Mr. D: CBC TV Show

While vacationing in Montreal back in 2017, I came across the hilarious show, Mr. D, on CBC. Upon returning back to the states I immediately ordered seasons 1 and 2 off Amazon, the only ones available to US viewers and slowly watched most of the other 6 seasons through quasi-legal streams online. Recently, Amazon Prime added the entire series to its streaming catalog and I'm watching in chronological order, almost done with season 4.

How big was this show in Canada? It had 8 seasons, yet when I search online there's very little discussion or forums dedicated to this show. The quality did suffer towards the end, but to last 8 seasons and have so little discussion bewilders me.

Never heard of it…

1 Like

I liked that show a lot. I didnt think it ran for 8 season. it was another one of those CBC series , like Schitts Creek ,that really grew on me.

1 Like

The show is about an inept substitute Phys. Ed teacher who somehow works his way up the teaching ranks, and eventually becomes principal.

2 Likes

Gerry Dee is the worst comedian out there. Dude is never funny, has bad comedy chops, I wouldn't give this guy a job as MC at a sleazy strip club

Never heard of it . . .

1 Like

Hammer the Slammer. Too funny. :grinning:

1 Like

Yup Dave is on a hate roll.

Here is an hilarious totally ad-libbed unscripted scene from Trailer Park Boys .
Dee plays the head of the guards who wants to early release Ricky and Julian so they can't play against the guards in the prison ball hockey tournament .

I honestly don't know how they managed to get through this without totally cracking up laughing . The big prison dude four or five down the row from Julian is hilarious . :rofl: You can also see the extras playing inmates in line trying their hardest not to crackup .
Anyways here is the video . * NSFW coarse language .

1 Like

I see and hear talent when I know it. Dee is no Bill Burr or Dave Chappelle. The guy never made me laugh. Dee has that Michael Buble thing going on, a mystery on why he is in the spotlight. If there wasn't any CanCon, Dee would be cashing welfare cheques or making meth in a trailer park

I thought the show was fairly good. Never seen him live doing stand-up comedy or watched him do this but I thought the show was worth watching. Not up there with Shitt's Creek or Kim's Convenience but decent.

1 Like

I agree, his standup is pretty "hacky" and reminded me of a less vulgar Bob Saget. Like Saget though, he does a good job with scripted material and with a great supporting cast. Secretary Trudy and Mr. Leung, the librarian until season 4, really steal the show. Many times, Gerry is the 4th or 5th funniest character on the show.

2 Likes

Yeah...only Dave DH in his hate roll is suggesting that Dee should be judged on whether he is a great stand-up comic. He was in a comedy tv show that was written and produced in that quirky CBC way. I liked the show and unlike Dave I'm not comparing Dee to anyone, much less great stand-up guys.

2 Likes

Off topic quickly: DaveDH what do you think about the BC Lions efforts to bring the game to Indigenous youth? Very surprised that you didn't weigh in there.

Dee is hack comedian. I know 10 guys growing up that are funnier than him, but they weren't gifted a TV show.. Hell I can come up with better material than Dee. Dee should get guys to write his material or find another occupation

I agree and support the wonderful work that the BC Lions are doing to bring the game to Indigenous youth. I'm envious. I wish that there was a program like that when I was growing up