My Attempt at a Balanced Perspective

Having read some of the posts by the Caretaker recently on offering constructive critism, rather than just negativity, I’ll take my best shot.

Quarterback: If we truly are rebuilding, why do we keep throwing Maas out there? Chang seems like he could develop into a great QB with some experience. Let’s give him a shot. All this talk about Maas losing his confidence if he’s benched is hogwash. He lost his starting job to Ricky Ray and he made out just fine. Maybe he’s just more effective coming off the bench. Worst case scenario, a Maas with no confidence couldn’t be any worse than what we have now.

Defense: Shaw has definitely lost a step, and we need to look at finding a replacement as soon as possible. He took a bad penalty tonight that cost us one touchdown, and made a brutal play on another deep pass that cost us another TD. The defensive line looked much better tonight. Absolutely loved McKay, great free agent signing. Armour was good, has lots of heart, and Moreno looked good (especially on special teams). Our D was just on the field too long tonight, they’ll get better.

Receivers: Gardner should be put back on the practise roster so he can actually PRACTISE!!! Dropped catchable balls, route running was terrible. He wasn’t on the same page with the QB (not even in the same book). What’s with Brock Ralph and the offside penalties? Tonight’s didn’t really cost us since it would have been 3rd and 5 anyway, but he really needs to concentrate on the snap count. We should get him one of those invisible fence dog collars. In practise, everytime he crosses the line of scrimmage before the snap he gets zapped. Eventually he’ll get the message.

Special Teams: Setta is definitely the answer here. His punts are great. The coverage team just needs to hold up a little so we stop getting all the No Yards penalties.

Backfield: Lumsden looks like he’ll be great. Wasn’t sold on Dickerson, he dropped a pass in the endzone that looked catchable. I’m a big Radlein fan, so maybe I’m biased.

Hope that was balanced, it was a pretty ugly, frustrating night. It’s hard not to let a little of that frustration creep in.

Backfield: Lumsden looks like he'll be great. Wasn't sold on Dickerson, he dropped a pass in the endzone that looked catchable. I'm a big Radlein fan, so maybe I'm biased
and try to remember that you also have a potential league MVP being totally wasted and misused.

I'd say that was balanced, and quite well done. What was said there about Maas vs. Chang made sense to me, although the play of the offensive line should be noted in how it affected the quarterbacks, and how it led to fewer rushing yards. And the quarterbacks and receivers certainly need to get on the same page. And very soon. And I do like your suggestion about what we should do to prevent Ralph from going offside.

And I'd also have to say that Moreno, McKay-Loescher, and Armour played well on defence. Moreno also appears to be great to have on special teams. Setta did well, aside from that shank, but there certainly were not many positves to discuss here.

Poindexter said

Quarterback: If we truly are rebuilding,
why do we keep throwing Maas out there?

because, IMO. it doesn't make sense
for both the rookie quarterback
or his inexperienced team-mates.

These thought come to mind

The blind leading the blind.

The inadequately prepared leading
the inadequately prepared.

Two basketball images comes to mind.

A rookie pro point guard 'quarterbacking'
or distributing the ball to veteran players
who know the plays and know how to get open.

A rookie point guard playing with other rookies
who are inexperienced and inadequately prepared.

Chang seems like he could develop into a great QB with some experience.

Let's give him a shot.

Positives from last night's game:

D-line was good, especially Mackay-Loescher, pressured the QB and stopped the run.

Linebackers were solid, Moreno is a great find

Defensive backfield was adequate, except for Wayne Shaw at safety - replace him with Kari Kari, if Cody is back next week and we'll have a solid defense.

Kicking game has the potential to be a match winner, just need to get Setta to angle the ball a bit lower when he's kicking against the wind. The hang time is awesome, one of his kicks in the first half went so high it came down with snow on it.

The offense? no comment