My Annual "End the QB war at training camp" thread

Ok, Hi guys!.......Looks like things are boring on the website lately and I apologize for not having much time to particpate much, but maybe this thread will stir things up a bit (in a good way)....lol

Each year for the past 3 years, I've put the call out to end the silly notion that Quarterbacks should compete in training camp....I have always stood behind my belief that they shouldn't be competing during those two short weeks..... even when I get endlessly dissed for saying so..... :lol:

Seriously, we should be assessing all our QB's in private team mini-camps during March-April and by the time camp comes around the QB position should be set so that all the rooks and veterans know exactly what the plan is when camp starts......

...this will also help the coaches formulate an offensive plan for the year much earlier and more effectively, knowing who the #1, #2 and #3 is straight up.....and the other players will perform much better in camp knowing what the score is....

I always maintain that the QBs are only one step removed from the coaches and should not be competing for their spots in front of the rest of the team.....

And finally, if the QB pecking order is established way before camp, the 3 QBs have time to get their act together as a mini-team (friends and colleagues) and will work together in tandem, knowing their roles, to help the team as a whole prepare....it's just a philosophy I happen to believe in.

......discuss :cowboy: (respectfully please) 8)

Mikey, theres nothing wrong with healthy competition. It brings out the best in some and wrost in some others. Quarterbacks are no different. And usually going into camp the coaches already have an idea, but camp establishs pecking order. Example. Lets say in camp last year Maas was the annointed starter, with Eakin behind him. That left Josten (yes i remember his name) and Williams batteling it out for 3rd. Had we chosen Josten over Williams, who knows what could have happened. So what im trying to say is you dont know what you have until you start camp. Anybody, who is good enough and most skilled, should be able to WIN the job, not have it handed to them by experience, off seasonsing signing, etc. and in just to answer my curiosity, did yu ever play football in an organized league of some sort Mikey?

did yu ever play football in an organized league of some sort Mikey?
Yup...

However, let's not discuss me.....just my idea....

I respect your response...next :wink:

Who are the Ticats going to bring in to fill the roles of
our Offensive team players for the QBs to run plays with? :?

and where will we get Defensiive players to defend against them? :?

Any volunteers?

Too bad you're a punter, mikey. :frowning:

Let's see.

We can use 11 Gold pylons for the Offensive team.

and 12 Black pylons for the Defensive team :smiley:

...no that won't work ..who would move them from place to place? :frowning:

mikey, you could volunteer to help out here. :slight_smile:

I bet you're fast enough to move at least 3 pylons each play. :lol:

Ron, if your answer is going to be meaningless and stupid, at least make it funny and worth reading :wink:

imho Mikey, any cfl team needs two capable qb,s out of training camp,injuries, slumps, etc, make it nearly impossible for a cfl team to have a winning record without 2 qb,s, and even a capable rookie as #3and 4-ie-sacobie

As stated above, who are the QB's going to work out with in March and April. And what happens if an injury occurs?

Also, what about all the people that complained this year that Mass was given the starters role before the season started? This would be even worse.

Doesn't the league's collective agreement with the players association set limits on things like when training camp starts, and how many hours a day the team is allowed to practice? I'm thinking any organized workouts prior to training camp would be contrary to that agreement.

I think you're right ExPat. I seem to remember that some players got together in the offseason on there own to train, but it wasn't organized by the team.

Ok, Hi guys!.......Looks like things are boring on the website lately and I apologize for not having much time to particpate much, but maybe this thread will stir things up a bit (in a good way)....lol
Me neither, but this annual post is usually enough to bring me out of my annual "We're terrible so im not posting till the spring hibernation"
Each year for the past 3 years, I've put the call out to end the silly notion that Quarterbacks should compete in training camp....I have always stood behind my belief that they shouldn't be competing during those two short weeks..... even when I get endlessly dissed for saying so.....
Is it just me or would you be two faced when you wait till about week 3 to ask for the backup QB? By your theory the head coach has already decided on his starter and they have earned the role... Interesting since you have called for the benching of McManus and Maas over the past 3 years... so you only want the starter named ahead of time if its your guy?
Seriously, we should be assessing all our QB's in private team mini-camps during March-April and by the time camp comes around the QB position should be set so that all the rooks and veterans know exactly what the plan is when camp starts......

