!!! Stupidest rule in the CFL. In fact, if a field goal is missed and goes out of play thereby preventing the defending team a chance to return the kick, the defending team should get a point. Would make the kicking team think twice about trying for three and being able to come away with one point or at worst no points.

4. Have you lost your mind? Should we shorten and narrow the field as well? Next you'll be suggesting amalgamation with another football league. :roll:

Agree FYB.

1. Yes, dead on. 2. No, that would definitely lose it for me to ever be a season ticket holder again paying for 4 meaningless games unless these were basically free. 3. Love the single point and the strategy it brings to the game. 4. Yes again, dead on and what I think the CFL should do starting this season.

Just watch the NFL then. The CFL game is fine as it is.

WOW, I struck out on this one. I am in the minority.

Some of you got confused by your own assumptions.

Where in my post did I say I wanted to go back to 4 preseason games ? No way.

I stated 16 games only. There would still be only 2 preseason games.

I hate the NFL and will not watch it.
Yet just because I want to get rid of the failure point to suggest I want a shorter field ? Where did that come from ?

I get it. It is human nature to resist change.
Want to improve something - no, if it ain't broke . don't fix it .

I remember very well prior to 1974. the CFL west played 16 games while the east only played 14.
In 74 the CFL decided all teams should play 16.
There were so many among fans and media that were against that because it went against CFL tradition.
There were also many against the cross over . Again because it was against tradition.

I think both those changes went well.

From now on any post I make , I will try to be more clear. Just so people do not have to make assumptions

Agree with this.

If someone disagrees with you it's not because it's "resistance to change", it's because they think your changes would be mistakes.

You say you "hate" the NFL, but all your changes would be making the league more like the NFL.

I partially agree with you about the single point, as I believe most do. On all kicking, if the ball is unplayable by the receiving team, then no point, but if the ball hits the ground or a receiving player before it goes out of bounds, or if the receiving player fails to run it out, then it should still be a single.

The FG attempt single would not be rewarding the FG failing, but a reward for the receiving teams failure to field a fieldable ball and run it out

For once we are in agreement.

I do not see how 16 games ( each team plays each other twice ) and moving the season up 1 month is all that bad of an idea.
Guess I am the only guy who hates sitting in a blizzard. That would be the last home game here in Calgary against the WPeg.
Like the wimp I am , I went home at half time.

However 99% are against, so I will admit I am wrong on all counts.

as far as moving up the schedule, attendance is usually lower during the summer than after labour day.

Well now that I think about it, I guess the CFL has more important things to worry about.
Like how to save the Argos from folding up. There is a real danger of that happening.
In a couple of years we might be going back to an 8 team league.
Or how does Atlantic Argos sound.?

Oh no, sorry . I did not just say that.

Better they fold than move. Or is it better to move than fold ?

I mean which ever does not get everyone upset.

[quote="FootbalYouBet"]I partially agree with you about the single point, as I believe most do. On all kicking, if the ball is unplayable by the receiving team, then no point, but if the ball hits the ground or a receiving player before it goes out of bounds, or if the receiving player fails to run it out, then it should still be a single.

The FG attempt single would not be rewarding the FG failing, but a reward for the receiving teams failure to field a fieldable ball and run it out[/

I can live with the miss FG extra point if the ball is playable ie bounces in bounds at least once, however in our game, you get the points by having the ball cross the Goalline, you can run it pass it or kick it, that is why the point is awarded, not because of a miss FG, it's awarded because the ball has cross the Goalline

Starting the season a month earlier in June is good in theory, but there are obstacles that would make that impossible.

Foremost is that University semesters run into around mid May. In starting in the beginning of June that would bring training camp to starting the beginning of May.
Many CFL rookie draft picks and rookie Free Agents who would be completing the semester to graduate would miss a good portion of Training camp.
Training Camps are also held at University Campus facilities. University facilities are ideal for Training Camp with 70-80 players needing housing, Full Cafeteria area's to that can hold and feed the mass of players expecially at the beginning of camp, Meeting rooms and other training facilities right on site, and easy access for players and coaches to get to the field.
The possibility of moving the season up a week or two, which would move training camp up a week or two could be possible.

With the 20 week season now again pushing the GC back a week a serious look at moving the season and training camp up a week would make sense.

moving the season and Training Camp up two weeks could also be possible. This would neatly place the last week of the season to the last week of October. For promotion and Marketing it would have November as CFL playoff month.

With CFL adding a bye week when with 8 teams to create a 19th week for network revenue was created. With the odd number 9 teams a second bye week was needed bringing the season to 20 weeks. A 10th team can bring it back to 19 weeks bringing the GC up 3 weeks from where it is now.
If seen as an option with 10 teams eliminating the bye week all together would bring the season end up to the last week of October.

I wouldn't mind seeing the season start earlier by 2-4 weeks, but that's not a perfect solution for attendance either. In late fall, attendance drops off in the prairies but not necessarily elsewhere in the country.

I also like having 18 games. Makes for more drama over the course of the season.

I also like the rouge because I don't like giving teams sympathy yards for failing to keep the ball out of their goal. If a kick goes through the goal, it should be a point. However, I agree that an INT in the endzone should not be given sympathy yards. The defending team who takes a knee should also forfeit a point because they let the ball get into their goal. One solution I wouldn't mind examining for these situations is giving the defending team a choice: surrender a point and take the yards (25 or 30) or do not surrender a point but scrimmage from the goal line or one-yard line. It just doesn't make sense to me to give them free sympathy yards.

Scoring was down last season, but let's not rush into going to 4 (or why not 5 or 6) downs if there's not a long-term trend there. Historically, the 3-down game has produced more scoring than the 4-down game has.

I'd like to see the league implement a sustained, long-term advertising campaign. In mid-spring, we should be getting reminded how nice it is to be outside watching CFL football in the summer (instead of being planted on the couch all winter watching whatever), which is coming soon. In early August, we should be getting reminded how intense and traditional the CFL rivalries are (but also how we're all fans at the end of the game--don't necessarily want a repeat of the Lysko-era rivarly ads that featured stereotypes).