Muamba Signs

What's so BRUTAl? He will find work elsewhere.

Richard

Je trouve que ce serait une décision à courte vue. J'imagine mal Popp tenter d'échanger maintenant Muamba alors qu'un bonus doit être versé la semaine prochaine. Je pense que Popp tente de voir s'il peut monnayer quelque chose pour Muamba qui commande un gros salaire maintenant qu'il sait qu'il peut aligner un joueur national sur la ligne défensive.

Le joueur qui me semblerait peut-être intéressant serait Matt O'Donnell. Je n'ai pas été très impressionné de son jeu à sa première année mais il a progressé depuis. O'Donnell pourrait être un successeur possible au poste laissé vacant par Bourke.

I feel for Muamba but this is a business. With Martin in the fold, we can start a national at DT and save Muamba's salary against the cap without losing anything at MLB (Woods and Elsworth are more than capable of doing the job). I'll expect a release before Feb. 16 rather than a trade; we're not in a great position to get assets.

Sorry but this decision puts Jim Popp in the same category as Jones and Barker as far as I am concerned. I like Martin's signing but we don't even know what kind of CFL'er he's going to make.

Not really. Martin replaces Bourke, we trade or cut Muamba, we are still short one National starter unless Ruby wins the job. But now we know who SJ was hinting at.

Maybe SJ is secretly running the team :lol:

We overspent so it makes sense to put him on the block now if you want a draft pick coming back your way, which is usually the price for a National All Star.

I didnt think his signing was necessary. But by the same token you dont romance an in demand free agent in Sept. and then dump him in Feb.

Popp will definitely lose some credibility with agents the next time a similar free agent situation comes up.

Feel durtee as phuk

Well, I agree that we don’t know what kind of CFL player Martin will be. That is certainly a gamble. The first part I will disagree. We signed Muamba midseason last year, paid him handsomely with a good chunk of money upfront when we were still in a playoff race. Then our playoff hopes unravelled. This year, our needs might be different. I sympathize with Muamba but I don’t see what Jim has done wrong here.

You really think they’re going to put themselves in that position when Ruby and White are on the roster? I think the whole reason they didn’t offer Bourke the same salary is because they think Ruby’s ready. Jim isn’t an idiot and he knows how to protect his CanCon.

Also, it is very possible that Jim and Thorpe didn’t like what they saw from Muamba last season after he signed with us. Maybe Quick didn’t like something from the film. Things can change.

I don’t like it. It goes against all the proven methods of building a CFL roster.

As for Quick he should have no say. He’s lucky he has a job.

Bear Woods has been in Montreal four years and spent three of those on the IR and this is what we want to go with as our MLB !

The whole thing is ridiculous. Woods is the one who should be cut and if more is required then you have to look at a guys like Hebert, Lewis and others. Not a 26 year old Montrealer who played 3 games mid-season in a system he’s not familiar with.

What? Look, every team is going to find itself in this kind of situation once in a while. It’s not ideal but Jim has to protect the team. He’s not a guy who does this all the time. And like I said, Muamba has already been paid a lot of money for 1/5 of a season’s work.

As for Quick he should have no say. He's lucky he has a job.
Dude, he's the linebacker coach. You really think he shouldn't have a say in his LB personnel?
Bear Woods has been in Montreal four years and spent three of those on the IR and this is what we want to go with as our MLB !
Have you forgotten Elsworth, who is three years younger than Muamba? Maybe the plan is to start Woods knowing that Elsworth will likely get a shot and can fill in with no trouble. Let's not judge before we know how all the dominos will fall.
The whole thing is ridiculous. Woods is the one who should be cut and if more is required then you have to look at a guys like Hebert, Lewis and others. Not a 26 year old Montrealer who played 3 games mid-season in a system he's not familiar with.
You want to cut Hebert, who has given so much to the team, or Lewis, who posted up great numbers for a no. 4 receiver last year despite the gong show, in favor of a guy who only came here because we overpaid for him? I don't give a crap that Muamba is from Montreal TBH (and no offense).

Also, all we have right now are Twitter rumors. No confirmed facts. Let's take a step back and put away the pitchforks. :smiley:

One of the things that bothered me about the Maumba signing was what would happen with the development of Nick Shortill.

While we saw in his limited playing time he wasn`t quite ready, he had been touted as a potential Shea Emry.

There were the injuries to Woods, Ellsworth, and I think Shortill also that might have motivated Popp to pursue Maumba.

But you brought him to the dance, you have a certain commitment.

Herb Zurkowsky says Eskimos are interested and might be willing to give up a 1st round Draft Choice.

....Funny Bombers aren't interested...Treated us pretty shabby when he returned and didn't give us a chance to even talk...I don't know what happened between the team and Muamba but whatever it was we have soured on him and so apparently have the Als..Is it the 'my dreams are dashed cuz I can't make it down south' syndrome...If so good luck to any CFL club that'll take him on at his asking price. :thdn:

Thanks for the information okie. Great if a team is interested and ready to give a draft choice.

Richard

But wouldnt that be kind of stupid? If they wait till next week when the Als might be forced to release him, they dont have to pay the $60,000 bonus, they can renegotiate his contract, and dont have to give up the draft choice. Unless theyre afraid there will be other bidders.

If they wait till next week maybe the Als pay the 60k and put him on the market when there is more demand of if a team loses a player to injury or if they cut him outright maybe there are more teams interested. Remember he has 112k of his deal already paid. Even with the 60k portion of his 2016 deal owed its still probably below what he would get on the FA market.

Edmonton is drafting 8th. so getting Muamba for two years at 200k per season isn’t a bad deal. There are only half a dozen blue chippers in this draft and and they all have NFL interest.

I still don’t like the deal but at least the Als have something and they may be able to package 8 and 11 for a better pick.

My guess is the Als will get #8th for Muamba and pick 19 or 28th something like that.

Yeah, I think either we flip him for a future or we hang on to him, swallow the 60k, and trade him to fill another team's need during the season.