...this will also help the coaches formulate an offensive plan for the year much earlier and more effectively, knowing who the #1, #2 and #3 is straight up.....and the other players will perform much better in camp knowing what the score is....

Surely you arent suggesting the Ticats do something against the rules are you? Coaches are not allowed on the field or even in the stands evaluating talent until the first day of training camp, this is not the NFL and players under contract are not allowed to be "showing their stuff" before camp starts.
I always maintain that the QBs are only one step removed from the coaches and should not be competing for their spots in front of the rest of the team.....
Do you not think the QB, as the leader of the team, needs to take the team and show them that he is the man to lead them? Dont you want the team to rally around him and earn that respect that goes with EARNING the starting job?
And finally, if the QB pecking order is established way before camp, the 3 QBs have time to get their act together as a mini-team (friends and colleagues) and will work together in tandem, knowing their roles, to help the team as a whole prepare....it's just a philosophy I happen to believe in.
Since the team cant hold these "mini-camps" you speak of, do you now change your tune a bit? We cant just go in to camp and name the starters based on nothing other than past experience, this year shows that even when a guy EARNS the spot in camp (Maas did), it still means nothing in the long run.

Just one last question... Did you not say sometime that kickers should not have the competition either? That they were "Of a different sort" or something like that and we need to give our starter the confidence even if hes as awful as Jamie Boreham? So this begs the question.... should there be ANY competition in camp or should we just use the two weeks of camp to invite 44 players and start practice early?

Blatant troll.

Funny, thought you said, after numerous backtracks and contradictions, you were looking forward to Eakin coming back and competing for the starter's role. Now you dont think there should be competition at all.

When has there been a "war" exactly? Brady and Eakins have been duds.And from day one NEVER in contention to take over.

Go back as far as you like The starting QB the team has fielded almost without question has been the best QB the team had.

If you want to keep baiting, trolling and pulling thoughts out of your arse with no basis in fact or reality, go nuts, just dont cry to the mods or play the martyr.

Zontar, he was posting with the purpose of stirring up trouble and discussion. He says it in his post. Dont you ever read?
and you are correct. Brady and Eakin have and never will be in contention for starting

Mikey's idea of a "discussion" is to throw some idea out in the hopes will someone will agree. When the criticism comes, which it always does because his posts like this one are almost always nonsense and contradictory, the "discussion" goes silent.

That's a good point of course....thanks for reminding me of that.

Perhaps a change in the rules for assessing QBs early could be arranged ?......I just think that if the QB positions were already set early, the time in the formal training camp could be better spent assessing the bazillion new receivers, running backs etc. that arrive in camp.

Also, perhaps the McMaster Marauders receivers and running backs could help in my proposed mini-camp for our QB hopefuls....I'm sure they'd love to help as they would be no worse than many of the rooks we bring into camp.....and maybe less nervous because nothing is on the line for them at that point (and they could pick up some pointers along the way)

Anuone else have any thoughts to add?.....I welcome them all......even from Zontar :wink:

Still trying to figure out what you mean.

What is the diff. between having a "war" at a mini camp (which they cant have) or a "war" at training camp?

Do you want a competition or not?

Do YOU even have the slightest clue about what you're talking about?

Do YOU even have the slightest clue about what you're talking about?
If I don't Zontar, I can always count on you to post within seconds to fill me in and set me on the straight and narrow :lol:

Not becasue it's from mikey but in all seriousness the above quote is easily the most ridiculous and jaw-droppingly preposterous thing I have ever read in here.

I'm not kidding.

Thanks for recognizing that my answer
is in keeping with mikey's proposition.

As we have seen up to this point, BarrencheaFan,
many posters are taking mike's thread seriously.

P.S

Zontar!

You took a full night's sleep
to respond to mikey's post.

You are slipping!

Tsk Tsk!

So much for the “discussion”

He's well over a thousand posts, cant keep up, I surrender.