Muamba Signs

Now reported the Riders are also interested. They own the top pick. This is more interesting.

Hubba Hubba

Farhan Lalji:

GM Jim Popp has had discussions with multiple teams about trade for LB Henoc Muamba. Any package would need to start w high draft picks. CFL teams have been inquiring about Muamba for past month. Popp doing due diligence. Doesn't expect to move ratio changing LB.

OK, Hfx, you ready to climb down off that window ledge? :smiley:

Not sure yet, can you send me a gatorade. :x

We just signed another National linebacker in Kevin Reginbald Gagner.. Now I'm even more confused. Muamba, Boulay, Gagner, Shorthill ...

You must be talking about Kevin Regimbald who was with Saskatchewan the last 3 years; has been injured most of the time.

Me too,HfxTC, I am confused. I don't understand this signing. Why?

Richard

Good news if true! Johnny doesn't want Muamba to leave. What a strange day Als wise! :?

Régimbald-Gagné wouldn't fit on the back of his uniform. But the answer to the "why?" is simple - he speaks French and that is not much in demand in Regina. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, I don't buy this local boy thingy one bit.

Popp does not play that game. Over the years he has brought in questionable candidates of all backgrounds, be they nationals, non-nationals, anglophones or francophones. How quickly you forget the likes of Chad Johnson and Michael Sam. Not to mention several American coaches who were unable to adapt to the CFL game, and who are paid to stay at home. In fact, Popp has brought in so many imports in recent years that have not panned out that one could argue, as some journalists do, whether or not he is deliberately not promoting locals.

Ignore that guy, AlsPhil. He takes every opportunity to denigrate Canada and/or French-Canadians. Because every American player and coach, no matter how incompetent, is the "best possible candidate"; every Canadian must have only earned his job on the strength of his passport or his language. :roll:

I dont see Regimbalds signing as anything more than adding depth for special teams. You need linebackers on special teams, and lots of them as these guys are often injured.

As for his name, the team has to be sensitive to its marketplace, it is also a business. But his name isn`t going to determine if he makes the team or not.

Pourtant, on voit Brodeur-Jourdain et on a vu Charbonneau-Campeau à sa première saison avec les Timinous.

Je vois la mise sous contrat de Kevin Regimbald-Gagné comme une faveur faite par Popp à un agent en se disant qu'il n'a rien à perdre. Je crois qu'il va surtout être en compétition pour le poste de Boulay ou celui de Tuck. Nicolas ne semble pas émerger comme secondeur. C'est pas mal sa dernière année pour se faire une place.

Money is money. This roster right now is littered with guys like KRG.

When I first got to our Forum I read that Popp has been talking to other GM's about Muamba. I can't recall exactly the source of this info but, reading back, I noted that this has been a subject noted by another user of our Forum. I find the wait re this player is frustrating. I'm sure others are feeling the same way.

Timeline:

-From Herb Zurkowsky: "Hearing the #Als are shopping non-import MLB Henoc Muamba. Edm would seem to be most-likely destination. The addition of non-import DT Vaughn Martin potentially makes Henoc Muamba expendable in a trade."
-Public Reaction: Wow; the Als want to get rid of Henoc Muamba.

-From Didier Orméjuste: "The Alouettes owe a bonus to Henoc Muamba on February 16th. A transaction or releasing him before this date are possibilities"
-Public Reaction: Als overspent on free agency and want him gone by the 16th so they do not have to pay the bonus.

-From Herb Zurkowsky: "Hearing Edmonton Esks are interested in Henoc Muamba. Might be willing to relinquish first-round draft choice.'
-Public Reaction: Als seem desperate and might not get full value.

From Justin Dunk: "The Eskimos and Riders have reportedly been receptive with regards to possible trade talks. Montreal needs to trim some salary for cap reasons."
-Public Reaction: At least the Als might get a high draft choice.

From Farhan Lalji: "Als GM Jim Popp has had discussions with multiple teams about trade for LB Henoc Muamba. Any package would need to start w high draft picks. CFL teams have been inquiring about Muamba for past month. Popp doing due diligence. Doesn't expect to move ratio changing LB.
-Public Reaction: Not much as everybody realized the Als might not be actively trying to trade Muamba after all.

That is what it comes down to. Which is more likely true?

1. Popp wants to get rid of Henoc Muamba for performance, roster, or monetary reasons.
    or
  2. Inquiry from other teams is just routine GM talk, and nothing here is unusual.

My take is that Popp was trolling Maumba to other teams, to see what they may offer.

The response he may have gotten from Edm. and Sask. was they might be willing to offer a 1st round draft choice, but after Popp paid next week`s $60,000 bonus.

That ended the story.

One of the interested teams leaked the info to try and pressure Popp into making the deal and it backfired in their face and he pulled back.

I'll just go with:

Teams talk all the time about tons of stuff that never come to fruition, because if you don't ask nothing happens

But reporters try to analyze the significance of every utterance that is whispered to them.

Somebody leaked it.

1- His agent: So that Muamba could try the NFL window for free
2- GM trying to a acquire him
3- GM who didn't want him to be moved